What to do with kale?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
Any suggestions on what I can do with kale? I’ve done chorizo soup and stir fried it, but can’t come up with anything else to do with the last large bunch I have in my fridge. My hubby won’t touch the stuff so it’s all up to me!

This is one of my favorite things to do with it. It is called Kale with double garlic. I am writing this from memory so I may not have it exact, but I got the recipe from Mark Bittermans book How To Cook Everything (great book!!!).

1 bunch kale
chicken stock
a few cloves of garlic (some sliced and some minced)
crushed red pepper olive oil

Wash and chop the kale. Heat a little oil in a pan. Add minced garlic and crushed red pepper. Cook for a minute. Add Kale and mix to combine. Add chicken stock and cover. Cook until kale is tender. Mix in sliced garlic. Can be served hot or cold.

I never measure the chicken stock, but basically you are using it to steam the kale. I would start with 1/4 to 1/2 cup and if you need more than you can add it. For some reason sometimes the kale comes out pretty bitter and I have not figured out what this happens. I am not sure, but I am guessing it has to do with cooking times. When it is bitter I will add more stock and cook it a bit longer. There should be no liquid left in the pan when you are done.

Because I am lazy I sometimes just use the minced garlic and don't bother with the sliced garlic, but the "double garlic" really works well when I go that route.

I know this might sound strange but...
Kale Crunch
Preheat oven to 350
Line a baking sheet w/foil then brush or spray w/oil
Wash and shake dry a big bunch of kale
Break off and discard stems
Cut across the leaves to make wide shreds.
Place on baking pan and bake 15 - 20 min, stirring once or twice.
When the kale bakes it becomes bright green and very crisp..Once the crunch is out of the oven you can salt it or sprinkle w/parasean cheese
Kale crunch is best day made but will keep a dsy or 2 in a tin at rm temp..
I got this reciope from the NY Times many yrs ago and your request reminded me of it...
Its quite good...Hubby may even like it and not know he just ate Kale!! :roll:

Colcannon is a traditional Irish dish made with kale and mashed potatoes. Sorry no exact ingredient list - this is an 'eyeball' dish!

You'll need -
Cooked cleaned, trimmed kale (in salted water til tender.)
Mashed potatoes - season as you like - roasted garlic is nice.

Heat oven to 350. Chop kale into about 1 inch pieces. Mix with the mashed taters. Place in a buttered shallow casserole dish, and dot with liberal amounts of butter. Bake for about 30 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom