What to do with small eggplants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Small eggplant; use them to club pesky squrrels.:ohmy::LOL:

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I have 7 stray cats that patrol the yard, so squirrels usually haven't been an issue. Raccoons, on the other hand, is a different story. Eat ing gold fish and frogs out of the pond, trampling my okra plants and taking a bath in my water chestnuts basin ( crushing all the plants).

wouldn't waste the eggplants on them, although we have an apple tree next to the house, and we keep aa bucket by the door of all the ones that drop early to use if necessary to chase the raccoons away.

Yeah, I know this is about 3 weeks late, but I only joined two days ago!
I´m an eggplant fanatic; I think it´s such a versatile vegetable. Yesterday I grilled a couple of large ones and used them to make a huge Moussaka. The dozen slices that are left over, I´m going to use to make eggplant "sandwiches" - with mozzarella inside - which will be breaded and fried. Then there´s Imam Bayeldi - stuffed with vegetables. If you like something Indian, my two current favourites are (a) stuffed with fresh coconut, palm sugar, green chiles, onion, sesame and tamarind and (b) baingan ka salaan - fried in strips then bathed in spicy sauce with onion, garlic, chiles,coconut and peanuts.

I have 7 stray cats that patrol the yard, so squirrels usually haven't been an issue. Raccoons, on the other hand, is a different story. Eat ing gold fish and frogs out of the pond, trampling my okra plants and taking a bath in my water chestnuts basin ( crushing all the plants).

wouldn't waste the eggplants on them, although we have an apple tree next to the house, and we keep aa bucket by the door of all the ones that drop early to use if necessary to chase the raccoons away.

multi-pump Crossman BB/pallet rifle, about 5 pumps, stings them, but no serious damage. A couple times getting stung, and hey look for easier pickings.

The racoons, and crows liked to remove the lid from my outside trash cans, and spread trash all over my yard. Pesky critters.

Yeah, I know this is about 3 weeks late, but I only joined two days ago!
I´m an eggplant fanatic; I think it´s such a versatile vegetable. Yesterday I grilled a couple of large ones and used them to make a huge Moussaka. The dozen slices that are left over, I´m going to use to make eggplant "sandwiches" - with mozzarella inside - which will be breaded and fried. Then there´s Imam Bayeldi - stuffed with vegetables. If you like something Indian, my two current favourites are (a) stuffed with fresh coconut, palm sugar, green chiles, onion, sesame and tamarind and (b) baingan ka salaan - fried in strips then bathed in spicy sauce with onion, garlic, chiles,coconut and peanuts.
I'd love to see your recipes for those Indian dishes! I have made an okra salan before - bhindi ka salan - and it was delicious. With that peanut and coconut flavor, it made me think of another favorite - Thai peanut sauce, made with coconut milk - but fused with the Indian spices. I don't know why I haven't made it with other main ingredients - only the okra.

I´d be happy to share the recipe for baingan ka salaan - is there anywhere specific I should post it ( new to the forums!) or can I just put it on this thread?

Do you know what the penalty is for animal cruelty?

Ahh, I wouldn't really club them with eggplant. I just don't care to have them stealing birdseed, chewing on my house, running through my attic, etc. Squirrels can be very destructive, and attract rats to an area when dropping bird seed to the ground. I use devices to keep them off of the bird feeders, at least as best as possible. I find that the only successful method so far is to hang the feeder far beyond there jumping reach, suspended by strong monofilament fishing line that has a thin coating of mineral oil, or Vaseline..

I'm just not a fan of either squirrels (except in stew), or eggplant. So the tongue-in-cheek remark struck my funny bone. I would never purposely hurt something. I even feel a sadness when I catch fish, though I eat them. My parents never felt that. Maybe it's my Native American heritage, or genetic memory. My parents were raised in a time when hunting was a way of providing necessary food for the fancily, especially in rural areas, They were raised in a different time, with different rules. Trespassing on someone's property could get you a backside full of rock salt when my parents were kids.

I´d be happy to share the recipe for baingan ka salaan - is there anywhere specific I should post it ( new to the forums!) or can I just put it on this thread?

This thread would be fine.
Looking forward to seeing it.

I would suggest putting it in this forum: International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery, so it doesn't get lost. I think it will be easier to find in the international cuisine forum.

But, please do put a link to the recipe here, in this thread.

Back
Top Bottom