What exactly is "beef brisket"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beef brisket should be labeled as such. Corned beef, while it is normally brisket is not the piece of meat you want for your recipe. Ask meat market personel for a beef brisket. Preferably a flat cut brisket...It should be pre-trimmed and ready to go.

Have Fun!

You'll have an easier time finding it at a butcher, not your local supermarket. The briskets in the supermarkets are good for corned beef and cabbage, Reubens, etc.

They come salted and seasoned already.

Even though the package says "brisket".

That recipe calls for a fresh brisket.

Last edited:
A "Corned Beef Brisket" comes salted (cured) and seasoned. A plain beef brisket does not. Grocery stores here sell Corned Beef briskets, Flat cut Briskets, Sometimes point cut brisket and often times packer briskets. The OP's recipe is calling for a 2 - 2 1/2 lb (plain) beef brisket Which should be available in a retail grocery stores...depending on location!

We can only find "Corned Beef Brisket" around here so I substitute sirloin roasts for the recipes that call for a plain "Beef Brisket". I know they aren't the same but it seems they cook similarily.

Some may not agree, but if you are unable to locate a fresh brisket (I know many people are nowhere near a butcher) I might personally use a well-trimmed chuck roast for that "shreddable" texture. It's nowhere near the same as a good ole brisket, but round or sirloin roasts are a might too lean for a brisket recipe, and the corned beef is cured -- not what you want for this recipe.

jeekinz, from tom's river to mahwah, i've been able to find fresh brisket cuts of beef. they're great prepared in a myraid of ways, always low and slow.

are you sure you're from new jersey??? i mean with the sawx thing, and now brisket.

At my house a grocery store that didn't at least have a flat cut brisket in stock would run the risk of seriously impacting their business. The packer briskets..only some stores because usually only Q-Masters look for them. If I ran a store in Texas, I might be out of milk, eggs, and sugar but not brisket...They might burn the store down!!!:LOL:

LOL - What do you want me to say? All the Food Towns, Shop Rites, A&P's only carry Corned Beef Briskets. lol

lol..we rarely have corned beef briskets in the stores here..just plain old brisket. Usually come whole (cry o vac) or the flat ends.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom