What To Do With Jerusalem Artichokes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Cook

Master Chef
Found some jerusalem artichokes in my lovely little local greengrocers shop. I have plenty of recipes, etc., and I think I know what I'm going to do with them but thought it would be interesting to know what you do with them.

This is what mine look like but they can be much more knobbly

They are nice made into a soup (chicken stock based) with cream added.

I guess you know about their flatulent effect! ;)

Love them but can't eat them as they give me unbearable gas and my partner uncontrollable diarrhea

But my favorite prep was roasted or soup

Sun chokes are not pretty--right up there with celeriac re: ugly vegetable.

That reference I posted, wherever there is a bowl of soup, mashed sun chokes, etc, are recipes attached to the pictures. Lots of ideas there for you to look at.

What do they taste like? :angel:

One of the Rockefeller brothers was CEO of ALL of the hotels on all of the Islands of Hawaii. He was living on the Big Island and was married with two boys. He had a mistress and took very good care of her. When his wife found out about a year later, she went into shock. She found out because he wanted to invest a very large amount of their joint monies into Sun Chokes. That created a very BIG, BIG argument. That is when he came out and told her everything. She come over to Oahu and stayed at the YWCA home. I was living there also. She was in shock. How could she have not seen the signs? We sat and talked for hours. He wanted a divorce, she didn't. She tried to do all the right things. Like join a group for women facing divorce. Then one day she went shopping. She tried on a dress, walk out of the dressing room, leaving her own clothes inside. Then she walked right out the door. She was arrested for shoplifting. The headlines were not kind. "Rockefeller Wife Arrested For Shoplifting." Word reached her husband and he came over to get her. The last I heard, the divorce was cancelled and he decided his marriage was more important than his mistress.

All this drama from an argument over Sun Chokes. They must be a powerful food. :angel:

I'm thinking of doing s/thing with the sun chokes and the petals of sunflowers...which are edible.
I knew marigolds (calendula) petals are edible and that sunflowers seeds are but had never heard that sunflower petals are. Interesting. If my sunflower seeds do well this summer I might look for recipes.

One of the Rockefeller brothers was CEO of ALL of the hotels on all of the Islands of Hawaii. He was living on the Big Island and was married with two boys. He had a mistress and took very good care of her. When his wife found out about a year later, she went into shock. She found out because he wanted to invest a very large amount of their joint monies into Sun Chokes. That created a very BIG, BIG argument. That is when he came out and told her everything. She come over to Oahu and stayed at the YWCA home. I was living there also. She was in shock. How could she have not seen the signs? We sat and talked for hours. He wanted a divorce, she didn't. She tried to do all the right things. Like join a group for women facing divorce. Then one day she went shopping. She tried on a dress, walk out of the dressing room, leaving her own clothes inside. Then she walked right out the door. She was arrested for shoplifting. The headlines were not kind. "Rockefeller Wife Arrested For Shoplifting." Word reached her husband and he came over to get her. The last I heard, the divorce was cancelled and he decided his marriage was more important than his mistress.

All this drama from an argument over Sun Chokes. They must be a powerful food. :angel:
I rather liked the story of the wife who found out about her husband's mistress and decided that she would let him and the mistress keep the house. Prior to leaving and in his absence she took a couple of packages of frozen prawns and packed them into the hollow curtain poles at the windows all over the house. It was a warm summer.

I rather liked the story of the wife who found out about her husband's mistress and decided that she would let him and the mistress keep the house. Prior to leaving and in his absence she took a couple of packages of frozen prawns and packed them into the hollow curtain poles at the windows all over the house. It was a warm summer.

I hope they were sunny windows! :angel:

I heard the author, Kathy Lette, said that she did this for revenge. It occurred after the married man she had an affair with ditched her, after he left his wife, and went off with someone else. She did this to the house they were about to live in. :(

Back
Top Bottom