What do you put on ham sandwiches?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
i was raised on a "brooklyn special" ham sandwich, that is, boiled ham on wonder white bread with lettuce and mayo. i tweaked it by putting doritos on it, and ate it with a kosher dill pickle on the side.
some of my friends, not from brooklyn, gasped when i said mayo on ham.

so how do you like your ham sandwich? on rye, with mustard, with cheese, etc....

Funny you should ask...at this moment I'm having a whole wheat pita with tavern ham, baby Swiss, spinach, and ranch dressing.

Growing up I loved Doritos on my pb&j (or popcorn, or Fritos, or chips...)!

buckytom,
I like mine on italian bread, mayo and brown mustard on one side, butter on the second slice of bread, then the ham and a slice of swiss, some potato chips and a pickle, dill of course and not on of those slices but the big whole pickle right out of the barrel! 8) Oh yes a little butter lettuce, Lets munch :LOL:
kadesma

If it's ham on white or light wheat bread .... the only time I'll add lettuce and tomato ... 9 out of 10 time it's a good mayo. Otherwise, if it's a good dark what or tye bread, it's swiss and a good English mustard.

Ham, mayo, white bread (the kind that sticks to the roof of your mouth) and sometimes I will add lettuce and tomato if it's in the fridge.

But I love a grilled ham/mozzarella cheese sandwich with a little mayo on it before grilling - YUM!!!

Don't laugh - my mom used to make ham and peanut butter sandwiches! Cooked ham, shaved really thin, white bread, and whatever peanut butter is in the closet!

She'd also make 'ham BBQ sammies - again, the shaved ham (usually it was just the 'boiled' ham at the deli), warmed in a pan with your favorite BBQ sauce, piled on a burger bun.

i like horseradish- just grated and packed into jars w/ vinegar, not that creamy horseradish sauce. mustard, too. just plain yellow or inglehoffer.
lettuce, too.

A great ham sandwich. A great artisinal bread, sliced ham, mustard, swiss, and either a pineapple ring or pineapple preserves. YUM!

Well, you got em all mostly.

Good thick slice of ham, (English York, Honey roast, Oak smoked or Bavarian), Dijon mustard, some lettuce (choose your variety), some mayonaise. Ocassionaly, a little sliced cucumber, with which fresh dill would be nice.

Between home baked 50% wholemeal bread, spread of your choice and ability to take it.

I like mayo, provolone cheese, sliced red onion and mustard.

rye bread, swiss cheese, mustard, sliced tomato, and lettuce

in a grilled cheese on wheat bread with melted american cheese.

I like most breads with ham, especially whole grain. I like cheese, tomato, lettuce, and mustard on mine. I've never had onion on one, but as much as I love onion, I don't know why I haven't tried it!

:) Barbara

Ham Sandwich ingrediants.

buckytom said:
i was raised on a "brooklyn special" ham sandwich, that is, boiled ham on wonder white bread with lettuce and mayo. i tweaked it by putting doritos on it, and ate it with a kosher dill pickle on the side.
some of my friends, not from brooklyn, gasped when i said mayo on ham.

so how do you like your ham sandwich? on rye, with mustard, with cheese, etc....

A great ham sandwich on some great crisp (home made)bread is ham, great heavy mustard with horse radish and some slices of fresh great onions! And that is it. No lettuce and mayo. Mayo is for some things that are not like great as ham. Like Spam. Or like left over meatloaf. Something that needs help. But a good nice prepared ham (at home) and nicely thinly sliced is the best this way.
Mayo with tomato and pickles and good mustard and olives served on some nice toated home made bread pieces is also awesome. Mayo goes with good home grown tomatos also.
And a little fine wine...HHhhhMMnnnn so good.

Last edited:
Grilled with a little mayo, swiss cheese, onions, mushrooms and mustard on white bread ( home made and fresh if poss) is my favorte way.

chowgrp.jpg

Back
Top Bottom