What do you do with high quality toasted sesame oil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Besides the usual Chinese recipes I use it in, I use it in sweets, in which sesame seeds are the main flavor. A cookie I make every holiday season I use 3/4 of a stick of butter, instead of the original whole stick, and 2 tb of sesame oil. The original recipe had 3/4 c of sesame seeds, but with the oil, I only use 1/4 c, and it tastes much stronger, with that oil.

What I do with sesame oil is use it fast. As others have said, it can go off quickly, and with no warning. I keep mine in the fridge, too, but it still goes bad right before I want to use it. :glare:

CD

I made a very simple, but tasty dipping sauce tonight. Soy sauce, a little bit of ginger, a pinch of white pepper, and a small amount of toasted sesame oil. The sesame oil was subtle, but nice.
One of my (as well as my friends) favorite dip sauces for dim sum, and the like, has sesame oil, floated on top of half soy sauce (half light and half dark) and half Chenkiang vinegar, plus minced garlic and ginger, plus various hot ingredients, for those that want it (I usually make one bowl of each). The sesame oil is about 1/4" thick, at first, and sometimes I add more, if it seems to be thinning.

for how long in the fridge?

seeingtobelieve - no one can really answer that. It depends on the temperature of your fridge, the temperature of the room when you have it out, how long it is out, how often you take it out...

There are just too many mitigating circumstances.. can't give a definitive answer,

I have never had the Kadoya brand go bad on me, even back when I used to buy 56 oz cans, when I cooked a lot more Chinese, and for more people, but I still would have it a long time, refilling my ceramic bottle (which is at room temp), as needed. However, early on, when I was testing different brands of everything, I had 3 other brands (this was back in the 80s, so I don't even think they are still out there) go rancid - I think they probably had other oils mixed in, and it went rancid sooner. The Kadoya always stayed good for me.

Back
Top Bottom