What type of knife is best for chopping nuts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchengoddess8

Sous Chef
I've been using my 8" chef's knife to chop nuts such as walnuts and brazil nuts but was wondering if there's a better knife for this purpose - something a little less cumbersome.

Any suggestions?

"Best" is kind of a nebulous concept, KG, because there are so many variables, including type of nut, quantity, and how fine you want them---not to mention your comfort level using any particular tool.

For small quantities I put the nuts in a plastic bag and use my meat mallet to break them up. If I need them chopped really fine, I use a rolling pin.

Otherwise I just use my chef's knife. Don't find it awkward at all.

For really large quantities I use the food processor.

If you chop nuts often, you might want to check one of those choppers with the hand-driven, rotating blades. They're cheap enough (about 20 bucks, as I recall), quick to clean, and work well for many chopping tasks.

Those are what I was talking about, Steve & PF.

I don't care for them much myself, cuz there's not much I can't do with my knives. On the other hand, Friend Wife loves them, and uses them for, among other things, nuts, onions, garlic, and even some fresh herbs.

I just cannot handle a knife for chopping finely any more. My arthritis is worse by the month. If I could still chop, I would be using a 6 inch chef's, the longest blade I could ever wield safely.

Typical celebrity chef marketing ploy, KF. That is not a mezzaluna.

A mezzaluna is a highly curved blade with a handle on each end. You rock it back and forth, over the food, to chop it. They come in both single and double-bladed versions.

If you get one, go for the double blade. A single bladed mezzaluna is even more awkward then your knife.

There is a learning curve involved, developling the feel for a mezzaluna. And, in general, you need a good-sized work surface. But once you become comfortable with one it's about the fastest manual way of chopping things.

HistoricFoodie said:
Typical celebrity chef marketing ploy, KF. That is not a mezzaluna.

A mezzaluna is a highly curved blade with a handle on each end. You rock it back and forth, over the food, to chop it. They come in both single and double-bladed versions.

If you get one, go for the double blade. A single bladed mezzaluna is even more awkward then your knife.

There is a learning curve involved, developling the feel for a mezzaluna. And, in general, you need a good-sized work surface. But once you become comfortable with one it's about the fastest manual way of chopping things.

Is there a particular brand that you like?

Only trouble with that style, JustPlainBill, is that you just about have to use it with a wooden bowl. They're not that effective on a flat cutting board.

My Mom used one for years, and I still have it (along with the bowl she used). For me it's too much trouble to dig out a wooden bowl, and then have to clean it as well.

KG, the thing to understand is that it's just a round knife. You can chop anything with it that can be chopped with any other knife. If you don't mind using a wooden bowl, it might be the best choice for you.

I like to chop nuts with an 8" chefs knife. I start slow and then rock. I can see the advantage of one of those choppers - it would keep pieces nuts from flying around. But, I'm lazy and a chefs knife takes next to no effort to wash.

Back
Top Bottom