What is your favorite spice you use generally?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
I sometimes need to spice up something that tastes sort of blaze. So what I use is chili powder. One reason I use it because someone else posted somewhere that they used it and liked it. What spice is your favorite to spice up a dish?

Too perk up a dish, I often use garlic, fish sauce, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and sometimes, I cut a chilli pepper in half, the long way and fry it in the oil I will be using to fry the main dish in. I may or may not include the chilli pepper in the dish.

Peppers are my favorite - a day rarely goes by that I don't eat something with at least one of these peppers in it! Garlic, close to it, but chiles are definitely #1. If I had to pick the one I use the most it would be the Thai/jyoti - the short, very hot peppers, in many types of food whole, and I crush them for pepper flakes, and grind them for a cayenne substitute. I don't buy chili powder with garlic, cumin, and Oregano added - I'll add those, if I want them, as needed. However, these are my favorite pure chili powders, that I mix, to make chili and the like:

Chamoya
Pecos Red
Rancho
Texas Red Dog

Here are all of the peppers in my pantry (maybe - haven't updated it since last summer):

All dry peppers
*= also in the freezer

Ancho
Aji Colorado
Aji Dulce*
Aleppo
Byadagi
Cascabel
Chipotle
Chocolate Habanero*
Death Spiral
Fresno *(only frozen)
Guahillo
Jyoti*
Lombak
Kashmiri
Morita
Mulato
Numex mild
Numex medium
Numex hot
Paper Lantern*
Passilla
Serrano Seco
Superchili*
Superthai*
Thai Vesuvius*
White Bullet Habanero*

If you´re talking spices, then coriander, cumin, turmeric, nigella seeds,cardamom, cinnamon.
If it´s herbs, then basil, dill, coriander (cilantro) and oregano.
Other flavour enhancers? Fresh garlic and fresh ginger.
Bottled condiments? Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, balsamic vinegar.

It really depends on what the dish is. Often, though, some type of acid perks up a dish that just needs a little oomph - lemon or lime juice or some type of vinegar.

Frank's Red Hot Sauce

51955901392_519f26a9a9_m.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom