What is your favorite snack that no one else will touch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like dulse to snack on once in a while, not many people, unless they are Maritimers, seem to like them - much less even know what it is!

I think the world of people who know (black) licorice are divided in half - those who love and those who hate.... luckily in my particular world no one likes it ;):pig::pig: yah! all for me!

I like dulse to snack on once in a while, not many people, unless they are Maritimers, seem to like them - much less even know what it is!

I think the world of people who know (black) licorice are divided in half - those who love and those who hate.... luckily in my particular world no one likes it ;):pig::pig: yah! all for me!

I have had dulse. It was good, but only in small quantities.

Don't worry, I don't want your black licorice. It's not the kind I like. You probably wouldn't like the kind I like, "salmiak pastiller". They are popular in the Nordic countries. They contain ammonium chloride. I used to consider those a real treat when I was a kid and my mum would bring some back from visits to Denmark. I have had them as an adult and still like them. They are just hard to come by around here. I like those in small quantities.

Actually I have had them, or a similar pastille. Not quite the same as the soft licorice we have here but still very good!

Actually I have had them, or a similar pastille. Not quite the same as the soft licorice we have here but still very good!

Did you try the ones with ammonium chloride? I think that makes a huge difference. As kids, we would take six of the little, hard, diamond shaped pastiller and lick one side or each one and stick them to the back of a hand in a star shape. Then we could lick a bit, whenever we wanted the taste. My mum taught us that, so I think it's probably a pretty standard way for Danish kids to enjoy them.

This reminds me of Sen-Sen candies! I loved those things when I was a kid. Sadly, they are no longer made.

Screenshot_20220425-153908.jpg

I can never get anyone to share an anchovy pizza with me, so I always have enough leftovers for at least two more meals. In fact, since I have lived in California (40 years) I have only found three people to share an anchovy pizza, and they were all Pilipinos.

I´m on my way. LOVE anchovy pizza - and if you add a few sliced finger chiles, and a few capers, even better!

taxy, :LOL: although my father was a Chemical Engineer and was constantly trying to teach us tid-bits - I don't think at 10 yrs old I would have paid much attention or retained, to a subject on ammonium chloride. :LOL:

OMG... yes CG! Sen-sens too! loved them!

The pastilles were larger than the sen-sens and harder than wine gums but not crunchy.

Kipper snacks (smoked herring) from Canada. Couldn't get these for awhile due to import/export regs 2ndary to covid restrictions.

How I like to eat these-- 2 slices whole grain toast, one can kippers drained, raw onion slice and a squeegee of yellow ball park mustard. This is a lonely food to eat unless you share a wee morsel with the cat.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say no one will eat my snacks, since hubs and I eat the same snacks.
Oat-fruit cookies, dehydrated pineapple, fresh oranges, apples, bananas, dried berries assorted, dairy free dark chocolate chips, all fruit nothing added fruit rollups (was a gift from family that we keep in the truck).

Kipper snacks (smoked herring) from Canada. Couldn't get these for awhile due to import/export regs 2ndary to covid restrictions.

How I like to eat these-- 2 slices whole grain toast, one can kippers drained, raw onion slice and a squeegee of yellow ball park mustard. This is a lonely food to eat unless you share a wee morsel with the cat.

Try it on Ryvita or one of the other crisp rye breads, like Rye Crisp or Wasa.

Danes like to put the raw onion or chives, maybe some sliced, hard boiled egg or a small bit of scrambled egg. A blob of crème fraiche or sour cream is good too.

Kipper snacks (smoked herring)

from family that we keep in the truck).

Try it on Ryvita or one of the other crisp rye breads, like Rye Crisp or Wasa.

Dad would take sardine sandwiches for lunch. Blech...
He also ate them on Ryvita, etc.

Bliss... what family do you keep in the truck? Do they like it there? Do you let them out often? or at least for a bit at night?

My favorite snack is smoked Gouda and pimento stuffed green olives. Have you any idea how hard it is to get smoked Gouda here in central Texas? When I find it I get extra. Thank heavens cheese keeps well!

Bliss... what family do you keep in the truck? Do they like it there? Do you let them out often? or at least for a bit at night?

They are a very small family.:LOL: Small, thin, short. They like it. We never let them out, even at night, though sometimes when we go shopping they escape and we have to search for them. Last time we found them at Baskin Robbins.

We've been eating leftover apple blueberry pancakes for snacks lately.

Back
Top Bottom