What else can I do with sage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpinmaryland

Sous Chef
Made bean dip with sage: cannellini beans, sage, cayenne, garlic, tomato paste, salt/pepper.

What else can I do with this herb? Chicken I guess...

Sage is lovely crisped in a little butter or olive oil then served with pork or chicken, it goes well with fish too. It's nice finely chopped and mixed into stuffing for birds,or with pasta instead of basil, a nice change.

TNT!

PASTA W/SAGE,WALNUTS AND PROSCUITTO

Serves 4

1 pound penne pasta
¼ cup olive oil
5 cloves garlic, crushed
8 ounces prosciutto,diced
½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1 cup grated parmesan
½ cup butter
25 fresh sage leaves
salt/pepper to taste

Cook penne in boiling water. Heat olive oil in saute pan over medium heat; add garlic and cook til it starts to color, about 2 minutes; add prosciutto and cook til meat is browned; add walnuts and saute 1-2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Add cooked pasta to pan and toss; stir in cheese and season with salt/pepper. Place in a serving dish.
Heat butter in a clean saute pan and add sage. Cook for 1-2 minutes; spoon the sage-flavored butter over the pasta and serve.

There are a lot of Italian pasta/ravioli type dishes that use sage along with butternut squash, both in the dish and with the sauce for them.

I always put some in my spaghetti sauce
and in my pizza sauce and baked tomatoes.

yeah it does seem to be enhanced by using tomato w/ it. Also cayenne etc. seem to accentuate it. Thx.

put it in/on sausage patties/breakfast links, on whitefish, porkchops, chicken, lamb rib chops, cornbread, clam or red sauce. i use ground sage.

Sage is one of my favorite herbs and I like it in virtually any non-Asian poultry, pork or fish dish. In the summer (will it every come?) I have tons of fresh, and it's one herb that is just as good dried (rubbed sage). It's a great partner with thyme. Fresh it is super in chicken or turkey soups (the dried can sometimes sort of muddy it, but I stick a fresh branch in, and pull it out when my soup has enough sage flavor). Great way to freshen up canned soups.

Stuff a chicken or turkey with it before baking, then remove and throw away before serving.

One or two leaves put on top of a cutlet (chicken, turkey, veal, or pork), then layered with thin ham and a slice of cheese, then either rolled or sauteed as is is a classic.

Sage is a key ingredient in making Chicken/Veal Saltimbocca. It is also very good when layered between the skin and the meat when roasting chicken or turkey. Sage is also very good when stuffing pork chops/veal chops, pork/chicken roulades, etc. Sage does not usually go with most seafoods because of the clashing flavors, and beef or lamb will pretty much overpower it. Just be careful when using it because sage is one of those herbs that can really alter the taste of a dish in a negative way if the flavor components are not complimentary.

wasabi said:
Give it to Rosemary on thyme?

Ok, ok,.....I'm bored. :roll:

Wasabi; You and I are thinking alike. I would add my two cents, but there's already about twenty bucks worth of sage advice here.

By the way, how old do you have to be before you're considered a sage old man? I'm 49 1/2. Does that qualify?

And how come only old men are considered sage? And what are old women considered? I could guess, but would probably get into trouble.

:shock: It's a learned cultural thing. I'm surely not at fault and am not reponsible for my actions. I'm the product of a broken home where nearly all my needs, and many of my wants were met. But I never did get that brand-new Porsche I've dreamt of for so long. It's not my fault. It must be a cultural thing. I'm not to blame for my actions. The bad puns! Woe is me. It's not my fault. I'm not to blame. It must be a cultural thing!

Now didn't that just sound like a teenager :punk:

Well, I'm out of thyme and out of bad puns (whew, I thought he'd never stop).

Happy Easter everyone, and please, please remember what The Holiday is all about.

And Happy Passover for those who celebrate that Holyday.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

something else sage is good for....

jpinmaryland said:
Made bean dip with sage: cannellini beans, sage, cayenne, garlic, tomato paste, salt/pepper.

What else can I do with this herb? Chicken I guess...

If you're troubled with ants, just sprinkle it along the baseboard or in the cupboard where they're coming in and they'll scurry away...it really works.

img_113909_0_fed346c7b87bbde1f8d078586841bfda.gif

Alix said:
Get out. Really? Will that work outside too do you suppose?

SAge and cloves work great inside..don't know about outside....because of the rain and such...but in the house, just sprinkle some down..I did the other day at my daughter's and those little bums just hightailed it back on out of there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom