what is remoulade?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Remoulade

Definition: [ray-muh-LAHD] This classic French sauce is made by combining mayonnaise (usually homemade) with mustard, capers and chopped gherkins, herbs and anchovies. It's served chilled as an accompaniment to cold meat, fish and shellfish. --Copyright (c) 1995 by Barron's Educational Series, from The New Food Lover's Companion, Second Edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst

Following recipes from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.

White Remoulade Sauce:
3/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoon finely chopped green onions (green part only)
2 tablespoons finely chopped yellow onions
2 tablespoons finely chopped celery
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh parsley
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
1 teaspoon powdered mustard
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk lightly to blend. Store in an airtight container and refrigerate until needed. (It will keep for up to 2 days.)

Red Remoulade Sauce:
1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons finely chopped celery
1 tablespoon finely chopped yellow onions
1 tablespoon finely chopped green onions (green part only)
1 tablespoon Creole mustard, or other hot, whole-grain mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
1 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk lightly to blend. Store in an airtight container and refrigerate until needed. (It will keep for up to 2 days.)

Don't like these recipes - or want other options? Click on this link: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=remoulade+recipe

You can make a quick & dirty version in minutes that tastes very close to the "real thing." Take 2 cups of 1000 Island dressing, then stir in 3 TBSP stone ground Dijon mustard and 1 tsp prepared Horseradish. You can of course vary this to taste; if it's to zippy scale back the mustard.

This is very good on fried shrimp and buffalo winds, also good on sandwhiches as a spread.

Here's another Quick and dirty Remoulade sauce that I came up with.

2 tbs. Mayo
1 1/2 tbs. of Mustard; (I found a Wasabi-Raspberry vinagrette thats' more of a dressing, probably anything that has a bit of heat will do)

2 tsp Wasabi paste (using a not very hot variety)
1 tsp horseradish
dash or two of Worcestshire sauce
a few capers

If the sauce doesnt have much color you can add some chile sauce to it to give it more redder color. THe color depends on what kind of mustard you use. If you use a light yellow mustard the color isnt impressive.

If I had them I would probably add scallions and fresh parsely

can you elaborate? For example would there be a different method of whisking or layering for each? how will the texture feel for each?

It may just be me, but remoulade (and I love it!!) always reminds me of a very zippy and gourmet version of thousand island dressing (which, I might add, we almost always made at home when I was a kid).

Claire said:
It may just be me, but remoulade (and I love it!!) always reminds me of a very zippy and gourmet version of thousand island dressing (which, I might add, we almost always made at home when I was a kid).

That's a great comparison, Claire!
Growing up, my mom and I lived on Thousand Island dressing. It's a rare treat now, since I try to be a little more healthy!

Home-made thousand island is great fun for kids to make as a contribution to a big company dinner. Just take mayo or miracle whip, catsup, relish (or better yet chop some pickles), and various other seasonings (w-sauce, hot sauce, various garlic, onion, celery powders), horseradish, and let your kids go wild. Hey, you might wind up with remoulade! Put it in a lovely bowl on the table, and your kids will know they participated in making the meal, because it WILL taste great.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom