What have you had for a snack lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I made a batch of a Mexican dip - a variation of Sakil Pak, which is a pumpkin seed dip. I made this with some butternut squash seeds, and added some chickpeas I had left from last night, to stretch it - something I always do with this recipe, since the squash seeds and pepitas are so strong, a much smaller amount can be used. A habanero is the other main flavor. I usually grill the tomatoes, but it was a rainy day, so I cooked them in a skillet, on a piece of NS foil, to caramelize some of the skin. Did the same with the chocolate habanero, then cooled it all, and blended them with the remaining ingredients. Then stirred in some chopped chives and cilantro. I ate it with a stalk of celery and carrot, cut into sticks, and a handful of tortilla chips.
Toasting butternut squash seeds, to use like pumpkin seeds. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Cooling the toasted butternut seeds. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Spears TN green tomatoes, cooked in skillet, since weather is bad for grilling. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Ground up butternut squash seeds, before adding the tomatoes, habanero, and some chickpeas. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished butternut seed dip - a variety of Sakil Pak. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Wow Pepperhead, I've never heard of that kind of a dip, with the seeds. I love the seeds and save them from all the squash/pumpkins we eat in the freezer. Then I clean up a couple cups at a time, bake, slightly salted, for snacking. I've read all the nutrition information on pumpkin/squash seeds, and they are so good for a person. I'd like to share them with my mr bliss but he likes sunflower seeds as his seed of choice.

@taxlady That's non-stick foil I was referring to. It is foil with a layer of silicone on it. I use it frequently in my toaster oven, for things that might stick, like anything cheesy, and it peels right off. And if you've ever baked macaroons, those things stick to even parchment paper, but not this! A thick silicone sheet works well, but things just don't brown on them.

I got the ideas for the foil in a pan from Rick Bayless, in which several of his recipes called for one or two slices of onion or tomatoes on foil in a skillet, to brown them w/o oil.

Here's an example of it - I never buy it at this price, but this shows it. They have different widths, as well, as with regular foil.

@taxlady That's non-stick foil I was referring to. It is foil with a layer of silicone on it. I use it frequently in my toaster oven, for things that might stick, like anything cheesy, and it peels right off. And if you've ever baked macaroons, those things stick to even parchment paper, but not this! A thick silicone sheet works well, but things just don't brown on them.

I got the ideas for the foil in a pan from Rick Bayless, in which several of his recipes called for one or two slices of onion or tomatoes on foil in a skillet, to brown them w/o oil.

Here's an example of it - I never buy it at this price, but this shows it. They have different widths, as well, as with regular foil.
Thanks. Do you find you use it much? Is it really worth the higher price? I DuckDuckGo'ed it and, in Canada, I could only find it on Amazon.ca and at Canadian Tire. Not cheap at Amazon and Canadian Tire is out of stock. This is what I get when I click your link, well, in addition the regular stuff, "No Import Fees Deposit & $9.70 Shipping to Canada".

Well, it looks like the price went up at BJs, where I got it last, but still cheaper than what I saw there - $19.95 for two rolls of 150 ft each. It was 12.95 last time, though I haven't even opened those. I use it for things like those macaroons, that stick to anything else. I use parchment for most other things, and this only when I need it, but it's definitely worth it.

I have to try to make some pancakes and waffles for the freezer - my instant breakfasts but more often my snacks.

gotta do it
gotta do it
gotta do it :bounce:

Any time we travel ( road trip), as we did last week, the night before I empty the produce drawer but cutting everything into sticks ( carrots, celery, cucumbers ..) in addition to any grape tomatoes we have lying around, that I know will rot while we are gone. It's almost become a tradition to the point that when my son moved from one city to another in China, he sent us a pic of all the veggies he cut up for the car ride. We'll also bring any fruit lying around too like apples, oranges ... All that being said, we try and coordinate our shopping the week prior to going away so we dont have too much in the house .

Here is the pic my son sent to us when he was moving in China. We got aa good laugh out of it .

Attachments

• Cut Veggies.png
    Cut Veggies.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
I made a batch of a Mexican dip - a variation of Sakil Pak, which is a pumpkin seed dip. I made this with some butternut squash seeds, and added some chickpeas I had left from last night, to stretch it - something I always do with this recipe, since the squash seeds and pepitas are so strong, a much smaller amount can be used. A habanero is the other main flavor. I usually grill the tomatoes, but it was a rainy day, so I cooked them in a skillet, on a piece of NS foil, to caramelize some of the skin. Did the same with the chocolate habanero, then cooled it all, and blended them with the remaining ingredients. Then stirred in some chopped chives and cilantro. I ate it with a stalk of celery and carrot, cut into sticks, and a handful of tortilla chips.
Toasting butternut squash seeds, to use like pumpkin seeds. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Cooling the toasted butternut seeds. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Spears TN green tomatoes, cooked in skillet, since weather is bad for grilling. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Ground up butternut squash seeds, before adding the tomatoes, habanero, and some chickpeas. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished butternut seed dip - a variety of Sakil Pak. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
I dont know how I over looked this recipe . This definitely looks like something Id try. I love pumpkin seeds ( or any kinda squash seeds). I love them so much, that I have been known to pick up pumpkins or squash people are throwing out ( after halloween or thanksgiving) from the side of the road, to bring home and use for seeds. I try to do it discreetly, but once I did manage to set off someones house sensor lights ( and there fore, was likely on their ring cam lol).

As much as I love tomatoes - acid reflux demands not more than 3 baby and 2 slices grown-up tomatoes a day... and even then not everyday - don't want to loose the privilege. Have only just started to enjoy tomatoes and bananas (1/2 twice a week) again after 30 very long years of going without.

My waistline demands I keep up its beautiful rotundness by snacking on chips, pretzels and yeah, ok, lots of fruit.

Any time we travel ( road trip), as we did last week, the night before I empty the produce drawer but cutting everything into sticks ( carrots, celery, cucumbers ..) in addition to any grape tomatoes we have lying around, that I know will rot while we are gone. It's almost become a tradition to the point that when my son moved from one city to another in China, he sent us a pic of all the veggies he cut up for the car ride. We'll also bring any fruit lying around too like apples, oranges ... All that being said, we try and coordinate our shopping the week prior to going away so we dont have too much in the house .

Here is the pic my son sent to us when he was moving in China. We got aa good laugh out of it .
Right there in his lap, at the ready! ?

He's been there for quite a while now, hasn't he? Is China going to be his permanent home?

I just bought some popcorn at the $ $tore. I can't seem to get the knack of making it on the induction burner. I had a small aluminum pot I used to make it in on my gas top, but I feel constrained and don't make it up stairs. Doesn't make enough to share :blush: and I usually make it just about the time kids go to bed, so hardly fair.

Aunt Bea! the great dragon's bessing upon you - I will have to try that in the micro!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom