What is the best material of cloth for cleaning kitchen and dining table?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But, that isn't liquid fabric softener. I know people who have had a problem with that with micro fibre cloths.

I don't use any kind of fabric softener, including dryer sheets. I just don't see a reason, since microfibre is naturally very soft. I use some of those microfibre sheets to clean my reading glasses, and they work wonderfully -- as is. I don't want to have any fabric softener residue on my glasses, especially since the microfibre works great without it. If is ain't broke, don't fix it.

CD

One last question - Should I hand wash or machine wash the microfibre cloth after use??

I machine wash them at a medium temperature, by themselves. I don't wash them with anything that could add lint to the mix. I have enough to make a full load, I'm not wasting a wash load. I machine dry them at a low temperature for about 20 minutes. They don't need a lot of time and high temperatures to dry.

By themselves, microfibre towels produce virtually no lint. If you mix them with cotton items, especially terrycloth towels, you add lint. Ask any professional car detailer, and they will do the same thing.

So, machine wash warm, and machine dry low. Bob's you uncle (as the Brits would say).

CD

If you really want to geek out over microfibre towels, watch this video by one of the best car detailers in the country. They detail cars for the Pebble Beach Concours de' Elegance.

Keep in mind, he is washing towels that have been used to detail cars, so they are going to have car wax in them.

I use basically the same method to wash my car detailing towels. And, pretty much the same method to wash all my microfibre towels -- but my kitchen towels don't have car wax in them, so they don't leave any residue in my washer, so I don't have to clean the washer after I do a load.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9W-mMJicSM

CD

You didn't say liquid fabric softener ;)

GG, you don't need ANY fabric softener, and you shouldn't use it. Watch the video I posted. Believe it or not, that guy knows more than you (gasp) on this subject, and so do I (double gasp).

Machine wash in plain liquid detergent with warm water. Dry on low heat -- no dryer sheets! It is that simple.

CD

I machine wash them at a medium temperature, by themselves. I don't wash them with anything that could add lint to the mix. I have enough to make a full load, I'm not wasting a wash load. I machine dry them at a low temperature for about 20 minutes. They don't need a lot of time and high temperatures to dry.

By themselves, microfibre towels produce virtually no lint. If you mix them with cotton items, especially terrycloth towels, you add lint. Ask any professional car detailer, and they will do the same thing.

So, machine wash warm, and machine dry low. Bob's you uncle (as the Brits would say).

I don't use any kind of fabric softener, including dryer sheets. I just don't see a reason, since microfibre is naturally very soft. I use some of those microfibre sheets to clean my reading glasses, and they work wonderfully -- as is. I don't want to have any fabric softener residue on my glasses, especially since the microfibre works great without it. If is ain't broke, don't fix it.
I use a few microfiber cloths - not towels - for household cleaning. I don't deliberately use fabric softener sheets on them - they just go through the washer and dryer with everything else. I've never noticed any residue on glass or wood or any other surfaces after cleaning with them.

I'm not really concerned with what professional car detailers do.

I use a few microfiber cloths - not towels - for household cleaning. I don't deliberately use fabric softener sheets on them - they just go through the washer and dryer with everything else. I've never noticed any residue on glass or wood or any other surfaces after cleaning with them.

I'm not really concerned with what professional car detailers do.

I used the word "towels," but what I was saying applies to microfibre "cloths" too.

I posted the proper way to wash and dry microfibre towels/cloths, with links to supporting "evidence." That's something you do all the time when you tell us we are "doing it wrong."

Well, now it is my turn to say, "You're doing it wrong." If it works for you, go ahead and do it. I have no problem with that. But, I am sharing the right way to wash and dry microfibre -- and it is super easy to do. If you only use a few microfibre towels/cloths, I can see why you would mix them in with the rest of your laundry. That is just not the best way to wash and dry microfibre. It is what it is.

So, "let the people decide" based on the information presented.

CD

Last edited:
You didn't say liquid fabric softener ;)

But, I wouldn't use the dryer sheets either. Maybe it doesn't matter when cleaning in the house, but as the video mentioned, you don't want to use dryer sheets if you are going to be polishing your car with them. I realize that some people are not that picky when polishing their car, but I and a lot of other people are. I learned about micro fibre towels in a detailing forum.

But, I wouldn't use the dryer sheets either. Maybe it doesn't matter when cleaning in the house, but as the video mentioned, you don't want to use dryer sheets if you are going to be polishing your car with them. I realize that some people are not that picky when polishing their car, but I and a lot of other people are. I learned about micro fibre towels in a detailing forum.

That's how I learned about them. Then I figured, if it is good enough for a Ferrari, it is more than good enough for my house. I can get 36 of them for $17.99 at COSTCO -- fifty cents a towel/cloth.

A package of six paper towel rolls lasts me well over six months. I have fifty bucks worth of re-useable microfibre towels/cloths that I use instead of one use and trash paper towels.

CD

I didn't watch the video because I don't really want to geek out about what car detailers do, since I don't use them on my vehicle. I'm simply sharing my experience.

Last edited:
That's something you do all the time when you tell us we are "doing it wrong."

Well, now it is my turn to say, "You're doing it wrong." If it works for you, go ahead and do it.

Lose the quotes, Casey. I have never once said, "You're doing it wrong." If that's how you hear a correction, that's your issue, not mine.

I'm not doing it wrong for my purposes and the OP was asking about using them for cleaning the dining room table, so my response is appropriate. Yours is off topic - not that there's anything wrong with that.

Lose the quotes, Casey. I have never once said, "You're doing it wrong." If that's how you hear a correction, that's your issue, not mine.

I'm not doing it wrong for my purposes and the OP was asking about using them for cleaning the dining room table, so my response is appropriate. Yours is off topic - not that there's anything wrong with that.

But GG, you don't see the point. You to correct us regularly, but get in a huff when we correct you -- well, at least some of us. You can certainly wash your microfibre anyway you want. Someone asked about washing microfibre towels. Fabric softener and dryer sheets are just not recommended.

I'm getting weary of this. If you want the last word, it's all yours.

CD

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom