What do you like in your salad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimbaby

Executive Chef
I love lots of veggies, the more the better,not crazy over ceaser salads,or chefs either, a good garden salad, with lettuce,cukes,peppers,sweet onions,
radishes,purple cabage,mmm yummy, also like catalina dressing or itialian.

I love all sorts of things in my salad including, but not limited to all sorts of veggies, beans, meats, cheeses, things like artichokes, olives, nuts, seeds, and just about anything else you can think of.

I've only had my salads a certain way all these years. Haven't been real adventureous. Carrots, ham bits, cheese, radish and a little bacon bit's with Blue cheese.

Whatever we find fresh and in season... I also like some radicchio shredded in, paired with shredded carrots, the combination of the kick radicchio has and the sweetness of carrots is brilliant.... I don't like strong flavoured dressing very much, I prefer just with good evoo and s&p, this way the taste of the vegetable is nicely enhanced, rather than drowned in the dressing.

Another "whatever is on hand" salad lover here. I really like mild lettuces like lamb's leaf and buttethead, carrots, peppers, radishes, seeds and nuts, cubes of cheese, shredded meat, olives, raisins, fresh fruit - it's all good in my salad bowl :mrgreen: Olive oil can be nice, I agree (especially with a splash of balsamic) but I do love dressings as well. Especially a good French, Catalina, Russian, Ranch, sun dried tomato, honey mustard or caesar.

Salads

I am really diggin the things in Thai salads.... cilantro, mint, red onions, lemon grass.... actually I like all kinds of salads..... I love a good steak salad.

"Whatever" salad lover here. As long as it is something I eat, I will eat it in a salad, and not many things I don't eat.

licia said:
"Whatever" salad lover here. As long as it is something I eat, I will eat it in a salad, and not many things I don't eat.
:mrgreen: I see that we are cut from the same lettuce leaf, Licia :)

I like salad period:ROFLMAO: You can load it up with everything and I'll eat it. But my favorite salads..I have two, the first is escarole, with sun sweetened juicy tomatoes and red onion slices, drizzled with evoo and a nice red wine vinegar. The second is summer heirloom tomatoes,sliced mozzerella, fresh basil leaves, drizzled with evoo and some really good balsamic...YUM:LOL:
kadesma

I don't like warm meat ( hamburger in taco salads, chicken in Ceaser)
everything else is GREAT!

pdswife said:
I don't like warm meat ( hamburger in taco salads, chicken in Ceaser)
everything else is GREAT!
I have to agree there Pds..I don't eat hamburger anyway sooo and I like just Ceaser just Ceaser, lettuce, dressing and croutons...

kadesma, now you have me starving:LOL:

Usually I stick with
spicy marinated chicken or fried chicken pieces
tomato
cheddar cheese
boiled egg
chow mein noodles or sesame seeds
bacon pieces

sometimes I will put in
pickled beats
hearts of palm
artichoke hearts
bean sprouts

kadesma said:
summer heirloom tomatoes,sliced mozzerella, fresh basil leaves, drizzled with evoo and some really good balsamic...YUM:LOL:
kadesma
Yum. I love that salad too. Now you made my spring fever even worse! Can't wait for all that good fresh fruits and veggies that come with summer. Any berries!!!

I don't like much lettuce in my salad. I like all the stuff! One we make often is cukes, tomatoes, avos, pecans, carrots, mushrooms, gorgonzola, mandarin oranges and homemade croutons. I also like chicken, bacon, apple & blue cheese dressing. There's a restaurant in town that has a salad I like with jack cheese, candied pecans, frozen berries, green onions and a sweet paprika dressing. It's really good. Sometimes they put melon on it too. It sounds like a strange combo but I like it a lot.

Salad is like soup to me - no matter how many times you make it - it can always be different and refreshing, unless you choose to make it the same, and usually I don't.

I like all sorts of things except fruits, nuts, radish, cucumber, or raw onion.
I love the bagged salad mixes that they now offer, because I can get such a nice variety of greens.
One of my faves is my "Italian Salad". I marinate sliced mushrooms, black olives, and chopped artichoke hearts in Good Seasons Italian dressing. Those get spooned over the greens and topped with crumbled fresh Parmesan or Romano cheese and diced salami. Garnish with grape or cherry tomatoes.
More later...got help HB put away groceries.

Last edited:
Back again...I make my own bleu cheese dressing (Miracle Whip Lite, crumbled bleu cheese, little milk to thin to your prefered consistancy.) I spoon that over the greens and top with crumbled cooked bacon and grape tomatoes.

I also like Feta Cheese on salad, with black olives, grape tomatoes, chopped venison salami, and maybe artichoke hearts, when I feel fancy.

With spinach salad, I like a warm orange vinagrette, bacon, hardboiled eggs, thinly sliced red onion (I give mine to Kim), and tomatoes. (always)

Another is my 7 layer salad...iceberg salad mix, small cauliflower and broccoli florets, half a small sweet onion diced fine (onion doesn't bother me in this one), frozen peas, chopped green and red pepper, crumbled bleu cheese, chopped chicken, ham, or salami (opt)... put in large dish in layers. Cover top generously with Mayo or Miracle Whip (Lite), being sure to seal the edges. This keeps the air out and the lettuce crisp. Let stand in fridge 8 hours or more...I make it the night before. Top with grated white cheddar cheese (or your choice) and fried, crumbled bacon. Garnish with grape tomatoes and serve. (You can do this when you make the salad, but the bacon will get soggy.) You can alter ingredients to suit your taste...the method is what makes the salad great for having on hand or taking to potlucks.
It keeps, refrigerated, 3 days in good shape.
I took some to a wake recently, and here were all these meat trays, noodle dishes, slumgullion, and tons of desserts. They went after my salad with GUSTO!
Of course, they had no problem with Kim's pulled smoked pork butt and my homemade BBQ sauce, with Maull's on the side.

I can think of more salads I love, but won't bore you further

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom