what veggies don't you like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvs

Master Chef
me, i cannot take how bitter bell peppers are. blech. i can eat them in very limited amounts cooked, as for fajitas or pepper steak, but even then...
also, okra. that slime it emits is just too much for me. uckyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!
6.gif

Cooked spinach or any green leafy thing that gets slimy like okra; green peppers do not like me, but orange and yellow are great. Do nto like zucchini as it is so bland, merliton (chaoyte) because it needs too much work to make it taste good.

I hate okra! :evil: I made a huge batch of gumbo for my dad's birthday and at his request I added quite a bit of okra. I was gagging the entire time that I was cooking, couldn't get past the mucous-like slime. :x Don't care for beets but I'm okay with just about anything else! :D

I like pickled beets. My aunt makes raspberry jello, and puts jullienne picked beets and pineapple in it and makes a horseraddish-sourcream-mayo sauce for it that is devine. I will make a pickled beet lover out of you.

In my own opinion, zucchini is a weed...I know I have eaten it, and not complained to much, but it is something that grows better than a dandelion, and results in huge crops that we apparently cannot ship out to feed the Third World!

Okra is the (something not nice) brother of Zucchini...fortunately, we don't see great quantities of it in Canada, and when caused to add it to a recipe, can de-core it of the squishy insides, and limit the quantity by "simple sanity"...

Likewise we are not "inflicted" by the "popular growth" of Lima Beans here...and many of us have learned to like beets, either the top "greens" or bottom "bulbs", even if the latter tend to travel like "grease" through my particular "goose"...

Lifter

Well, all y'all okra haters are just gonna have to come to South Carolina and have us fix up a mess a fried okra - yew'll see, it's good!

Amen marmalady!! :LOL: I love okra, boiled, fried, pickled, you name it, I'll eat it!!

As far as what I hate, raw onions, raw celery, beets, bell peppers, olives(green & black), sour kraut, & sweet peas(I have to fix them for the rest of the family though).

marmalady said:
Well, all y'all okra haters are just gonna have to come to South Carolina and have us fix up a mess a fried okra - yew'll see, it's good!

Yep marmalady and crewsk.... okra is wonderful. Southern food lovers of the world -- UNITE!

Zucchinini is prolific, so is dandelion greens, but what wonderful foods they are....!

Lifter said:
Likewise we are not "inflicted" by the "popular growth" of Lima Beans here...and many of us have learned to like beets, either the top "greens" or bottom "bulbs", even if the latter tend to travel like "grease" through my particular "goose"...

Lifter

I forgot to mention lima beans I love them too, especially the bit white ones in soup with a ham bone, and the baby ones, MMMMM

What marvellous "constitutions" you will find, just crossing an invisible "boundary" known as a "border"!

Must laugh, over the "likes" and "can't stands" views!

Lifter

I like baby spinach, but I can't do the grownup kind. Endive; it looks wierd, it has a wierd mouth feel, and it tastes bad.

There are two vegetables that I want to like, and am trying: Mushrooms and green peppers. So many good-lookin recipes have them, you'd think they would taste a whole lot better than they do. Something about the texture of mushrooms that I can't abide, though I've gotten to where I can handle small amounts in a big pot of something. And I love prepping them. But I'll never like cooked whole green peppers.

And okra is horrible.

Cats

Catseye said:
I like baby spinach, but I can't do the grownup kind. Endive; it looks wierd, it has a wierd mouth feel, and it tastes bad.

There are two vegetables that I want to like, and am trying: Mushrooms and green peppers. So many good-lookin recipes have them, you'd think they would taste a whole lot better than they do. Something about the texture of mushrooms that I can't abide, though I've gotten to where I can handle small amounts in a big pot of something. And I love prepping them. But I'll never like cooked whole green peppers.

And okra is horrible.

Cats

I too cannot do green peppers, so I substitute either yellow or orange, raw or cooked they do not bother me. Just smelling the green ones is nausiating to me. Mushrooms I absolutely love.

marmalady said:
I love fried okra and hot pickled okra, neither of which are slimy. I hate collard greens and Swiss chard. Otherwise I pretty much love all vegetables (although some much more than others).

:) Barbara

The vegetable I don't care for is acorn squash. I shy away from squash that I have to peel first before preparing. Never fails I either slice my finger or have to take a break when I clean it. Getting the peeling off is such an effort. Any other vegetable seems simples. Oh, shredding cabbage is another one that I don't like. Not for the taste but preparation.

I love veggies!
Mushrooms are the only one I don't care for.

However (catseye, are you listening?) one of my first posts was regarding this distaste for mushrooms, and some brilliant person here (I remember it was a guy) said to substitute sliced tofu, sauteed in beef broth for mushrooms in recipes. I've passed this on to so many people!

I think artichokes are the most heavenly food in the veggie kingdom!

I think artichokes are the most heavenly food in the veggie kingdom!

Okay. How do you fix them? Everyone in store has told me to be careful of the choke? Can choke you? Is this right? I have never ate one and seem to be plentiful in the store.

In the Kitchen said:
The vegetable I don't care for is acorn squash. I shy away from squash that I have to peel first before preparing. Never fails I either slice my finger or have to take a break when I clean it. Getting the peeling off is such an effort. Any other vegetable seems simples. Oh, shredding cabbage is another one that I don't like. Not for the taste but preparation.

Why do you peel the squash, I just cut them in half, remove seeds and sprinkle cut side with fresh pepper, turn cut side down on oiled parchment paper and roast until desired doneness, then scoop out and continue preparation. I do not like shredding cabbage either, usually cut in wedges and steam or roast.

Back
Top Bottom