What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sa e breakfast for me again today: Greek yogurt, light wheat bread w pbj, coffee & 1/2 granola bar.

SB, sounds great BUT did you check the ingredients (sugar) in the granola bar? Those can be pitfalls. How about the same breakfast with a piece of fruit instead of the granola bar?

SB, sounds great BUT did you check the ingredients (sugar) in the granola bar? Those can be pitfalls. How about the same breakfast with a piece of fruit instead of the granola bar?

I have thought the same thing many times. But I am always on her case and realize that sometimes she needs the encouragement more than the criticism. My g'daughter used to love them. And she had a mouthful of braces. When her orthodontist found out what she had been munching on for the past months, he was horrified. There are a lot of ...oses in them. I would rather see her eat a piece of fruit. I know that the fruit can have it own sugar, but my son explained to me that it is absorbed at a much slower rate than processed sugar. I always thought that watermelon was nothing but sugar and water. But it is loaded with nutrients galore. I would rather see her eat a second piece of fruit, or a second yogurt or even two pieces of grain toast with PB&J. It would fill her and give her less processed sugar in her diet.

Because she works outside the home she tends to grab something quick and easy in the morning. Right now she is having a difficult time staying the course. Those temptations keep jumping in front of her. Specially on Friday when there are leftover pastries at the café. And she brings them home.

I have often thought of recommending her working with a dietician. But my personal experiences with them left me often wondering if they really had my best welfare in mind. Doctors don't get much training in diet in medical school. So they aren't much help either. I wonder if she were to join a group whereby she would get immediate face to face encouragement and feedback would be a help to her. :angel:

Last edited:
My doctor's practice has a nutritionist. Friends have had success working with naturopaths. I know when I cut out bread and processed sugar, my cravings went to zero for carbs/sweets. I just let temptation enter the kitchen but I am thinking I should soak some chickpeas so I can make more roasted curry chickpeas. Love those if I'm feeling a bit hungry but not hungry enough to mess up the kitchen.

Anyway, I started with a glass of Snip's "Tea." My breakfast came from the garden and the girls: Kimchi made from cabbage we grew (this was the previous batch--needed to eat it up), a large serving of steamed kale topped with 2 poached eggs, 1 fresh tomato (yummy!), and the only thing not from the garden but from SK was a serving of rice from the prairies (again--love that stuff). To down it all down, a large glass of beet-carrot-cucumber juice.

Last edited:
Thank you CWS & Addie. Ther other day for lunch I had alot (3 C.) of diced watermelon & a c of grapes. It ended up being 33 grams of carbs! I was horrified! Fruit doesn't stay with me & I feel hungry sooner.

Thank you CWS & Addie. Ther other day for lunch I had alot (3 C.) of diced watermelon & a c of grapes. It ended up being 33 grams of carbs! I was horrified! Fruit doesn't stay with me & I feel hungry sooner.

That is not good. What can we find that is low in carb, yet filling and quick and easy to fix. Breakfast and lunch I realize those two meals have to be easy and quick to fix. But at the same time I would like to see you eat a variety. You can get bored very quickly eating the same thing every day. What about keeping hard boiled eggs on hand for a quick snack?

Okay troops. Suggestions are welcome. :angel:

That is not good. What can we find that is low in carb, yet filling and quick and easy to fix. Breakfast and lunch I realize those two meals have to be easy and quick to fix. But at the same time I would like to see you eat a variety. You can get bored very quickly eating the same thing every day. What about keeping hard boiled eggs on hand for a quick snack?

Okay troops. Suggestions are welcome. :angel:
I eat the whites but not the yolks, and only hot. I cannot bring myself to eat cold eggs. I make myself egg white sandwichs sometimes. I tried eating beef jerky for awhile, didn't overly care for it & so high in sodium. I snack on nuts sometimes but dislike that they are so high in fat. It gets frustrating sometimes! thanks for your input...much appreciated!:angel::angel:

I eat the whites but not the yolks, and only hot. I cannot bring myself to eat cold eggs. I make myself egg white sandwichs sometimes. I tried eating beef jerky for awhile, didn't overly care for it & so high in sodium. I snack on nuts sometimes but dislike that they are so high in fat. It gets frustrating sometimes! thanks for your input...much appreciated!:angel::angel:

I eat 1/4 cup of nuts each day and I am still able to drop pounds. I think it is good fat and protein that a body needs. I also eat a lot of chicken and veggies. For me, eating veggies for my carbs is the way to go, and the fat isn't as big of a deal. I have cut out almost all bread, but I do eat it one day a week-usually I choose to have pizza. Cutting way back on bread and sweets has helped me drop 35 pounds since the end of February. Keep paying attention to what it is you are putting into your body, and don't beat yourself up if you add a little too much. In the long run you will do just fine. Good luck in your quest, and pm me if you need a lift or encouragement.

Last edited:
Gee, you have done so well Chops, great how you lay off the bread too

I don't eat loads of bread myself, but I have been naughty and started eating a few biscuits and some Lindt chocolate lately...but as long as it is in moderation

If I start to gain weight, I pull right back :)

What do you eat for dinner? Or do you skip that? Haven't seen much about that...

I cooked us up a three egg omelet with smoked gouda in the middle with roasted grape tomatoes and asparagus. Cut that in half.

I find myself tiring of lox, bagel, cream cheese and onions. Today I had bacon, lettuce, tomato and fried egg (on bagel), tasted good.

I might switch back to the fried egg breakfast burrito soon (+cheese and hot sauce).

There are a lot of recipes online for making breakfast sandwiches in advance, freezing, then thawing/heating in the microwave. Here's one, and it includes nutrition information. One of these and a piece of fruit would make a quick, healthy breakfast. http://www.theyummylife.com/Egg_McMuffin#EmbedRecipe_234

I eat 1/4 cup of nuts each day and I am still able to drop pounds. I think it is good fat and protein that a body needs. I also eat a lot of chicken and veggies. For me, eating veggies for my carbs is the way to go, and the fat isn't as big of a deal. I have cut out almost all bread, but I do eat it one day a week-usually I choose to have pizza. Cutting way back on bread and sweets has helped me drop 35 pounds since the end of February. Keep paying attention to what it is you are putting into your body, and don't beat yourself up if you add a little too much. In the long run you will do just fine. Good luck in your quest, and pm me if you need a lift or encouragement.
Good for you, chopper. I have also cut out almost all bread and pasta, white sugar. I eat a lot of veggies and of course eggs, very little dairy. You've lost 35 lb in 6 months, that is great! I like the slow and steady method of weight loss, myself. It gives a person time to learn new eating habits.

Back
Top Bottom