What makes you a good cook in the eyes of others?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think people think I'm a good cook because I try things that are different. Not necessarily hard, though some of them have been, just different. People call me all tlhe time about recipes. Want to know whether I have a certain one or if they have a question about a step.

Also, the #1 reason is probably because I used to cook in a very upscale restaurant here. I'm not sure how I got that job but I did and I learned a LOT!

It also helps to not be afraid of anything different. A friend complained because a soup she made was really, really hard. I just rolled my eyes and she laughed because the "hard" to her was chopping onions, carrots, zucchini, and other veggies. She had never made a soup from scratch like that before.

And if you feed them something different, well, you've got them bowing at your feet! LOL

My friends always seem to look forward to dinner at my house and are always very complimentary about anything I serve them. They know that I put a lot of thought into what they might like, I don't give them something they can't have (allergies) and I present the food in as attractive a manner as I can, on a pretty table. I don't spend a lot of money, usually, but no one ever turns down and invitation to my home.

When my kids are here for a meal they really pig-out and then they want to take any leftovers home with them for a later snack. :D

If Mom or one of my Aunts calls me up and ask for my recipe .... I know I did something right.

As for my kids ... heck ... they will eat anything I cook. But, if one of my grand kids likes it ... that's better than Mom liking it!

I put my heart into my cooking and it is something I really am passionate about. Another is geneaology. My daughter tells everyone I am an awesome cook. I take care in preparation of food and present it well. She says everything tastes wonderful.

I think that it is because I have a passion for cooking for others and they know it. Also, I don't settle for mediocre food or take the easy way out when cooking. For example, when I take a dish to a potluck I want to be proud of my dish and want others to enjoy it. Most times I will bring two dishes to just increase the variety of foods available. Some people take the easy way out and bring a store bought dish. I cannot do that. I realize that some people may not have the time I do or the cooking skills that I do and that is OK. I really like to make appetizers. For the Christmas party at work I will make 2-3 appetizers depending on the complexity of the recipes. But the most of all cooking for others just makes me happy. :D

SierraCook said:
But the most of all cooking for others just makes me happy. :D

This says it for me. If I rated myself as a cook, I wouldn't say I'm "a good cook"; I have too much yet to learn. I can say with accuracy that I'm an above-average cook. I think a major ingredient in well-prepared food is attention. Invariably if I throw something together, that's just how it tastes. :( When I prepare the meal with attention and focus and care, it shows in the final product -- even if my guests aren't consciously aware of it.

Most people that I cook for depart my table happy and well-fed. Something occurred to me recently ... I tend to forget to put salt and pepper on the table. To my memory, no one I ever cooked for has asked for salt or pepper. I guess that means I'm doing something right.

Of course, if anyone asked for ketchup, I would have to kill them. :twisted:

Something else. Often in my life I'll be invited to someone's house for dinner, and the invitation will be accompanied by a shy stumbling sort of utterance like, "Of course, you'll probably be disappointed, I can't cook anything like as good as YOU can ..." Or I will hear of friends having friends over for dinner and I won't be invited, and I'll discover that it was because they were embarrassed to cook for me. Which is sad, cuz it misses the point of a good get-together. I try to explain that it's ME who's missing out!

But as SierraCook said, it's all about making your guests happy. The famous detective Nero Wolfe once said, "A guest is a jewel on the cushion of hospitality." Isn't that neat? I'll make a salad dressing or a dessert that a little bird told me my guest is fond of, and it makes my day to see his/her eyes light up in delighted surprise when it comes to table.

That's entertainment!

Cats

I am a good cook when everyone eats what I fix and then realize they could do just as well but the effort isn't there. Food always tastes better when someone else has to prepare it. Kind of surprise when you sit down to eat. I just don't understand why they will sit and eat bag of chips or something else like ug! frozen pizza. I am thankful I have the incentive to keep going and put something together. That is why I like this site so well. People are always discussing recipes and piques my interest so I don't wind up always fixing something we had day before.

I think there are two things.

Firstly, as was mentioned before in this thread, you have to have a passion for it.

Secondly, you just have it or you don't. Just like anything else be it music, art, writing or so on. Training and practice will only take you so far and beyond that you need talent.

I have a Spanish friend. She's the best damn cook in the world! Everything she touches turns out just wonderful.

As for me, I'm not sure that i'm a great cook. I have the passion by the bucket full but the talent? hmmmm, the jury is out on that one. :)

For the person who dosent like to throw away food...
When I met my now MIL 4 years ago, I told my now wife that I dont like chicken and that I cant take really creamy foods and I dont like greens or vege's or fruit for the most part. So I guess she made some suggestions for her mom to cook and it was really sweet that she got my favorite brand of Vanilla Wafers and then we found that I liked her rolls and her Mac and Cheese and a whole lot of other stuff. And because of the fore knowledge she wasnt offend when I put the mac and cheese back in the oven so that It could get crispy. My point being we, my wife ,me and my MIL got some understanding and we are happy with each other. The other thought is my mom is not a good cook and she used to get it crunchy as did the little ole ladies at church so I like it like that. My
MIL's has better flavour than any one I know and when it's just the right bit of crispy... I can eat a whole dish of it.
Anyway the good cook thing...
I think my wife is a good cook because I can go into a grocercy store blind folded and knock something off the shelf into my basket and bring it home and she can make a great tasting meal out of it.
Well that and that she can go out to a resturant and eat something and in less than 3 tries she can duplicate it and that all the friends we have over, even those of other cultures, she will cook something from their culture and get it right.

My MIL has the other problem. She has to become friends with people and go to their house to eat first. Other wise she wont get invited to their house to eat. Her father was a chef.

Back
Top Bottom