What Is This?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
While on my trip to the Dominican Republic I was able to hang out in the kitchen of the house we were staying. i wish I had some more time there because it would have been a blast to cook in this kitchen. Anyway on the pot rack there was something that was hanging that none of us knew what it was. I figured that someone here would most definitley be able to solve the mystery for us. Basically it looked like a shallow roasting pan made out of copper. The bottom was cut out though and there are feet on each corner. It looks like something is supposed to sit inside it. I don't think it is just for serving, but I really don't know. Any ideas?

Attachments

• What Is This.jpg
    What Is This.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 177
If you laid this thing flat on flat surface, would the inside edge of the cut-out touch the surface or would it be raised?

Unfortunately that is the only picture I have of it. I forgot to get a better one before we left.

The inside edge would be raised Andy. The view you are looking at is of the bottom. The little circles in each corner are feet that raise the whole thing up about a quarter inch.

I have something similar looking. Mine has a removable pie dish.

Geebs...........Send that picture to Cook's Illustrated mag. Try sending it online to their website.

They have [I'm sure you have seen it] a thing in each issue called 'what is it?' Maybe they can figure it out. I still say chaffing/trivet though.

Great idea PT! I originally thought it was a trivet too. The only reason I am not 100% about that is because it is made of copper. Would they bother to make it of copper if they were not going to use it to cook. I suppose that is a possibility.

Copper looks nice. Mine is also made of copper.

I am not sure what it is but copper holds heat well plus transfers it well you could put it over heat without hurting it or it would make a great holding frame because you could heat it to help keep the center tray warm without taking the chance of further cooking the food item in the center container, anyway you have something to further add to the fun of your trip! :cool:

norgeskog said:
My best guess would be something for serving, i.e., put hot, just out of the oven, casserole in it.

Yes, that's it.

I bet they have a casserole to fit the copper holder somewhere in the kitchen.

The holder sits on the buffet and protects the surface from being burned by the hot casserole dish.

choclatechef said:
Yes, that's it.

I bet they have a casserole to fit the copper holder somewhere in the kitchen.

The holder sits on the buffet and protects the surface from being burned by the hot casserole dish.

Choc, do I win the item////:cool:

I have to agree that it looks like part of a 2 or 3-piece chaffing dish - probably with a metal, ceramic, Pyrex, or Corningware insert (2-pc) which may have a lid (making it 3-pc). I have one similar piece but it's not as fancy - it's a ceramic baking dish with a basket holder.

As for idea of it being good to hold in the heat because copper is a good heat conductor ... the opposite is true. A good heat conductor, like copper, heats up quickly - and cools off just as quickly. If it was intended to retain heat - it would have been made of a poor heat conductor, like cast iron or straw.

Back
Top Bottom