What to do with tofu?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
beans are a good substitute for animal protein. Or any vegetable could replace meat protein in your diet....

TheAdviserMe - I'm sorry, but that's just not true. I'm not a vegetarian, but know for an absolute fact that beans alone are definitely not a good substitute for animal protein. Nor can any vegetable replace meat protein in your diet. Vegetables - beans included - are not a "complete protein" and must be combined specifically with other products - grains for instance - in specific combinations in order to make up the same protein compounds one would get from meat products. This is why so many folks who jump into vegetarianism without doing proper research/reading end up with health problems. It's not as simple as just subbing vegetables willy-nilly for meat.

TheAdviserMe - I'm sorry, but that's just not true. I'm not a vegetarian, but know for an absolute fact that beans alone are definitely not a good substitute for animal protein. Nor can any vegetable replace meat protein in your diet. Vegetables - beans included - are not a "complete protein" and must be combined specifically with other products - grains for instance - in specific combinations in order to make up the same protein compounds one would get from meat products. This is why so many folks who jump into vegetarianism without doing proper research/reading end up with health problems. It's not as simple as just subbing vegetables willy-nilly for meat.
Breezy, you're correct in saying that specific vegetables, legumes, etc don't offer complete protein, meaning they don't possess all the amino acids that our bodies need and can't manufacture. But the solution is quite simple.

What that means is you need to eat a variety of foods. I don't mean at every meal or even every day, I mean in general. Eat a variety of beans, grains, vegetables, etc and you WILL get the protein and the amino acids you need. Beans are a good substitute for animal protein, just not the substitute.

I don't eat animal protein at all. I have done my research and I see my doctor regularly. A vegetarian with a poor diet will have health problems just as an omnivore with a poor diet will have health problems.

It really comes down to knowing what you are eating. As has been mentioned, beans, quinoa and tofu are excellent, but they need to be combined with other foods for good nutrition.

I made some baked tofu the other day that was really good, especially chilled and added to salad. I marinated this one in lime, cumin and lemon juice.

Sweet Lime Tofu:

Try looking into living and raw foods. It uses many different things to create a meat texture, like almonds.
I actually have had dinner at raw foods restaurant. It was delicious! ...and I have a very Italian mother who can cook beyond belief.

Rose
yumeblush

I haven't read every entry on this thread, so if I'm repeating, forgive me. I'm not really fond of tofu, and the one time I truly loved it a neighbor of mine cut it into noodle-sized threads and put it in hot/sour soup.

Having had many friends and relatives over the years who either chose or for medical reasons HAD to eliminate entire food groups from their diets, I've learned that when you delete an entire section of that food pyramid from your diet, you need to do some research about what you are cutting out. Humans are built to be omnivores, able to get our nutrition from many food sources. From my observation, the more variety the better. So when you get rid of one complete food group, look up the nutritional content and supplement as needed.

A vegetarian with a poor diet will have health problems just as an omnivore with a poor diet will have health problems.

vyapti, very well said. And I am a big meat eater. And it also applies to other diets low carb, low fat, low this or that. All of them can be very good for you, but most people do them on advice from a friend who followed what a friend told them. I had someone tell me that a low carb diet was no carbs for two weeks. The Atkins book says not eating carbs is dangerous.

I had to reduce the meat due to dietary restrictions. I substiute beans, fish, chicken, all vegetable meals, pancakes, french toast, or clear soup with veggies.

Tofu, Spinach and Mushroom Salad
8oz Tofu mashed
2 bunches spinach cleaned and torn into bite size pieces
4oz fresh mushrooms thinly sliced
2 Tbsp. fresh herbs
Toss all together. Serve with a yogurt or a herb salad dressing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom