What is a traditional breakfast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We are no longer a nation of farmers but people on the run out the door in the morning. So it is usually a piece of toast or bagel and a cup of coffee in a travel mug. For those fortunate enough to work in a building that has a cafeteria they will grab something more substantial before they go to their desk. So there no longer is a traditional American breakfast. :angel:

Just because people don't eat it every day doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

For my DA and me, it is a mixture of American and Romanian. American is cereal with milk, toast or English muffins with jelly and perhaps bacon.

Romanian will be polenta with crumbled bacon, fried eggs, and a buttered roll (bread).

Sometimes it is different as I am in school and time does run short: Cereal and a fried egg on top of toasted bread.

We often add nice fresh fruits to the breakfasts. Today we had the cereal, some bacon, and a nice grapefruit with milk and tea.

Your friend,
~Cat

French fries or home fries mixed with scrambled eggs and put in a tortilla with cheddar cheese. Sliced avocado and roasted spicy salsa.

Soup of any type is always good.

Omelette of any type.

C'mon now folks... if there is any traditional breakfast in America it is McDonalds #1 value meal; an egg McMuffin, hash brown and a coffee :LOL:

I too think the traditional breakfast consists of eggs, meat (bacon or sausage), home fries and toast. I'll bet the above gets eaten by more Americans on a daily basis though.

C'mon now folks... if there is any traditional breakfast in America it is McDonalds #1 value meal; an egg McMuffin, hash brown and a coffee :LOL:

I too think the traditional breakfast consists of eggs, meat (bacon or sausage), home fries and toast. I'll bet the above gets eaten by more Americans on a daily basis though.

And the McDonald's meal is basically a portable version of the traditional breakfast ;)

Mrs Dawg is from a small Blackforest town so when we lived there we had a basic breakfast of coffee, fresh rolls, bread, butter, and jam, soft-boiled eggs and a selection of cold cuts and cheese.
Normally only on weekends as life was way too hectic during the week back then.

If each family had their own traditional breakfast, there wouldn't have been so many similar answers. We're talking about the distant past when most Americans were descended from the English.

Don't think I saw "distant past" in the OP and I don't think the true native Americans ate an "English" breakfast.;)

I look forward to the large breakfasts that follow a major holiday.

Things like: Kielbasa, pierogies, eggs and rye toast slathered with butter or Italian hot sausage, Italian garlic toast with eggs and peppers.

When we were kids we also had fried smelts or bullheads, fried field mushrooms or venison tenderloin sliced and fried, great stuff!

Today I get by with a bowl of Fiber One and skim milk.

Like the guy on television says, fiber makes me sad! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

39817-albums888-picture5095.jpg

In our region, the traditional breakfast (as has been described here) is still served. But...that's because we live in a heavily farmed area and the farmers need their "fuel" for the day. They work, and sweat, hard all day long, in spite of having air-conditioned machinery.

As for our house, our weekday morning fare is usually pretty light and quick. Both of us are retired and aren't spending our days doing back-breaking chores so we don't need to tank up very heavily.

Sunday breakfast is when we "splurge" and enjoy a variety of more complex and calorie-laden foods. Still, we don't go nuts there either. Just goodies we wouldn't normally eat during the week.

You forgot the Heinz beans, lol. The full breakfast was always one of my favorite meals when visiting there and something I had to do at least once per trip. :)

On the flip side of the coin, I have a friend who visits once a year from Yorkshire, and his favorite American breakfast is pancakes at Perkins.

I've always considered a traditional American breakfast to be two eggs, hash browns, toast, and either bacon or sausage. But just like with the English breakfast, I don't think there are many of us who eat that sort of thing every day.

I try to eat something for breakfast every day. Occasionally I'll take the time to make eggs, but other days it might not be anything but a muffin with preserves and a cup of coffee.

What's up with the Heinz beans in England? How do they compare to canned baked beans in the US? I have visited a diet forum and there's an English woman who eats Heinz beans every day. Someone there posted that Heinz beans in England aren't the same as Heinz beans in US. I love baked beans but they usually contain too much sugar for me to be eating with my diabetes.

Last edited:
I eat eggs almost every day, but don't have the potatoes, toast, bacon, sausage. Just eggs, sometimes with leftover veggies or sliced tomatoes. I like oatmeal too, but like to have protein at the first meal.

The only time I have the full traditional breakfast is when we go out and I would really rather not have all those other things, but it is the "special" and you pay just as much if you order ala carte. I am addicted to McDonald's breakfast sandwiches and have them very often, without the hash browns. Our McDonalds has many manager's specials and they are usually BOGO or two for $3. I love a bargain!

What's up with the Heinz beans in England? How do they compare to canned baked beans in the US? I have visited a diet forum and there's an English woman who eats Heinz beans every day. Someone there posted that Heinz beans in England aren't the same as Heinz beans in US. I love baked beans but they usually contain too much sugar for me to be eating with my diabetes.

I tried Heinz beans and still prefer Bush's on my buttered toast for breakfast. Heinz were runnier. Maybe they like more sauce over there.

Ah yes, I did forget the Heinz beans and a fried tomato too . I have no idea how they compare as I don't know what the beans in the US are like .

Meant to say thank you for your interesting replies , I suppose our traditional type breakfasts are not dissimilar . Great for a hangover with HP brown sauce too !!

I don't think Black Pudding is very popular over here for breakfast. I saw it on a breakfast menu one time when I stayed in Bridgwater.

Last edited:
I don't think Black Pudding is very popular over here for breakfast. I saw it on a breakfast menu one time when I stayed in Bridgwater.

Never has been in my household. Although my first husband had a taste for it. That had to be from the Scottish/English side of him. :angel:

If we have a traditional breakfast in our house it's never the first early meal of the day, for sure. It might be brunch when we get home from church if we go in the morning - but we don't get home from church until just after noon. Most of the time that egg/meat/potato/toast traditional breakfast is served as supper. Himself likes his bowl of cereal almost every day, sometimes with a sliced banana. I'll have cold cereal sometimes in warmer weather, oatmeal most of the time in cooler weather, and something baked or toasted when it's not cereal.

Carol, I started making "McMuffins" when our kids were in school. You can buy sliced Canada bacon at most grocery stores. Maybe pac's house. I'd make an entire package of English muffins worth, freezing them individually wrapped after they cooled. Have a taste for one and it's cold and snowing outside? No problem! :) If you're hubby wants it handed through the drive-thru you could always hand it to him as he drives out of the garage...:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom