what to do with Ham?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GetMeTheBigKnife

Senior Cook
I have a ton of ham leftover and it was a little on the salty side...any ideas on what I can do with it - aside from a bean and potato mix. I thought of quiche, but it doesn't appeal. I am hoping for some ideas here, thanks

I had some salty ham leftover the other day, and made a scalloped potato/ham-type casserole. Into the roux, I mixed havarti cheese. It was pretty good.
The other ham leftover dish I make is my mom's ham & lima bean soup. It is made with brown sugar, so I love it, but the husband & kids don't. I eat it with a good slab of pumpernickel bread & butter.

My standard leftover parade is noodles/rice/soup/sandwich. I like salty ham so it's not a problem for me and I haven't done this, but have you ever tried soaking it in water? Milk might be a possibility also.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=ham+too+salty

jkath, is there anything you don't put cheese in? If you ever cut back on cheese, countless cows will have to go on unemployment. :LOL:

You can brown some ham and onion in a little butter. Then mix with a little water(1/2 cup) and cream of mushroom soup and add it to the mix. Add cheddar and a little sherry(1T.). Cook until cheese just melts and add to spaghetti.

You can slice the ham and put it on a bisquit with eggs, cheese, ext. for a quick breakfast.

Cook some pasta. Melt 1 t. margarine and add some onion. Then add mushrooms and ham. Cook. Add 2 T. flour and stir well. Gradually add 1/2 cup evaporated mild and bring to boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and add peas. Sauce will thicken a little. serve over pasta and add a little romano.

http://www.discusscooking.com/viewtopic.php?t=6973

Throw some into baked potato soup

Put some on a homemade pizza

I use mine up as a topping for this recipe.

Sam's Brandied Chicken

1 egg beaten
1/4 cup milk
4 boneless chicken breasts, halved and pounded flat
2 cups fine bread crumbs
1/4 tsp poultry seasoning
1/4 tsp seasoned pepper
1/4 tsp seasoned salt
3 - 4 cloves smashed garlic
4 tbsp butter
4 tbsp olive oil
3 - 4 slices diced ham
1 lb sliced fresh mushrooms
1/4 to 1/2 cup brandy
2 tbsp liquid beef OXO
1 cup whipping cream

Mix breadcrumbs with seasonings. Mix egg and milk. Dip cutlets in the egg mixture, then in the breadcrumbs. Saute some garlic in some of the butter and olive oil. Toss the garlic and saute the cutlets until golden brown. Turn off the heat under the cutlets. Pour brandy over chicken and ignite it. (This is where you need to be FAR from your cabinets!) After flames die down, remove the cutlets and place them in a casserole dish. Pour the OXO and cream into the frying pan and reduce the sauce a bit. (Feel free to add more OXO or cream to make the amount of sauce you want.) Pour over the chicken. Toss some butter, olive oil, garlic, the ham, and your mushrooms into your frying pan and saute a bit. Toss this on top of the chicken and bake in the oven for about 1/2 hour to an hour. Serve with pasta. Deeeeelicious.

Originally a Best of Bridge, Modified by Alix.

Last edited:
what about a pea soup? if it has a bone, cut away most of the meat, use the bone as the base for the soup, and slice the leftover meat into chunks and add to the soup near the end.

Assume you are talking about a cured, not fresh, ham here.

Try cooking some onions with oil in a frying pan until they are well caramelized.

Remove the onions.

Cook the ham until there is a brown crust on it.

Remove the ham.

Deglaze with Coke (or Pepsi, or another cola) and reduce. Do not use diet stuff here.

Add back the ham and onions until warm.

Serve with fried eggs and hash browns.

Unless the ham was very salty, I don't think the final dish will be.

Hope this helps.

I make ham salad with my leftovers.

Grind some celery and onion about 1/4 cup each (I use more celery than onion) and pickle relish (about 1/2 cup) in a food processor. To this add your chopped up ham (about 2 1/2 pounds) and hard boiled eggs - I always use 2. Just grind away - a fine texture really works well.

Mix together about 1/2 to 3/4 cup mayo with about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of Catalina Salad Dressing, a couple tablespoons Worcestershire sauce and fresh lemon juice (this will help reduce the saltiness of the ham but it also adds a nice flavor). Mix all together in a bowl or your processor. Adjust mayo, Catalina, pickle relish, celery, or onion and adjust. If it's a little too salty just add more plain mayo and lemon juice.

Many thanks to all - these ideas are great and I made some notes. I do have the bone waiting for soup. Its in the freezer until after the new year.

I was really stuck in the traditional bean or pea soup.

Now with our storm coming in and terrible riving weather, I will have plenty to keep me busy

kitchenelf said:
I make ham salad with my leftovers.

Grind some celery and onion about 1/4 cup each (I use more celery than onion) and pickle relish (about 1/2 cup) in a food processor. To this add your chopped up ham (about 2 1/2 pounds) and hard boiled eggs - I always use 2. Just grind away - a fine texture really works well.

Mix together about 1/2 to 3/4 cup mayo with about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of Catalina Salad Dressing, a couple tablespoons Worcestershire sauce and fresh lemon juice (this will help reduce the saltiness of the ham but it also adds a nice flavor). Mix all together in a bowl or your processor. Adjust mayo, Catalina, pickle relish, celery, or onion and adjust. If it's a little too salty just add more plain mayo and lemon juice.

That sounds very good.

Bang - it is good!! And of course to make it perfect you have to pile it on good ol' white bread - the kind that sticks to the roof of your mouth! LOL

Heat up a can of pineapple chunks mixed with 2 tablespoons of brown sugar till thickened.... add ham pieces and heat through. Serve with French Toast.

That's it! I'm making the ham salad. My friend just commented "remember when your Mom would make ham salad?"
...and then there was the recipe. Go figure

Good to be back here - I missed being away. I hope to pop in a lot during the holiday break.

...and it's good to see that big knife back here too!!!!! You really will like the ham salad. It is much better in the food processor versus chopped.

Otter said:
jkath, is there anything you don't put cheese in? If you ever cut back on cheese, countless cows will have to go on unemployment. :LOL:

I think I overachieve on cheese, due to my (obviously alien-abducted & then re-programmed) son, who believes cheese is about a half step up from eating fresh mud.

Cows.....milk....cheese.....steak.......burgers.......

vegans are wacko.

We used to eat these when I was a kid. They are great for dinner or breakfast. It is a good way to use up leftover ham.

Ham Patties

2 cups ground cooked ham
½ cup soft bread crumbs
¼ cup chopped green onion
1/3 cup milk
1 slightly beaten egg
Dash of pepper

Combine all ingredients and shape into 4 patties. Brown patties slowly in a small amount of oil. Serves 4.

Last edited:
A quarter to a half cup of minced ham makes and interesting addition to a hamburger, where you start with 1.5 lbs of regular ground beef, and mix well...to this end, the last bits and bites could be minced, frozen, and used over a 3-6 month period...

Lifter

This might sound very good but it's great.It's a good way to use a sm amount of left over ham chunks. Fry diced up ham in sm amount of butter. Boil up some egg noodles and drain and add to ham and add a little butter and toss. Eat plain or top with ketchup.It's good and easy to make.try it you'll like it.. :D

SierraCook said:
We used to eat these when I was a kid. They are great for dinner or breakfast. It is a good way to use up leftover ham.

Ham Patties

2 cups ground cooked ham
½ cup soft bread crumbs
¼ cup chopped green onion
1/3 cup milk
1 slightly beaten egg
Dash of pepper

Combine all ingredients and shape into 4 patties. Brown patties slowly in a small amount of oil. Serves 4.

yummy yummy yummy!

Back
Top Bottom