What is your family's favorite dish in family gathering??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

letscook

Head Chef
As I was commenting on a post, I got to thinking what are other family's favorite dishes odd or not that have to be at your family gathering.

My family, was my mom orange jello salad, between us 8 kids, we called it Moms fiber salad. It wouldn't be a meal without it. Also no matter how big of dish she made there was never any left.

Orange Jello Salad

1- lg pk of orange jello mixed according to pkg,
place that into a shallow dish Like a cake pan, you only want it no more the 2 inch thick so what whatever dish just keep it shallow

Then add a lg can of well drained crushed pineapple
then shred 2-3 carrots and 2-3 celery stalks finely cut in small pcs.
enough that when you stir it all together it is mostly veggies not jello. but not to thick got to have some jello in-between.
cover and refridge.

You can do it in a ring mold also. I don't know if she made it up herself or found the recipe. but we love it.

Mom used to make jello molds for these holidays, too, but never veggies in them, though you'd think she would have tried to sneak some veggies in, being one of those Adelle Davis fans! The thing I liked best was a mandarin fruit salad, with some pineapple, mandarins, coconut, and some sour cream. Years later, after I had moved out, and usually just took the desserts over, Mom got in an argument on Thanksgiving with my uncle about eating cauliflower - something that he simply would not eat, which is understandable. The brassicas in those days were always boiled, overcooked, and served with butter on them. This was a challenge to me, as always, when somebody says they don't like something. So for Christmas, I made a cauliflower au gratin - a simple, cheesy white sauce, with a crust on it - and after finally giving in, and tasting it, he insisted that it was not cauliflower...because he liked it! That was something that I had to make from then on, and was always totally eaten up every time. But I always made a small batch in a foil pan, for him to take home with him.

I think the thing that I liked best at these gatherings was the stuffing in the turkey. No special recipe, or any extra herbs or seasonings added to it, but I think it was because it was only three times a year that I got it!

You are so right boiled cauliflower is awful - love it the way you did it. I roast it a lot along with carrots and broccoli, sometime I add parsnips and butternut squash to the group. lil olive oil and salt and pepper, so good

...I made a cauliflower au gratin - a simple, cheesy white sauce, with a crust on it - and after finally giving in, and tasting it, he insisted that it was not cauliflower...because he liked it!...

Basically, he really likes cheese sauce.

For me and one son., it is mashed rutabagga with brown sugar and butter. For DW, her gravy nust be thickened with a corn starch slurry. I prefer to thicken with a roux
DW must have mashed potatoes, and white turkeymeat. The two foods I must have on Thanksgiving are sage, bread dressin, and the mashed rutabagga, oh, and very juicy and tener turkey, with crispy skin. Other holidays all have differng menues
There is nothing tha has to be there for every holliday. For the wedding aniversary, the needs to be king crab legs, and lobster, with drawn butter. For Christmas, we didn"t cook, but rather put out a sprrad of different kinds of breads, and rolls, cheesrs, deli meats, and sausages, with appropriate veggies, and condiments. Everyone made what they wanted.

I sincerely hope that everyone gets to enjoy their favorites this year.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I have an aunt who always brings a pistachio jelled salad with pineapple. My sister adapted her cranberry and pecan jello mold so it's not quite as sweet. Seems like more people who show up for Christmas dinner are diabetic - mostly type 2.

Back
Top Bottom