What food(s) do you like to treat yourself with?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

creative

Head Chef
I just noticed that - on the 'what are you doing' thread - that many here have just done their taxes. I was wondering if anyone here treats themselves after doing something like that, i.e. accomplishing something they did not relish doing.

Of course it also applies to treating ourselves to enhance an event too! I suppose many would have a choice drink - but what about food e.g. if you knew beforehand what you would be doing and shopped with this in mind.

My selected list could include anything from:-

- chicken soup (preferably home made, e.g. with a good roasted bone stock)
- something with mashed potatoes (very comforting) e.g. pan fried sea bass fillets
- jacket potato with boursin
- a deluxe
steak pie
- a good lasagna (bought!)
- fish and chips
- pasta with red pesto, red pepper, chorizo

-
something with custard (e.g. bananas, bakewell tart)
- good quality chocolates or coating marzipan pieces with melted chocolate
- a deluxe boozy trifle
- a french apricot flan (a particular bakery)
- fresh, deep red cherries dipped in plain melted chocolate (very decadent!)

- gourmet (hand cooked) crisps, plain unsalted

What is your list?

Last edited:
Wine, good chocolate, and a special treat of fish and chips from my fave little local mom and pop restaurant. Not necessarily in that order. :LOL: :yum:

My grandmother always called them splurges! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Splurge - an act of spending money freely or extravagantly.

Some of my favorite splurges are better quality tea and coffee, a small amount of good chocolate, a great steak, seafood, locally smoked bacon and Polish sausage, great ice cream, very old cheddar, Stilton, a lobster roll, in season fruits and vegetables from local farmers things like the first perfect tomato of the season or dead ripe peaches.

Every 3 months or so, Craig has to work in an area where we can get stone crab claws (when in season) at EXTREMELY reasonable prices and fresh off the boat. Today was one of those days. We had stone crab claws and salad for dinner. Claws were $10 a pound. Can't even touch that at a local restaurant so we take advantage when we can.

Tough one...I made a decision years ago that money spent on food is money spent wisely. Some may feel I eat a bit extravagantly, and maybe so, but I am frugal with many other things we deal with daily... ..I love a good AAA steak, blue veined and brie cheeses, marinated seafood salad, home made creton, duck confit, green salad with 10 year old balsamic vinegar, seared scallops, potatoes roasted in duck fat, the list goes on....

If I had the energy, I would go out for a nice medium rare filet with blue cheese, and a loaded baked potato.

Tough one...I made a decision years ago that money spent on food is money spent wisely. Some may feel I eat a bit extravagantly, and maybe so, but I am frugal with many other things we deal with daily... ..I love a good AAA steak, blue veined and brie cheeses, marinated seafood salad, home made creton, duck confit, green salad with 10 year old balsamic vinegar, seared scallops, potatoes roasted in duck fat, the list goes on....

That would be my philosophy too, Rock. :) I don't spend money on traveling (although I'd love to, but it's just me here), or going out on the town or whatever, but am happy to spend $ on good scallops, nice cheese, the best rib eye I can find, and spend a few extra bucks for fresh farmers market goodies. Every now and then I like to treat myself to a nice dinner from a fave local place...I have to be careful about that though, and try to get something I can chow down on my own immediately, or at least something that will reheat the next day. Hate to waste good food. :LOL::)

I've lived with great food all my life, very blessed I know, with the exception of needing to be very frugal in my younger years with a young family. Somewhat later in life with weight and health issues I've learned that food rewards are dangerous, and not a good idea for me although I really understand those who feel differently. Not intending to sound preachy at all!! It's a fun thread.
Today I rewarded myself with a couple of hours of "me time" getting "the works" with a "Mani-Pedi". Does that count? ;)

Last edited:
I usually treat myself after a complicated medical procedure to a large order of a fried clam feast. No onion rings or FF. Just fried clams. I usually have a cup of coffee going around the clock. But every so often I like a big cup of English Breakfast tea with just sugar. I don't seem to treat myself to that often enough. :angel:

I've lived with great food all my life, very blessed I know, with the exception of needing to be very frugal in my younger years with a young family. Somewhat later in life with weight and health issues I've learned that food rewards are dangerous, and not a good idea for me although I really understand those who feel differently. Not intending to sound preachy at all!! It's a fun thread.
Today I rewarded myself with a couple of hours of "me time" getting "the works" with a "Mani-Pedi". Does that count? ;)

It absolutely does :clap: I reward myself quarterly with a pedicure at a very nice local spa that serves wine and includes a chair massage. Oh baby?

I do occasionally enjoy a lunch of fish 'n chips with a spicy remoulade after my dentist appointment, since it's so close by :LOL: DH does our taxes now (I did them for quite a few years) so that's not a major event for me anymore.

However, a nice twice-baked potato with lots of butter, crispy bacon and fresh parsley is a delightful treat.

Last edited:
When I would take our (now deceased) cockers to the vet, they always got rewarded afterwards with a couple orders of McDonald's hash browns. They didn't seem to mind going to the vet.

When I would take our (now deceased) cockers to the vet, they always got rewarded afterwards with a couple orders of McDonald's hash browns. They didn't seem to mind going to the vet.

Sounds like something Teddy would eat. So far the only thing we have found that he won't eat is mushrooms. Spike took him to the groomers last Thursday. It wasn't until last night before he would even look at Spike. He even slept downstairs on the couch rather than go upstairs to Spike's room and sleep in his bed. And the offering of special treats that we know he loves didn't even work. He waited each day until he got here to eat his Puparonies.

We can't forget our best friend when it comes to special treats for a special or even a not so special occasion. :angel:

Carbs! Tonight I had mashed potatoes. I had leftover steak smorthered in gravy with sliced muaheooma. All that yummy gravy just would have been so blah without a nice pile of mashed garlic potatoes. It was heavenly!! Also a couple of Lirrlw Debbis Dusfe xookiea for dessert!

Shrimp, shrimp, and more shrimp. I'm like that guy in Forrest Gump - I'll take shrimp any way it's offered but it's so expensive, I very rarely can get it. However, the Safeway here had some nice large shrimp for sale this month and I grabbed a 2 lb bag and divided it into thirds. One third I put into Rice-a-Roni fried rice variety with some roasted almonds and extra celery (and served with crispy noodles), another third I'm saving to make garlic butter shrimp, and the last third I'm going to make Chinese sesame shrimp.

I rue the day they quit selling the shrimp you had to deep fat fry.

If I can't get shrimp, I'll settle for a small Round Table pizza.

Kayelle - I hear what you are saying and agree that rewarding with food can be problematic but, hey, I am not talking about doing this all the time, i.e. there's a clue in the word TREAT! ;)

Since you mention exercise, I tend to do more exercise to offset an ongoing situation (e.g. a local nutter who commits anti-social acts). It's a way of turning a negative into a positive
and helps to dispel my anger. Ha! So I do have more than one way of dealing with situations!

Thanks for all your posts. It makes for interesting reading. I also tend to not begrudge money spent on good quality food but then I am in a position to do this.

Last edited:
Carbs! Tonight I had mashed potatoes. I had leftover steak smorthered in gravy with sliced muaheooma. All that yummy gravy just would have been so blah without a nice pile of mashed garlic potatoes. It was heavenly!! Also a couple of Lirrlw Debbis Dusfe xookiea for dessert!

I lol'd at this post, Z! muaheooma and Lirrlw Debbis Dusfe xookiea! Sounds wonderful! :ROFLMAO:

Somewhat later in life with weight and health issues I've learned that food rewards are dangerous, and not a good idea for me although I really understand those who feel differently. Not intending to sound preachy at all!
My philosophy, too. :)

While I no longer use food as a reward, I do sometimes go out for nice dinners with friends. Not so much as a treat, but as a way to spend time with people whose company I enjoy. Maybe it is a treat in that sense.

Back
Top Bottom