What to do with Chinese 5 Spice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linda0818

Head Chef
Probably 5 years or more ago, I purchased Chinese 5 Spice. And, to this day, it sits in my spice cabinet untouched. I've never known what to do with it. I assume it's used in Chinese cooking, but I really don't cook Chinese food at home all that often. When it comes to Chinese food, I'd rather get it from a restaurant because it just never tastes the same when you make it at home (although I have an awesome recipe for Baked Sweet & Sour Chicken, which I happen to be making for Sunday dinner this week).

So, with that, what is a good way to utilize Chinese 5 Spice? Is it for Chinese cooking only? Or do you have non-Asian recipes where this spice can work really well?

I like to add it to a marinade with soy sauce and garlic . It is good with chicken or pork..especially good with slices of pork belly, or side pork(whatever you call it)...a bit of vegetable rice and an egg roll and that's all she wrote..

I like to add it to a marinade with soy sauce and garlic . It is good with chicken or pork..especially good with slices of pork belly, or side pork(whatever you call it)...a bit of vegetable rice and an egg roll and that's all she wrote..

Oh, now that sounds good. I'd definitely try it on the pork. I have a nice pork loin that would be good for that.

Sounds like that would make a good dipping sauce for fried or steamed dumplings as well.

Thanks, I'm going to try it.

Linda, here's a recipe for a non-Asian dish that is extremely popular back home.

https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthede.../02/01/hawaiian-guava-chicken-and-fried-rice/

guava-chicken.jpg
(file food photo)

Really delicious, and I'm sure that you could find the other ingredients easier than I can here "in the middle of the desert" :LOL:

I make stir-fry a few times a month and I usually include Chinese Five-Spice Powder in the sauce mix.

I also use it to make quick pickles with cucumbers, vinegar, a bit of soy sauce, a little sugar and a sprinkle of Five-Spice.

And when I make chicken katsu (breaded, baked chicken fingers - that's how I make them anyway - with dipping sauce), I add a good sprinkle to the flour mixture.

I like the idea of using it in a marinade for pork, although I usually make a rub instead. Marinades don't penetrate very far into the meat.

I like the idea of using it in a marinade for pork, although I usually make a rub instead. Marinades don't penetrate very far into the meat.
That's why I particularly like it with pork belly..it can coat the slices rather well and when baked in the oven until crispy, it creates a nice coating..a bit of brown sugar or chinese cooking wine helps too

Oh, now that sounds good. I'd definitely try it on the pork. I have a nice pork loin that would be good for that.

Sounds like that would make a good dipping sauce for fried or steamed dumplings as well.

Thanks, I'm going to try it.

Linda since you mentioned you have a nice pork loin, this is my favorite way with an Asian pork loin. The marinade is really good although I prefer to use half the amount of 5 spice, because it's very strong in my opinion.

https://www.allrecipes.com/video/5459/pan-roasted-5-spice-pork-loin/

Linda since you mentioned you have a nice pork loin, this is my favorite way with an Asian pork loin. The marinade is really good although I prefer to use half the amount of 5 spice, because it's very strong in my opinion.

https://www.allrecipes.com/video/5459/pan-roasted-5-spice-pork-loin/
Cross-hatching is a great way to get more marinade flavor in the meat. It also creates a different surface for a glaze to form. Wish I'd thought of that [emoji38] Thanks for posting.

I know, doesn't it look wonderful? I'm saving that and Kay's recipe. I'm kind of excited that I'll finally be able to use the 5 Spice.
Because five spice usually has star anise and fennel seed in it, it works well with lamb and duck also. If it is 5 years old, you might find it is a bit stale. You can try waking it up by dry roasting it in a pan. A little usually goes a long way.

Linda, personally, I would take the loss and get rid of it. But if you don't or you buy fresh, here is a good recipe that is not Chinese.

Hoosier Chicken with Potato Chip Crust

1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tsp. pure chile powder
1 tsp. 5 spice powder
1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
1 tsp. coarsely ground pepper
Kosher salt
2 1/2 lbs. thin chicken cutlets
One 5 1/2 oz. bag plain, salted potato chips, finely crushed
3 TB. unsalted butter

1. Preheat the oven to 225. In a medium bowl, mix the mayonnaise with the chile powder, five spice powder, lemon zest, pepper and a pinch of salt. Add the chicken and turn to coat.
2. Spread the potato chips on a sheet of wax paper. Coat the chicken with the crumbs, pressing to help them adhere.
3. Melt 1 TB of the butter in a large skillet. When the foam subsides, add one-third of the chicken cutlets and cook over moderately high heat, turning once, until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven while you cook the remaining 2 batches of chicken.

Source: Food & Wine

I have a recipe I've been making for over 30 years, originally a recipe w/o the 5 spice, which I added it to for a variation. It is for spareribs, cut into bite-sized pieces, but I have made it with with cut up country style spareribs, boneless pork, and boneless chicken thighs - using only 1¼ lbs, when using boneless.

1,2,3,4,5 Spareribs

1½ lbs spareribs, chopped into about 1½" pieces
1 tb rice wine or dry sherry
2 tb dark soy sauce
3 tb white vinegar
4 tb sugar
5 tb water
1/2-1½ tsp 5 spice powder (depending on how old it is!)

A. Combine all ingredients in a 9-10 sauté pan, and mix to dissolve the sugar, and coat the meat. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, reduce to a simmer over med-low heat, cover, and cook 40 min., stirring a couple of times.

B. Remove lid, raise heat to medium high, and boil the sauce down until a glaze forms, then serve.

Slightly off topic, I checked out the recipe from Chef John that Kayelle shared. Then I checked out the recipe for banh mi. In that recipe he says there is a video for the bread for the sandwich. Has anyone found it?

Here's that video Taxi. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-KvT1l-5AI
While I'm not a baker, I've made Chef John's version of the Banh Mi sandwiches many, many times with bakery Mexican Bolillo rolls that are nearly identical.

I'm here to tell there's no better sandwich anywhere than Chef John's version of Banh Mi with his very special Pan-Roasted 5-Spice Pork Loin .

Last edited:
Linda, I've tossed cubes of butternut squash or whole carrots (if small; if they're fat I usually cut them in half, then cut the fatter end of the carrot in half long-ways) and a bit of oil, then roasted them in the oven. I bet it would be good with baked sweet potatoes too, but we don't normally eat those.

I also use a bit of it when making a chicken salad: cooked chicken chunks, almond slices or slivers, and green grapes.

Hope these ideas help.

Back
Top Bottom