What kind of cookbooks do you enjoy reading?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Way back, I checked out how to boil water and other essentials with the help from my mom's 1960's Betty Crocker giant cook book... thick book with tabs. :dew: The old heavy duty binder folder cook book.

Last edited:
My wife (and tangentially I) learned to cook from the Fanny Farmer cookbook. The covers are gone, the binding split into 2 sections, and a few of the first and last recipes are gone, but she still uses it as her go to reference for just about everything.

My wife (and tangentially I) learned to cook from the Fanny Farmer cookbook. The covers are gone, the binding split into 2 sections, and a few of the first and last recipes are gone, but she still uses it as her go to reference for just about everything.

I can understand her reluctance to give up her favorite cookbook. My cookbook that is falling apart has print I can read easily. And the recipes are printed in a manner I like. List the dry ingredients first and then any liquids. Come Christmas, I take all the dry ingredients for the wreath cake and place them in a zippy bag. Since I make more than one cake, I place the ingredients for each cake in a separate zippy bag. Makes life so much easier.

Right now ATK is selling their book that has every recipe they have printed since day one. It is only $20. It is half price. I so want that book even for just the reading. I hope it will still be available at the end of the month when my SS check comes. I mentioned this to my kids, and all I got was not what I wanted to hear. I will just buy it myself for my birthday. Happy Birthday to me!

Right now ATK is selling their book that has every recipe they have printed since day one. It is only $20. It is half price. I so want that book even for just the reading. I hope it will still be available at the end of the month when my SS check comes. I mentioned this to my kids, and all I got was not what I wanted to hear. I will just buy it myself for my birthday. Happy Birthday to me!

You may want to rethink wanting that book Addie. I ordered it. The book was so big and heavy I'm not exaggerating when I say it weighed as much as my biggest cast iron skillet. Good luck holding it on your lap to read. The pages don't lay flat when opened, and the print is very small to allow for so many recipes. It made a good heavy door stop till I gave it away.

Last edited:
You may want to rethink wanting that book Addie. I ordered it. The book was so big and heavy I'm not exaggerating when I say it weighed as much as my biggest cast iron skillet. Good luck holding it on your lap to read. The pages don't lay flat when opened, and the print is very small to allow for so many recipes. It made a good heavy door stop till I gave it away.

Thanks KL for the information. You saved me $20.

Due to all the illnesses this past year, I have no strength. Am concentrating on building up my strength and muscle mass in PT each week. I am now up to 82 lbs. from 69 lbs. Sounds like the book weighs more than me. I will pass on that birthday present. Instead I will be happy with what my daughter is getting for me. She is sending for the DNA Ancestry Kit for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom