What to do when at a loss for entertaining ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBQ Fish

Senior Cook
Ok ya'll, i was just told this Sunday my wife's grandma, grandpa, aunts, and uncles had pretty much invited themselves over, which i'm fine with because that just means they want/need to see everybody together and make sure were all ok.:)

Here's the thing though.....last time i did Italian (which they are ALL Italian and razzed me for being a Polock that can cook 'their' food:LOL: ) and the time's before i did Polish, Irish, Russian, Greek, Thai, Japanese, Caribbean, and Southern food, but i just don't know what to do now (had a busy & sick week). :(

Things they DON'T like though is curry (i wanted to make an Indian spread) as well as a lot of Mid-Eastern foods which are the two other styles i'm fluent in.:ermm:

Any suggestions?

How about an old fashioned counry like dinner... roasted or fried chicken, mashed potaotes, gravy, a good green salad, warm fresh bread and an apple pie with home made vanilla ice cream for dessert? Not fancy just "feel good" food.

French? Beef Burgandy Coq Au Vin are both easy to make and good.

Or, like pds suggests, what about a simple roast chicken?

I agree on the Mexican or down-home country food!! You could set up a make your own tostada or taco bar; make some enchiladas (to make it easy, an enchilada casserole takes less time to make) and serve Spanish rice and refritos. On the country side, there aren't many that do not like fried chicken!!

That's perfect!!!!!!

I will go with a Mexican 'and' a Southern/southwestern Bobby Flay esque style. Then go with a french style crepe for dessert!:chef:

It's great to come here when your feeling a little frazzled and get excellent help!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

they invite themselves over because you CAN and DO cook for them and they LIKE your cooking! have fun

Robo410 said:
they invite themselves over because you CAN and DO cook for them and they LIKE your cooking! have fun

I do know that BUT........When you get about 20 Italian women together and YOU are the only Polish guy there (and Is the one that is cooking), you have to crack open the wine out early to soften the blow!:ROFLMAO: They 'pleasantly' razz me all day, and no matter what is served, i get kissed, pinched, or smacked because they like it and i don't give up my secrets of cooking!:mrgreen: :chef:

Pannini sandwich bar. Get all the bread, meats, cheeses, etc into a buffet style bar and have them put what they want on their sandwich. Then fire up the grill and wash/cover a brick. If you can't fit all the sandwhiches in one pass, put the ones you've arleady done in the oven to keep warm.

I love doing any sort of "bar" at home. My son loves my Saturday/Sunday only oatmeal bar. He special requests an oatmeal bar, "you know, not the ones in a wrapper" is how he states it. :LOL:

Hi BBQ Fish, how about Cuban?

Picadillo (no one does not like picadillo but it must have olives and raisins), black beans and rice (moros y crisitanos), ropa vieja (stringed beef), shrimp in tomato sauce, the choices are many. Just Google Cuban recipes. And you can always end with flan or bread pudding. And of course coffee. Most of the dishes are not complicated and great for a get together.

Htc: I think if i did something as simple as a pannini bar i'd be in for a world of derision because to them, that's spring summer foods (and one of the Aunts already did it in July).:(

Auntdot: Sorry to say most really care for the Cuban style and the relatives that do are very selective.:ermm:

You've received too many good ideas for me to reply but I have learned lots! Good luck! How wonderful you're so popular with your family!

Robo410 said:
when you do your stuffed cabbage, let me know!

LOL! My Italian neighbor is awesome at cooking Polish food....But that's one thing he can't figure out (plus is mad because i won't give him my secrets)!:ROFLMAO:

Huge Success! :)

And please excuse the spelling because i'm not to fluent on spanish.:mrgreen:

Appetizer:
Fried cheese
Queso dip for vegies
Salsa ....TOO hot (just the way i like it) and mild
Jalapeno and refried bean dip

Main:
Sangria

Tossed salad with seasoned baked tortilla chunks

Carne Asada
Mexican pizza
Chicken Flautas
Calabasita.....(that's what i was told, but it's a Mexican squash and zucchini)

Dessert:
They brought it!:mrgreen:

It turned out great, all were very happy and full...plus took all left-overs.

Thank you all for the ideas and help!!!!!!! And here is a few:kiss: for ya'll because lord knows i got my fair share yesterday!:)

Back
Top Bottom