What rice cooker to buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny1999

Senior Cook
not having paid attention to these products for decades, now I need a new rice cooker because the old one (used for decades) is damaged, seems like there are just too many choices in the market, IH or what? something like that... What rice cooker would you recommend for the best value and durability?

I recently bought an Aroma Housewares Digital Cool-Touch (2-8 cups) for under $30. The control panel is easy to use and understand and it makes perfect rice every time. I love it!

(I'd post a link here to the actual rice cooker, but I don't know if we're allowed to link to other sites, so just do a search on Aroma Housewares Digital Cool-Touch rice cooker and it should pop up :))

Aroma is a good brand. After all, it's endorsed by Martin Yan!

images

I recently bought an Aroma Housewares Digital Cool-Touch (2-8 cups) for under $30. The control panel is easy to use and understand and it makes perfect rice every time. I love it!

(I'd post a link here to the actual rice cooker, but I don't know if we're allowed to link to other sites, so just do a search on Aroma Housewares Digital Cool-Touch rice cooker and it should pop up :))

Linda, is this the model that you got?
https://www.aroma-housewares.com/kitchen/appliances/ARC-914SBD.html

I'm curious as to how to clean the lid.
I wouldn't mind a new rice cooker too.
I have an Aroma cheap-o from Walmart, I think it was
something like $17, very basic and it has the hole in the
lid that spits out rice gunk all over the counter :ermm::ohmy::(

Last edited:
Before I got my IP, I had an Aroma rice cooker, that I never had a problem with.
It was a little more expensive than some of the cheap models, even of Aroma, as it would keep the rice warm for up to 12 hours, though I never left it for that long. Nothing complex about it - just 3 settings - white rice, brown, and "less than 1 cup", which some won't do. It's still working, in a friend's kitchen - has to be over 20 years old!

Linda, is this the model that you got?
https://www.aroma-housewares.com/kitchen/appliances/ARC-914SBD.html

I'm curious as to how to clean the lid.
I wouldn't mind a new rice cooker too.
I have an Aroma cheap-o from Walmart, I think it was
something like $17, very basic and it has the hole in the
lid that spits out rice gunk all over the counter :ermm::ohmy::(

Yep, that's the one. Mine was $29.99 on Amazon.

This one doesn't have the hole in the lid. I know exactly what you're talking about because I also have the small Aroma cooker with the hole that spits the rice gunk. It was also scorching and overcooking my rice, despite using exact measurements, so I decided to get something a little nicer. With this new one, I always get perfectly cooked rice.

The lid snaps down, it's easy to clean and there are no holes :)

conclusion, plain cheap single-function rice cooker is the best choice??

Depends on the features you need (some people prefer the big fancy cookers with 5,000 different functions) but, in my opinion, yes, I think the smaller, cheaper ones are perfect for the average person.

If you clicked on the link Kaneohegirlinaz posted, that's the exact cooker that I have and it hasn't let me down yet.

I'll go against the general consensus here and suggest this-https://www.amazon.com/Aroma-Housewares-ARC-6106-Professional-MultiCooker/dp/B01LXEZJQH/ref=pd_lpo_79_t_1/144-9680128-6186835?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01LXEZJQH&pd_rd_r=15da1bdd-39ee-45e3-84e7-05f718968f17&pd_rd_w=EtnNw&pd_rd_wg=Y1Pjj&pf_rd_p=a0d6e967-6561-454c-84f8-2ce2c92b79a6&pf_rd_r=WW54PJY3GQ94MC3ASR3B&psc=1&refRID=WW54PJY3GQ94MC3ASR3B

Not only will it make different types of rice, but it also makes great bread pudding, turkey dressing, rice pudding, and even cakes, and tarts.

It's also great for stews, and soups. It does everything an IP will do, except pressure cook.

It's more versatile than a slow cooker. It is pricey though:ermm:. That's why it's on my wish list. This - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00007J5U7/?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=AwEAAAAAAAAAAc0a is the rice cooker I own.
it does a really great job at cooking rice, and has given me no issues.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom