What Else to do With Sauerkraut?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
Have a big bag in the fridge, used some on hot dogs. Does it go bad at some point?

Have a big bag in the fridge, used some on hot dogs. Does it go bad at some point?
Yes it will go bad after awhile. My favorite thing to do with sauerkraut is to put it in the bottom of a casserole or baking pan (juice too), then lay country style pork ribs or pork chops on top of the sauerkraut. Pepper the pork, and add whatever seasonings you like (there is enough salt in the sauerkraut that you probably won't want to add salt). Bake until done. Sometimes I cover it for awhile, but not always. :cool:

Mmmm. Will try the ribs. I have made a tomato,rice, burger, sauerkraut dish that I love, but husband hates. He's the one who bought the kraut. Silly boy. Thanks!

Although it may sound weird (I know it did to me) my husband used to get a pizza from a place in Ottumwa, Iowa that had Canadian bacon, pineapple, and sauerkraut on it. I tried it, and while it isn't my favorite pizza, it was good. Kind of a sweet & sour pizza. :)

I put leftover sauerkraut in a baggie in the freezer smashed flat so you break as much as you want off to make Reubens.

how about a bigger version of a hot dog - a kielbasi.

bake kielbasi nestled into a mixture of butter sweated onions, par boiled potatoes, and sauerkraut.

I cube and fry a lot fatty smoked bacon, the fry some onion and garlic gently in the same pan then add the kraut and let it all fry gently for 1hr, then top it with poached or fried eggs.

Sausages, pork, onion, potatoes amd carrots, make a wonderful one pot dish! Don't forget the caroway seeds!

Craig

I make cabbage borscht....onion; large can of tomatoes, couple of potatoes cut up, (put in later than the rest of the stuff so they don't turn to mush), the saurcraut, and I like mine sweet and sour, therefore brown sugar and lemon or citric acid., salt and pepper....excellent for freezing

Yes it will go bad after awhile. My favorite thing to do with sauerkraut is to put it in the bottom of a casserole or baking pan (juice too), then lay country style pork ribs or pork chops on top of the sauerkraut. Pepper the pork, and add whatever seasonings you like (there is enough salt in the sauerkraut that you probably won't want to add salt). Bake until done. Sometimes I cover it for awhile, but not always. :cool:
I love that but don't forget the dumplings!

You guys are great! Thanks for all the ideas, may need to get more kraut!

I always cook my cabbage rolls on a bed of kraut.

Let me re-phrase that. I USED TO cook my cabbage rolls on a bed of kraut. DH doesn't like anything cabbage, and I haven't made them in 20 years. Love'em, though, and the kraut is what makes the dish.

Kraut Salad

Here's my recipe...It's quite tasty!

SOUR KRAUT SALAD

1 can sauerkraut, drained
1 lg. onion, diced fine
1 lg. green pepper, diced fine
1 c. celery, diced fine
1/2 c. salad oil
1/2 c. vinegar
1 1/2 c. sugar

Combine sauerkraut, onion, green pepper and celery. Beat until thick: salad oil, vinegar and sugar. Pour over salad. Refrigerate and let stand overnight.

You may want to cut down on the sugar.

Back
Top Bottom