What is this with "dipping?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Buffalo Wings, which originated in Frank & Teresa's Anchor Bar in Buffalo, NY (hence the name Buffalo wings) were originally served with bleu cheese, NEVER RANCH!, dressing. The bleu cheese dressing was for dipping the celery sticks that came with an order of wings. IT IS NOT FOR THE DAMN WINGS! That is disgusting! I was there when the fad started, so I know these things.

OK, Sir LOB, we are talking about dipping or with a fork, not what goes with who. :LOL:So It's OK to pour the cheese over the celery and eat with a fork? You weren't exactly clear on that. :ROFLMAO:

Also, please enlighten me, what is an "In-N-Out double double", sounds like a coffee or something from Starbuck's but the animal style confuses me.

You dip the celery into the blue cheese sauce, like a crudite. The celery and blue cheese dip help to cool the heat/spice of the buffalo sauce.

OK, Sir LOB, we are talking about dipping or with a fork, not what goes with who. :LOL:So It's OK to pour the cheese over the celery and eat with a fork? You weren't exactly clear on that. :ROFLMAO:

Also, please enlighten me, what is an "In-N-Out double double", sounds like a coffee or something from Starbuck's but the animal style confuses me.
Here ya go @dragnlaw
I personally am not a fan of In-N-Out, I don't see the hype to it.
If I want a Burger & Fries, I either make my own or go to a local Mom&Pop Joint.

While I found the burgers from In 'n Out to be delicious, the staff are noticeably uptight. I was doing low carb when I went. I had been told that they would give you a burger with lettuce instead of a bun. Well, they were very strict. They insisted there was no such thing. It turns out that there is a secret menu item like that. But, you need to know the exact name that they use. You can't just describe it. So, someone enlightened me as to the exact name of the burger with a lettuce "bun" and I asked for that at the same resto that had said it did not exist, and they gave me a burger with lettuce as substitute for the bun. I don't like playing silly bugger games like that.

While I found the burgers from In 'n Out to be delicious, the staff are noticeably uptight. I was doing low carb when I went. I had been told that they would give you a burger with lettuce instead of a bun. Well, they were very strict. They insisted there was no such thing. It turns out that there is a secret menu item like that. But, you need to know the exact name that they use. You can't just describe it. So, someone enlightened me as to the exact name of the burger with a lettuce "bun" and I asked for that at the same resto that had said it did not exist, and they gave me a burger with lettuce as substitute for the bun. I don't like playing silly bugger games like that.
So do tell what is the secret name?

Don't most or all of those dips have sugar and fat in them? Since becoming diabetic, I never dip anymore.

medtran, I'm with you on that. If I serve a dipping sauce I also supply multiple little bowls for people to put their sauce in.

I also agree that some things should not have dip/gravy/sauce "poured" over them. Not all though, there are many that benefit.

Look at Poutine, my best loved example. You need that hot gravy to melt the cheese curds into long stringy messy pieces of cheese stretching from fork to plate with a fry hanging on to it all, and all covered with gravy. :-p:-p:-p:-p
There are a lot of things that I put the gravy UNDER, while others would be it OVER. Pretty much anything that is breaded, if there's a gravy or sauce, I put the gravy/sauce on the plate first & then set the breaded item on top of that gravy or sauce. Chicken Fried Steak, Breaded Cutlets, etc.

Potatoes, pot roast, or pretty much any "roast"...OVER it is!

Don't most or all of those dips have sugar and fat in them? Since becoming diabetic, I never dip anymore.
Most foods have some sort of sugar and/or fat in them. You don't necessarily have to eliminate them from your diet just because you have diabetes. They can be eaten in moderation. Fat in particular is necessary in order for the body to absorb the fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K.

Last edited:
I know it's not 'd'rigueur' but generally speaking wouldn't most gravy that goes 'over' be served in a gravy boat, at the table, to be passed around so the diner puts as much on as they wish, where the wish?

TTT, first place I'd really heard of a sauce being served 'under' was here. Other than the schmear you see done on haute cuisine plates that wouldn't keep a kitten alive.

I know it's not 'd'rigueur' but generally speaking wouldn't most gravy that goes 'over' be served in a gravy boat, at the table, to be passed around so the diner puts as much on as they wish, where the wish?

TTT, first place I'd really heard of a sauce being served 'under' was here. Other than the schmear you see done on haute cuisine plates that wouldn't keep a kitten alive.
Learned it at the "Studio Deli"...no longer there, but it is THE way to go!

What does "TTT" stand for?

Back
Top Bottom