What to do with ground beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshatdot

Senior Cook
besides burgers .. and I do not know how to make meat loaf.

I have a big bag of Basmati rice .. some baby carrots, celery .. prolly some other stuff.

I have not heard of any ground beef & rice dishes.

I have a big bag of Basmati rice .. some baby carrots, celery .. prolly some other stuff.

Stuffed peppers or pigs in the blanket (cabbage rolls, golumpki) comes to mind. Unless you mean you do not want to buy anything else.

I dont have peppers .. but that is a good idea! I havnt had those in a long while.

I just got back from the Grocery .. and I totally remembered I could make Spaghetti or Tacos. So I got some Ragu & veggies to add to it, and taco seasoning, large corn tortillas & Salsa.

For the peppers, I'll buy the stuff I need next time I need to goto the Grocery.

Ingredients

• 1 pound ground beef
  • 1/2 cup uncooked long grain white rice
  • 1 cup water
  • 6 green bell peppers
  • 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning

Last edited:
Mmm .. this looks good .. I should have Googled some stuff before asking here :chef:

Allrecipes.com and http://www.cooks.com/ have good stuff.

Ingredients

• 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 (16 ounce) can chili beans, with liquid
  • 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans with liquid
  • 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, with liquid
  • 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 (14.5 ounce) cans peeled and diced tomatoes
  • 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chile peppers
  • 1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning mix

Last edited:

A couple of things you might not think of immediately: brown some and freeze it cooked. You have a serious jump start on tacos, spaghetti sauces, and various recipes that call for browning the beef first. For the best results, IMHO, deglaze the browning pan with a little stock or water and freeze with the beef. If you freeze it flat in a ziplock. you can break off what you need for a sloppy joe, or a chili dog with no trouble.

Also, stick a few golf ball size pieces in the freezer (I wrap them in saran and put the collection in a ziplock. When you need emergency beef stock, saute a little trinity, add a can of commercial stock/broth and then the lump of hamburger. Simmer until the beef is cooked well, then strain. Remarkably better than you would get with just the can; almost as good as if you had started from scratch.

Here is another thread http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f48/recipes-for-ground-beef-urgent-69820.html

The meatloaf surprise picture is actually the reason I joined the forum. I wanted a dif. meatloaf recipe and tried molding it around a cauliflower and it was perfect (and easy)! I got a huge cauliflower so next time I will get a smaller one (only 2 people here) that way there aren't as many leftovers, but other than that I thought it was a cool meatloaf to make.

Google a recipe of Porcupine meatballs. They are a yummy retro dish.

The first main course I ever made was ground beef and rice. Hamburger rice ring.

Brown about 1.5 cups of raw rice in a cast iron skillet in a little oil or bacon grease. When its golden push it to the edges of the pan so it forms a ring. In the empty center of the pan, pour a little more oil and put your ground beef and onions in there to brown. Cook until no longer pink and the onions are translucent. Remove from heat. Take 4 cups of tomato juice and add some seasonings (oregano/basil, or a mexican flavor of cumin and chili work nicely) and then pour over the whole skillet full of yumminess. Place in the oven at 350 for about an hour. The rice will absorb the tomato juice and its a lovely cold weather meal.

I forgot to post .. but I put the GB in a bowl, sprinkled some McCormics Montreal Steak Seasoning on it, mixed/folded it all together. Pre heated my CI pan with lil bit of canola oil & browned the GB. I also added 3 or 4 cloves of garlic, diced. After it was all cooked, I drained the excess grease & tossed in some chopped onion. Then added some chopped peppers. Then poured in a jar of Ragu sauce. While that was simmering, I boiled some water & cooked about 8oz of the spiraly pasta. When done, I poured in about a quart of cold water .. then drained the pasta. Put it back in the pot & dumped the GB & sauce in with it.

Sorry no pics .. but it came out great! I might try the same thing with some chicken breasts.

If I'm following you, Josh, we here by the Great Lakes call that goulash. Others call is American chop suey. Good stuff for sure!

mmm i love rice and ground beef. usually i just make some rice in one pot. then in a pan brown the beef, add some onions a clove of garlic, brown the beef, add some corn and maybe a can of black beans or pinto, add a dash of hot sauce, garlic salt, pepper. When it's cooked either put some beef stuff on top of the rice or just mix it all together. so yummy. a fried egg on top also makes it yummier.

With ground beef I`ll often make Shepherd`s Pie. I always top mine with a bit of cheese, adds that bit of extra flavour ;)

Joshatdot said:

I love cooking meatloaf. It's one of our favorite meals in our family.
INGREDIENTS

2 lbs of ground beef
2 eggs
4 pieces of white bread
Ketchup
Worcestershire sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

In a casserole dish take ground beef and spread it around the casserole dish. Then you take the 4 slices of white bread and break apart into ground beef. Crack the 2 eggs onto the ground beef also. And pour in a little ketchup and some worcestershire sauce. Then mix with your hands, and make sure when finished
spread around casserole dish.

Put in oven and back for about 40 minutes. Make sure to pour grease off a couple of times while cooking.

When it's done... Pour ketchup on the top, as much as you like. I normally put enough to cover the top.

And your done. I normally serve mine with mashed potatoes, corn & okra. Makes a delicious meal my family loves!

Dirty Rice, just sub the GB for the chicken livers. May have to play with the seasoning a little and deal with fat removal, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the results.

Craig

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom