what goes with prime rib?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jared_mizanin

Assistant Cook
You guys did such a good job last time...so here goes:

For work I am making a prime rib dinner with au jus. What goes with this dinner? Thanks in advance! :)

Everything goes with prime rib! Seriously though:

Oven roasted potatoes
Asparagus (steamed then lightly grilled and brushed with garlic butter)
Light salad, greens with vinaigrette

Sub buns and cheese whiz! :chef:

Or, if you don't want to shave it and turn it into a Philly Cheese Steak... I would serve baked potatoes and something green like asparagus, broccoli or sautéed brussel sprouts. Lobster goes very well, too :yum:

Yorkshire puddings with some of the pan drippings.

Hassleback Potatoes

Roasted Potatoes w/ Bearnaise

Garlic and Parmesan Pomme Frites

Pan Fried Brussels Sprouts, with toasted garlic and bacon

Roasted Asparagus w/ a little balsamic and sea salt

Steamed broccoli w/ Hollandaise

Oh, yeah, mushrooms. Nice and simple, sautéed in butter where nothing but the flavor of the shrooms burst in your mouth. Leave them whole or just halve them and serve them on the side. Sliced mushrooms are for toppings and hamburgers. Good call, Steve.

Oven roasted potatoes are baked potatoes without the skins. They get all crispy on the outside so you can eat the whole thing. Mmmmmm.

I think you should do one of Tattrat's suggestions on the side veggie. Holy moly. Those brussels sprouts sound heavenly.

Prime Rib is kind of an elegant meal....so I always serve it with Au Jus,
Horseradish, and Blue Cheese dressing.
Sauteed carrots, and a Caesar Salad.

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone :)

Never tried yorkshire pudding; how long does it last until I need to whip up a new batch?

I'm sort of thinking of twice-baked potato and maybe a caesar salad...with au jus and horseradish on the side. But perhaps I'll give them a choice and have some sort of parmesan-crusted brussel sprout dish in place of the salad if so desired. Any thoughts?

As I browse online, I'm seeing more and more cool ideas! Garlic mashed potatoes sounds good, too!

Never tried yorkshire pudding; how long does it last until I need to whip up a new batch?

I'm sort of thinking of twice-baked potato and maybe a caesar salad...with au jus and horseradish on the side. But perhaps I'll give them a choice and have some sort of parmesan-crusted brussel sprout dish in place of the salad if so desired. Any thoughts?

Yorkies are so quick and easy, especially sine you will already have the drippings. . .if you have never had one, I highly recommend 'em. They are the best little meaty pop-over. They cook quick, and though I am not sure how many you are feeding, if you have muffin tins, it makes them even easier. Once you have the batter, it's just a matter of making sure the tins and drippings are hot/up to temp, and blasting 'em off.

I make mine in a pie plate and cut into wedges like pie.

img_1074467_0_5586f20dcebc836ac6c03c01e6fd9ab7.jpg

Yorkshire Pudding

2 eggs
1 c. milk
1 c. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
Ground black pepper - to taste
Melted butter or pan drippings from roasted meat

Preheat oven to 425°F.

Mix all ingredients except butter; till smooth. Coat bottom and sides of 9 or 10 inch pie plate with butter. Pour melted butter in pie plate. Bake 25 minutes or until golden brown and puffed up. Serve immediately.

Last edited:
I always make prime rib with twice baked potatoes, and sauteed mushrooms, grilled asparagus and yorkshire pudding.

I use Kenji-Alt's (Serious Eats) method for the rib.

Back
Top Bottom