What is Montreal Chicken?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Yeah, I know I'm a vegetarian, but once a month +/- order a new product from a new company just to give it a shot, to see if there is something new out there that I can add to my diet. Most things I know what they are, so I can compare what the new product tastes like, in comparison to what it is supposed ti imitate.

Often, if not always, the imitation products taste nothing like their real counterpart, but can be used in a similar way. For Example, in this order I got Sliced Roast Beaf, Slice Corned Beaf ( not a spelling error, just a vegetarian play on the name ) and the Sliced Montreal Chick'n.

All are in cold cut - like form, ready to be placed on a sandwich.
Although its been awhile, I have a vivid memory of what most meat products ive eaten in the past tastes like. 99% of the time, the vegetarian version isn't even close, but at least I have an idea of where they are going or what they were trying to do. This brings me back to my question on Montreal Chicken. Ive never even heard of it, so I dont have an idea of what it is supposed to taste like.

So, the question is, Is Montreal Chicken a real thing? and if so, can you describe what it tastes like ( certain spices, salt, spicy .....) and how it would be used ?

McCormick Spices makes a "Montreal Chicken Spice" equivalent to Montreal Steak Spice.

It's actually pretty good.

"Montreal steak seasoning, also known as Montreal steak spice, Canadian steak seasoning, or Canadian steak spice, is a spice mix used to flavour steak and grilled meats.[1] It is based on the pickling dry-rub mix used in preparing Montreal smoked meat.[1] The smoked meat seasoning is derived from pickling mixes used in Romanian Jewish cuisine.[citation needed]

"The primary constituents of Montreal steak seasoning include garlic, coriander, black pepper, cayenne pepper flakes, dill seed, and salt.[2][3][4] The spice mix recipe varies slightly among restaurants and manufacturers."
~ Wikipedia

But the chicken spices are just a tiny bit different to steak spices.
Oops. The Montreal seasonings site says it contains "Garlic, Salt, Onion, Spices (Including Black Pepper, Parsley, and Red Pepper), Orange Peel, Paprika, Green Bell Peppers, and Sulfiting Agents."

Thanks for the responses, Im going with the Bilingual Chicken from Canada, makes the most sense too me :)

In all honesty, usually they try to load up these products heavily with spices to kill the taste, so it makes sense its based off of a spice mix.

I don't buy a lot of spice 'mixes' per se. The ones I do have are usually older than the proverbial *** - but yuh know what? They taste just fine when you're standing in front of the stove and wondering what to throw one the .....

I've used St. Hubert Chicken Spice Mix (very similar, if not exactly the same) as a dry rub on ribs - best ribs in the world! slow cook in the oven at 325 for about an hour'n a half. Delish! to die for!!! my most favourite way. I eat 1/2 a rack no problem. NO BBpuke sauce, thank you.

Never heard of "Montreal chicken" and I live in a suburb of Montreal and lived in Montreal for about 20 years.

I'll try to remember to take a picture next time at the grocer's. Haven't looked for it in ages. Not on my usual list.

Amazon / McCormick - Walmart / Club House -

and the blog Simplyscratch has a homemade recipe.

Back
Top Bottom