What I learned today:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am with you Andy. The days of Julia Childs are gone. Even she would advocate using convenience foods when available. :angel:

Not true. Even though I do use pre-made and packaged goods, when possible I make things from scratch. it's a source of creativity, and boosts my self-esteem as well. Best of all, it's appreciated by those who eat it. of course there are some things I have neither the hardware, or the proper facilities to make, like artisan cheeses, or most sausages. I do make my own pate', and breakfast sausage though. I've even been known to grind my own flour, and separate it into bran, gluten, germ, and starch, and use every bit of part.

I just love the process, and what the exercises teaches me about how foods react to various techniques, and what they are made of. Equal to my love of cooking, is my love of learning, and the scientific techniques by which I can figure things out. Of course, a lot can be said for just trying new ideas, and see what the results are.

I am a certified wheel re-inventor. If I had the resources, I would design and build my own car, boat, airplane, etc. I don't so I invent recipes, and learn basic, then advanced food prep techniques.

There are those of us that just have that itch to explore, well, anything and everything. I'm one of those. It doesn't help you fit in with society, and you usually get some kind of degrading label for such behavior, especially from 5th grade to 12th grade, and often times beyond. But it's still worth it for the knowledge gained.

Yes, I'm the oddball, everywhere I go. But it's who I am, and I like being me.

Then you have kids, and get to give them more than most kids get from their parents. And to me, that's the best thing I have done in this world.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Working with phyllo takes more patience than puff pastry. It's tedious to layer it, one sheet at a time, brush with butter and repeat. My pakalva recipe calls for 40 sheets of phyllo so that's a commitment.

We don't make either phyllo or puff pastry.

I love the quote at the bottom of your posts. And yes, i want to create the universe, and then make an apple pie with the results of that creation.:D

As for the black clothing, well, I like black and, trust me, the tank top I had on was barely there and I had on short-shorts. Yes, I always water early in the morning. Have to here. Our normal temps are in the low 100s so, perhaps, 90 is cool. It's hot no matter what time of the day. It was 89 when we went to bed last night, so the nights don't even cool down enough to begin a day on a pleasant note. That's just the way it is here.

Oh we have had summers like that here. Two years ago it was so hot at night that a lot of the residents were sitting outside at one in the morning. Even the AC didn't help. And then you get up in the morning to get ready for work, and you are in a major sweat by the time you go out the door. :angel:

Not true. Even though I do use pre-made and packaged goods, when possible I make things from scratch. it's a source of creativity, and boosts my self-esteem as well. Best of all, it's appreciated by those who eat it. of course there are some things I have neither the hardware, or the proper facilities to make, like artisan cheeses, or most sausages. I do make my own pate', and breakfast sausage though. I've even been known to grind my own flour, and separate it into bran, gluten, germ, and starch, and use every bit of part.

I just love the process, and what the exercises teaches me about how foods react to various techniques, and what they are made of. Equal to my love of cooking, is my love of learning, and the scientific techniques by which I can figure things out. Of course, a lot can be said for just trying new ideas, and see what the results are.

I am a certified wheel re-inventor. If I had the resources, I would design and build my own car, boat, airplane, etc. I don't so I invent recipes, and learn basic, then advanced food prep techniques.

There are those of us that just have that itch to explore, well, anything and everything. I'm one of those. It doesn't help you fit in with society, and you usually get some kind of degrading label for such behavior, especially from 5th grade to 12th grade, and often times beyond. But it's still worth it for the knowledge gained.

Then you have kids, and get to give them more than most kids get from their parents. And to me, that's the best thing I have done in this world.

I no longer have in-house family to cook for. And health reasons keep me from standing for long periods of time. When my kids were small, 99% of my cooking was from scratch. I think only milk and cheeses were not made at home. I learned to cook on a wood stove from a mother that grew up through the Depression. Any roast she made, the bone always had a second job to do. So I know about cooking from scratch. I just have no reason to do it now for just myself. I make most desserts for my kids, and that is always made from scratch. Sometimes if I am in the mood I will make noodles for scratch chicken soup. I have make puff pastry from scratch. Really not that hard to do. Just takes patience. But why should I do that now? :angel:

Last edited:
I learned that there is a lot of evil in the world, and you never know where it will come from until it hits you in the face.:glare:

Not true. Even though I do use pre-made and packaged goods, when possible I make things from scratch. it's a source of creativity, and boosts my self-esteem as well...

Chief, you are true Renaissance Man, and a rarity in these times. Beats being a curmudgeon by a mile too. ;)

I like to play in the kitchen a lot, doing a lot of "from-scratch". Unfortunately, I'd lose out to molasses in winter in a race. Explains why little more than cooking gets done around here.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

For financial reasons and because of my food sensitivities, I do make almost everything from scratch re: meals. However, this does not explain why my fridge is full of condiments...

Oh we have had summers like that here...
Addie, when we lived south of Cleveland I'd wear shorts when the temps got to the mid- or upper-60s. When we moved to MA I didn't even think of shorts until the mid-70s! IMO it's a different kind of temp in different areas of the country. And I'd much rather put up with 115 in Phoenix (been there/done that) than 90 around here. After all, it's a "dry" heat.

All spiders can and do bite. And they can inject some nasty stuff into your skin. It is their defense mechanism. Nasty enough to send you to the hospital a very sick person. You have just been lucky enough to have missed it. Mosquito bites can easily become infected. We do have one section of our country where it rains almost as much as it does in Merry Ole England. The Northwest. But even then they have more days of sunshine than rain. We do have majestic mountains that are snow capped year round, along with deserts that bloom with the most beautiful flowers you have ever seen. Miles and miles of beautiful seashores along with sprawling meadows. But no matter where you go in this country, we have some very unique fauna and flora that can not be found anywhere else on earth. I will gladly live with the inconveniences that each season brings. Because one day I got to see a Big Horn Sheep ram taking his time crossing the road right in front of the car I was in and it looked right at me. It was springtime. Had it been winter, that road would have been closed due to avalanche danger. I would have missed that. :angel:
Sorry, I meant spiders in the UK are well-trained and don't bite people and mozzie bites don't usually get infected. Mind you I was targeted by every horse fly in Derbyshire a few weeks ago and that was pretty nasty while it lasted but I'm a bit allergic to the bites.

My post was partly tongue in cheek. I haven't visited the States but we get nature and travel programmes on television and I agree that it's a beautiful and very varied country. Sadly, most Brits who visit the USA for holiday tend to go to Florida to "do" Disney and fail to see the big picture. I'm probably a bit old for the riding holiday out west that I always fancied when I was a girl but on my bucket list of "Things to Do Before I Die" is New England in the fall - very hackneyed and touristy, I know!

As for the animals, an old friend of mine used to be married to a keen amateur mountain climber and used to traipse all over the world with him. Sometime in the 1970s they were camping in the Yosemite when they heard a noise outside the tent, stuck their heads out of the tent and looked straight into the face of a bear. They were very lucky as it just looked at them and turned and walked away.

Last edited:
MC, we have running right up the middle of the country a Continental Divide. On one side all the streams flow toward the Pacific and on the other towards the Atlantic ocean. It starts at the border with Mexico and runs all the way up to the border with Canada. Real outdoors people that are nuts as far as I am concerned, hike that whole trail. You get to see scenery that makes you want to cry, it is so beautiful. From 15K feet you are standing on top of a mountain and can see as far as eternity. Beautiful wild flowers, deserts, grizzly bears, elk, big horn sheep, mountain goats and all other kinds of wild life. The hike can take as long as six months. You can run into wild fires in the forest, rakish watering holes, and so many more hazards. But every step is worth the hike.

I wouldn't go to see Disney World if it was the only thing in this country to see. Right now Florida is having a major problem with sink holes. And they are not far from Disney World. No thanks. I would rather go see the Grand Canyon or the Petrified Forest. :angel:

MC, we have running right up the middle of the country a Continental Divide. On one side all the streams flow toward the Pacific and on the other towards the Atlantic ocean. It starts at the border with Mexico and runs all the way up to the border with Canada. Real outdoors people that are nuts as far as I am concerned, hike that whole trail. You get to see scenery that makes you want to cry, it is so beautiful. From 15K feet you are standing on top of a mountain and can see as far as eternity. Beautiful wild flowers, deserts, grizzly bears, elk, big horn sheep, mountain goats and all other kinds of wild life. The hike can take as long as six months. You can run into wild fires in the forest, rakish watering holes, and so many more hazards. But every step is worth the hike.

It's actually one of several continental divides, it's toward the west coast, and doesn't stop at the borders. It divides all of the North and South American continents. I went horseback riding along the Continental Divide in Colorado and it's breathtakingly beautiful.
File:NorthAmerica-WaterDivides.png

Attachments

• DSC00050.jpg
    DSC00050.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC00029.jpg
    DSC00029.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC00046.jpg
    DSC00046.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Our PBS showed last night a two part documentary on it. The hiker took his time when he was in Colorado. He was enjoying the vistas too much. He was on top of the highest mountain and the sight was beyond description. Every so often he would leave the trail and go into one of the small towns that serviced the hikers. There were a lot of abandoned mining towns also. I was enthralled. :angel:

Last edited:
One of the ski runs at Breckenridge runs right along the continental divide. I recommend it to all! I love living in a state that is so beautiful.:)

Today I learned that even if you have a canning rack in your canner you should still use oven mitts to take it out! What the heck was I thinking??? Owie.

Today I learned that even if you have a canning rack in your canner you should still use oven mitts to take it out! What the heck was I thinking??? Owie.

Oh Alix...Ouch! I burn myself about once a week. :wacko:

Alix, don't have done that. Ow.

Chopper, I used to burn myself that often. I'm getting better about that. I have quit (most of the time, sometimes I forget) reaching into the oven without pulling out the shelf. I have fairly "hard hands", but I'm trying to remember to use pot holders, even when I don't think I really need them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom