What side dishes to serve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We are having a little cookout this weekend and are serving our homemade hot italian sausages with homemade rolls, sauce, green peppers, onions, mushrooms. Do you have some easy, kid friendly, ideas for side dishes to go along with it?

German Pasta Salad, its easy to make and very tasty..

Cook Pasta and mix with mayonnaise.
Add cubed pickles, a little pickle juice, cubed baloney and peas and corn :-o from a can.

Italian style Pasta Salad:

Pasta of your choice.
Cubes of cheese.
Black Olives.
Onions.
Pepperoni.
Bell Peppers. Your choice of colors.
Cubed Zucchini and Yellow Squash.
Any other raw veggies you have on hand and suits your fancy.
Lightly dressed with Italian Salad Dressing.:chef:

Oh YUM! How about more of the same on the side? If you want to add some kid friendly sides, I would go with watermelon, corn on the cob, and veggie sticks with dip. I thinks sliced tomatoes with fresh mozz and basil would be popular with some kids

Last edited:
Spaghetti with marinara sauce
Pasta Salad
French Fries
Coleslaw
Green salad with Italian dressing or vinaigrette

You could also make a couscous salad, kids usually love couscous :) or sweet picled baby beetroot salad. I cook up some beetroot till tender, then bring balsamic vinegar and maple syrup (as sweet as you prefer) to a simmer then poor over the beets and refrigerate till needed.

screw salad. kids like it, especially the "fun" rotini pasta, it will keep just fine in hot weather, it's real easy to make (though it does need some settling time) but most importantly, it's downright delicious!

Couscous with chopped mixed pepper and olive oil!
Coleslaw's great too. Could always do home spiced potatoe wedges and a sour cream dip.

Those sausages sound amazingly tasty - have fun at the cookout!

Tabouli (bulgar salad w/ cukes and mint)

Skewered and grilled pineapple

Grilled Zucchini (quartered lengthwise) serve with ranch dipping sauce

waldorf salad (celery, apples, raisins, nuts and mayo)

Carrot and raisin "slaw" (shredded carrots, raisins and mayo) Make sure to make ahead!

I'd go with pasta salad, potato salad, and cole slaw. Veggie tray. I'd skip the French Fries--maybe do some zucchini fries, but not French fries.

IMHO old fashioned baked beans go great with sausages of any kind and they always go over well.

If you're going to baked beans, you might want to cook them in a crockpot (and put it on a screen porch or in the garage) since they take so long to cook. I seem to recall a number of crockpot baked beans recipes on DC. Unless you live somewhere where it is blessedly cool at this time of year. Baked beans are off my menu until the fall--I like to do them in the oven.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom