What smart kitchen appliances would you like to have & why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome to DC. This is a fun place. Full of info and laughs.

For me, it is not an appliance, but a person to do my shopping and put the groceries away for me. I hate grocery shopping. And wrapping the meats for the freezer comes in second. I have no room in my studio apartment size kitchen for any more appliances. :angel:

I love technology, but prefer my appliances to be fairly dumb. I depend on them to do their basic functions and the less that can go wrong the better. I do like the auto dry sensor on my dryer, and the dirt sensor on my dishwasher. I don't need to run my appliances with my phone, saw a washing machine into Lowes the other day that you can control with your phone...

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

I go with bakechef on this. I would prefer that I'm the brain behind the appliance. I'm not really a control freak, but in this case I want to be able to adjust on the fly when necessary. Giving up too much control leads to things like Swanson's TV dinners. :(

Kitchen appliances DO NOT need to be smart. I'm the smart one in the kitchen. Appliances need to perform basic functions based on my input.

I love technology, but prefer my appliances to be fairly dumb. I depend on them to do their basic functions and the less that can go wrong the better. I do like the auto dry sensor on my dryer, and the dirt sensor on my dishwasher. I don't need to run my appliances with my phone, saw a washing machine into Lowes the other day that you can control with your phone...

Same here, bakechef. I'm seeing commercials lately about a washing machine that has a built in hand washing sink in it. Seriously? Just one more thing to break and possibly mess up the main function of the washer. I sure don't want or need anything that can be controlled by my phone.

I sometimes think it would be nice to have one of those Breville all purpose blenders/food processors - the one with the whisk, immersion stick and all...but in all reality I would probably only use it a couple of times a year....

Last edited:

Only in America do you need all of that technology to spin a dial or press a button! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Same here, bakechef. I'm seeing commercials lately about a washing machine that has a built in hand washing sink in it. Seriously? Just one more thing to break and possibly mess up the main function of the washer. I sure don't want or need anything that can be controlled by my phone.

I sometimes think it would be nice to have one of those Breville all purpose blenders/food processors - the one with the whisk, immersion stick and all...but in all reality I would probably only use it a couple of times a year....

I saw the commercial for that washing machine. I was also wondering how useful that would actually be. I'd rather save my money and use the sink, I have plenty of them in my house.

My mom had a really fancy top load washer that she bought 3-4 years ago. The washer had no center spindle, and it looked like it would hold a lot. Well you had to arrange the clothes around the edge for them to wash properly, so there was no extra capacity. She also hated it because it would always leave her clothes smelling "off". My boss has the same washing machine with the same issue and has to use one of those scent products so her clothes don't smell sour. Neither she or my mom has found a way to prevent it. My mom just built a house and bought a very basic washer and dryer set, with knobs and no special gadgets, she loves going back to basics.

The only smart appliance would be a coffee grinder/french press machine that could be synced to my alarm clock so that when it goes off, the coffee starts. Other than that, not really.

Omg !! This post is bang on for what I was looking for to share my experience with a new product, I just purchased. I always wanted a utensil that helped me cook smart. I am an extremely lazy person who is awful at cooking. I wanted to get rid of all my measuring cups and so I got a SmartyPans. I am super excited about it and can't wait to start using it !! :D

I'm with many others on this subject. What the manufacturers tout as being "smart" really amounts to more processes/systems to malfunction in my humble opinion. We don't even own a "smart" phone.

Why in the world would one wish to do laundry via their phone? All I can picture is a tub of laundry running over and over and over and flooding all our beautiful hardwood flooring. What a mess!

I've always made it a practice, mostly because of the risk of fire, to make cure all appliances are OFF when I leave the house.

As for any "smart" appliances, they don't interest me at all. I'm not anti-technology, but some needs don't really exist. It's just that manufacturers "manufacture" them to assist in enhancing their bottom line.

Just me. Now I'll get off my soapbox.

Omg !! This post is bang on for what I was looking for to share my experience with a new product, I just purchased. I always wanted a utensil that helped me cook smart. I am an extremely lazy person who is awful at cooking. I wanted to get rid of all my measuring cups and so I got a SmartyPans. I am super excited about it and can't wait to start using it !! :D
Are you talking about https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/smartypans#/story? That looks like a cool toy, but I think it's probably a good idea to use a measuring cup with this gadget.

Hmm, they didn't get more than 2% funding through Indiegogo before the campaign ended. I wonder if they got funding somewhere else.

I prefer dumb appliances (I don't like things smarter than me! - HaHa!) but for my kitchen, if something comes in, something else has to go out! The cabinets are full!

This doesn't make much sense to me. How are you going to prepare two cups of this and one cup of that if you don't know how much of an item constitutes a cup? Will you chop a little X and put it in the pan, then chop a little more and a little more till you have the desired amount? This will take a long time.

I saw what looks like a spring roll in the recipe list. Those are usually raw, not cooked (except for proteins like shrimp and chicken) and they're made on the counter or cutting board, not in a pan. How will this pan help you make those?

There's a lot more to cooking than just skillet dinners.

Last edited:

Sorry but that "Smarty Pan" looks like a recipe for disaster for a begginer cook.

I also prefer dumb appliances. All smart appliances should have a dumb overide.
YES! Cars, too. I hate when an appliance goes off on its own as programmed and I have no option of overriding it because it is being stupid.

I saw the commercial for that washing machine. I was also wondering how useful that would actually be. I'd rather save my money and use the sink, I have plenty of them in my house...
Although I am neither endorsing nor supporting this idea, I CAN see how it might appeal to some shoppers. When we moved from OH, where each time we built a house a utility tub was part of the washing area, here in MA that wasn't the norm. In fact, the builders who offered a separate laundry room (rather than installing hook-ups for the appliances in the half-bath) did not have any tub in the laundry area.

Being accustomed to a utility tub right by the washer, we added one. That danged $60 tub ended up costing $600 by the time the builder got done with crunching numbers! :ohmy: Still, it went in. Very handy for the laundry that needs a wee bit of hands-on pre-washing before tossing into the machine.

YES! Cars, too. I hate when an appliance goes off on its own as programmed and I have no option of overriding it because it is being stupid.

Although I am neither endorsing nor supporting this idea, I CAN see how it might appeal to some shoppers. When we moved from OH, where each time we built a house a utility tub was part of the washing area, here in MA that wasn't the norm. In fact, the builders who offered a separate laundry room (rather than installing hook-ups for the appliances in the half-bath) did not have any tub in the laundry area.

Being accustomed to a utility tub right by the washer, we added one. That danged $60 tub ended up costing $600 by the time the builder got done with crunching numbers! :ohmy: Still, it went in. Very handy for the laundry that needs a wee bit of hands-on pre-washing before tossing into the machine.
Also handy for items that one hand washes. I hate hanging it to dry in the bathroom and I don't want to carry it wet to the basement where my washer and dryer and drying rack are. Sometimes, it can be handy to hand wash something and put it in the dryer. I have seriously considered having a laundry sink installed. I don't even have a way to get water in my basement without unhooking the washer. :ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom