What is your favorite soup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
for now mine is chicken noodle since I successfully made some and it tasted real good which isn't always the case with my cooking but I am learning. They say it is never to late to learn and I am retired and believe that cliche. So what is your favorite soup and why. Because its easy to make? Or it tastes good? Or both maybe.

I love to make and eat minestrone. It takes a while, since I start with roasting beef bones to make my own broth. I make a really large pot of it, and have several containers to freeze. It's not particularly easy to make, but it does taste good!

Soup is one of my favorite things to eat! I cannot isolate one I love over all the others. A lot depends on what I'm in the mood for.

Soups are a major reason I look forward to colder weather.

Some of my very favorite soups in no particular order:

Beef barley soup
Hungarian goulash soup
Tom Yum
Tom Kha
Hot and Sour
Chicken Taco Soup
Creamy Wild Mushroom Soup
Baked Potato and Bacon Soup
Potato Leek Soup
Tomato Rosemary Soup
Black Bean Soup
French Onion
Egg and Lemon
Minestrone
Munti

I can't pick just one favorite. I love soups. Greek Lemon Spinach soup, Habitant soup, Asparagus soup, tortilla soup, a hot sour soup. None of them are particularly hard to make and I like variety. After soup with bread I'm satisfied.

I too love soups, both hot and cold. I've written a whole cookbook of nothing but soups, stews, and chowders.

For chicken soups, let's start wit:
  • Chicken with egg noodles
  • Chicken & biscuit sty dumplings
  • Chicken wit spaetzli noodles
  • Chicken with pearl barley
  • Cream of Chicken with celeriac
  • Hot & sour chicken soup
  • Chicken carcass soup
  • Chicken with spinach soup (chicken Florentine soup)
  • Chicken with Asian veggies, i.e. water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, spring onions, ginger, soy sauce, mung bean sprouts
  • Cheesy chicken soup
  • And more
Beef Soups
  • Beef with veggies
  • Beef and barley
  • Left over steak soup
  • Oxtail soup
  • Beef shank soup
  • Beef marrow soup
  • Beef and noodle Soup
  • Southwestern beef & tortilla soup
  • Chili (can be a whole different category)
  • Pho
  • Hamburger soup
  • Beef with black rice soup
  • Beef with wild rice soup
  • Beef teriyaki soup
  • Beef and hardboiled egg soup
  • Pepper steak soup
  • Meatball soup
  • Philly cheese steak soup
  • Beef & tomato soup
  • Beef and mushroom soup
  • Corned beef and cabbage soup
  • New England boiled dinner
  • I could go on

Tomato based Soups
  • Tomato-basil soup
  • Fresh tomato soup
  • Pizza soup
  • Gazpacho
  • Tomato with rice
  • Southwestern tomato-taco soup
  • Tomato with shrimp soup
  • Tomato with scallops
  • Tomato with elbow macaroni soup
And then there are:
  • bisques
  • desert soups
  • essence soups
  • seafood soups
  • consume'
  • egg drop soups
  • wonton soups
  • cold soups
  • cheese soups
  • poultry soups
  • vegetable soups
  • pasta soups
  • all kinds of chowders
  • related dishes like jambalaya
And we still have many more categories I haven't touched on.

All the soups I listed, I have made over the years, and would share the recipes for any and all of them.

But don't be overwhelmed by my list. Just use as a reference, and decide which sound appealing to you.

Seeeeeya: Chief Longwind of the North

We never called any soup habitant soup, until I came here and people talked about it. It's split pea soup. I just made some the day before yesterday. I love the stuff.
I can it also.
https://ucanr.edu/sites/mfp_of_cs/files/341899.pdf
I put potatoes in instead of ham. Ham tends to be hard on the kidneys with meat protein and salt.

This is interesting. I always knew Habitant as a brand name primarily for yellow pea soup.

shopping.jpg

I guess the question now is: Which came first, the brand name version of the soup or the soup recipe that the brand adopted and made popular.

Andy, I have never seen habitant soup in the store, nor was it talked about that made me think of yellow split peas. Thank you.

I've been known to order soup for dessert when out in a restaurant ( assuming I liked it as an appetizer ).

Favorite soup from a restaurant (used to be) Vegetarian Hot and Sour soup. Sadly, all the restaurants that made it well, went out of business.

Favorite soups too make
Minestrone
Split Pea
Mushroom barley
Take off of Ratners Potato soup
Tomato soup ( with a few tortellini floating around in it )
Potato/ Leek
Spinach / Malanga soup
Borsht ( Hot and Cold)
Corn Chowder

Oh, I forgot one of my favorite categories, legume soups.
  • Split pea with grated carrot, and ham hock
  • Red lentil Soup
  • Dahl
  • French Canadian yellow pea soup, with whole dried peas and coarse black pepper (Habitant)
  • U.S. Senate bean soup
  • Cassoulet
  • Black bean with onion soup
  • Three bean soup with chili powder (black beans, butter beans, dark red kidney beans)
  • Cream Pea with fresh artichoke hearts soup
  • Red beans with andouille sausage soup
  • Navy bean with bacon soup
  • great Northern beans with mushrooms, tomato, and macaroni soup
  • Split green pea with diced potatoes and smoked pork cheeks
  • Curried Green lentil soup

I'm thinking that just about anything can be made into great soups, except maybe beads. pastries, and such. Even there tough you can serve thicker soups in bread bowls, of puff pastry cups.:D

I wonder: if you took fresh, sweet watermelon, with some of the white part of the rind, blended it up until smooth, would that be a cold desert soup?:ohmy:

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief--the white part of the rind of watermelon dehydrates well.....also, it cooks up a lot like cucumber and would be good in soups or stews.

We never called any soup habitant soup, until I came here and people talked about it. It's split pea soup. I just made some the day before yesterday. I love the stuff.
I can it also.
https://ucanr.edu/sites/mfp_of_cs/files/341899.pdf
I put potatoes in instead of ham. Ham tends to be hard on the kidneys with meat protein and salt.

Habitant is a brand of soup that has been bought by Campbell's. They make all sorts of different kinds of soup. Calling something "Habitant soup" is similar to calling something "Campbell's soup".

This is interesting. I always knew Habitant as a brand name primarily for yellow pea soup.

View attachment 52140

I guess the question now is: Which came first, the brand name version of the soup or the soup recipe that the brand adopted and made popular.

I'm pretty sure the recipe came first. Lots of people still make French Canadian style pea soup at home. That style of soup is popular in Quebec and has been since before the Habitant company.

Soup? Favorite soup?

Too many to count and, as someone already mentioned, depends on my mood and the time of the year.

I LOVE soup and I guess if it was push comes to shove, it would have to be my own created potato soup. My youngest brother who is no longer with us would darned nearly crawl over broken glass for a bowl of it.

My favorite soup is cream of crab, though I am also partial to any seafood bisque (well, at least the ones I have had).

I am not a huge soup eater though, it is nice on occasion, especially as a starter but rarely do I think soup needs to be the meal.

I did make a wicked good deer rib, mushroom and barely soup once.

I think my #1 favorite soup would be Albondigas. At least for now!? I enjoy making it with plenty of veggies. Many restaurants don't put enough veggies in it for me. I like to include jalapenos for a little added warmth. I make enough so that there are a few quarts to go in the freezer too. I use turkey for the meatballs, so there's an added benefit of a good night's sleep after a bowl for dinner!

I do make soups occasionally but not a big eater of it. Either a really small starter or the whole pot for a meal with a loaf of bread. :chef:

The only "water" soup I make is WonTon, other than that it will be a cream soup. Barley, Potato, Chowder. I like and make Cream of a vegie - Broccoli, Cauliflower, etc.

I make a group of soups that I call essence soups. These are broth soups, with almost no solids. Examples would be consome', fume's, çhicken broth, mushroom broth, and many others.

My first experience with this kind of soup was in the Phillipines, at a resort, where they had this soup made with tiny clambs, smaller than a fingernail. The broth had a rich clam flavor and really wetted the appetite. That's what my essence soups are, appetizers that prepare you for what's to be served, without fulling you up. Try an essence soup as an appetizer to your next meal, be it family, or a get together with friends. Just make sure the soup compliments the meal.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Nostalgia

My mother almost always served a consomme as a course with her dinner occasions. I think she probably used Campbell's Beef Consomme, it was popular back then. It was also served during family dinners, it was one of my dad's favourites.

The small'ish' bowls with 2 handles, almost like miniature chowder bowls, were used and known as Consomme Bowls. Usually most dinner sets had them. Served on small plates, aka salad plates, (on top of the dinner plate?), for easy removal.
Family dinners did not use the C Bowls, lol.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom