What exactly is comfort food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My grandparents lived in the middle of an orange grove, and if any one of the grandchildren was sick while visiting them, my grandfather provided a supply of fresh-squeezed orange juice. One pint every hour. Delivered with the order, "Drink this NOW!" (He believed that if you dawdled, much of the beneficial stuff would oxidize and disappear.)

For me, comfort food is something that takes me to a warm, secure place. Like tat said, warm and fuzzy. Comfort food can be a variety of things for me depending on the kind of comfort I need. One time it could be roast beef with gravy and mashed potatoes. Another time it might be the most decadent chocolate ice cream sundae. Still another could be a huge pot of split pea soup. The smell alone of that soup makes me feel good.

One of my comfort foods is Coquille St. Jacques because whenever I make it I'm taken back to a heavenly weekend my husband and I spent in Ocean City, Maryland. It was in the winter and there was wind and cold and icy weather.

The dinner was Coquille St. Jacques prepared perfectly and we spent the evening dancing and having a wonderful time. We went for a walk on the beach after dinner and froze our behinders off, but it was wonderful. It was one of those magical weekends where we fell in love with each other all over again. I still remember it like it was yesterday.:kiss: :heart:

Food that comforts... :-p

Something that is easy to eat, and doesn't overly spike my tastebuds or thought-process. If I'm working to open edamame pods or actively thinking about an interesting combination of brave flavors I'm not in that mode to receive. If I have a piece of braised beef falling apart in my mouth or creamy tomato soup oozing down my throat I'm usually in a state of mindless relaxation.

I suppose it's different from person to person.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom