What is your favorite wild game?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I love wild game, and have had it many times, from cotton tale, and snowshoe rabbit, to ruuffed grouse, to woodcock, and wild duck, and goose. For big game, I've had Michigan white tail deer, Montana mule deer, Montana antelope, and black bear, and elk.

Of those, my favorite fowl is ruffed grouse, followed by duck. I loved also the rabbit. Of the big game, my favorites are, in order, mule deer, whitetail, antelope, bear, then elk.

My son harvested an antelope, a mule deer, and a black bear this year. The venison is so rich in flavor, with none of the gaminess of whitetail, though I like that gamey flavor. I enjoy beef, lamb, mutton, and pork. But they don't compare, for me, with the flavor from wild game, though a corn fed goose is pretty high on the list as well, as is goat.

What are your favorite game meats?

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I like elk, but have never shot one. I used to help friends on backcountry hunts dress, skin, and pack their game, in exchange for a quarter. Same with moose, which is excellent.

We've hunted mostly pronghorn antelope and mule deer. I like both.

The general rule with game meat is that you need to cut and cook it differently than fatty beef or pork. My favorite way is to cut roasts, some quite small, and brown them, then finish them in a slow (250°F) oven to temperature. The fond from the browning pan makes a good reduction with red wine and perhaps some pomegranate juice.

PhvBjOm.jpg

Last edited:
Ooh, I just remembered. Porcupine. It is really tasty. If they have been eating conifer needles, you probably want to skip the liver. Just cook it like pork, but remembering that there is a risk of trichina with porcupine, so follow the old temperature rules for pork. DO NOT BURN THE QUILLS OFF. Just skin it very carefully.

Ooh, I just remembered. Porcupine. It is really tasty. If they have been eating conifer needles, you probably want to skip the liver. Just cook it like pork, but remembering that there is a risk of trichina with porcupine, so follow the old temperature rules for pork. DO NOT BURN THE QUILLS OFF. Just skin it very carefully.

nd give the skin to a Native American who does quill work.. My sister, years back, made some really nice ceremonial clothing for fancy dancers of our tribe. You have to cut off the sharp end, and then use them like liquid silver (tiny silver tubes used in jewelry making). The quills can be died and sewn into beautiful designs. Here are some examples:
https://www.sdpb.org/blogs/images-of-the-past/quillwork-a-uniquely-native-american-art/

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Canasta was great but has anyone tried Hand & Foot. Based on the same principle with a few adjustments due to the fact it is played with 6 decks! A game we played for hours, the other girls still do but since I moved to the country - not much.

Pheasant, just had to watch out for the pellets. Did I mention the time, hunting with my father and one of my brothers, walking slowly in line, pheasant rose, a shot rang out and simultaneously 3 voices chimed "Got It!" :ohmy:
Mom made sure we three had to eat that one and she cooked the others separately. :LOL:

Your love for wild game is palpable and inspiring! It's amazing how you've explored such a wide variety of flavors, from ruffed grouse to mule deer.

For me, there's something special about the earthy, gamey notes that set it apart from more conventional meats. Duck and rabbit are personal favorites of mine as well, offering a depth of flavor that's hard to beat.

May I ask. Where do you find Mutton? I have looked for it for years. They grow sheep near me, but they only seem to sell the little ones. Eric. Austin Tx.

Back
Top Bottom