What was for lunch...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff G.

Head Chef
Today---Sushi from the grocery store. Pretty tasty spring rolls... Filling and for $5.... hard to beat..

lol, nothing quite so healthy :LOL:
See my last post under everyday pans :chef:

leftovers. grilled marinated chicken thighs, grilled onions and peppers, mashed spuds, and a diet coke.

I am having a Whistle Pig, and the first piece of a Marie Callender's cherry pie I picked up last night. Sale's still on until 31 Ocitber!

Vermicelli bean sprout noodles, sprouts, cucumber, thai peppers, napa cabbage, carrots, leek, all doused with tasty nuoc cham sauce, with some lemongrass garlic beef strips on top.
I call it a noodle bowl, and it is my current food obsession. Near perfect in flavor and mouth sensation when eating, and fun!
(My wife is glad I moved them to lunch; she was getting tired of variations on the theme, LOLOL)!

grilling fool, how do you make your nuoc cham? that sounds really good. i love thai noodle bowls.

Even though I work in a kitchen, I always bring breakfast and lunch from home. Today I had 2 oz deitz & watson turkey on diet rye with lettuce, tomato and cranberry mustard. I had a pear I picked a couple of weeks ago.

From here, I had all the vegetables jacked from the morrocan couscous with a dash of balsamic vinegar.

buckytom, this is the basic recipe I started with.
The amount of sugar seemed really high, so I used a little
more than half. But I also used light brown sugar since I didn't
have any caster sugar.
I got really lucky and found fresh tiny red peppers at the Saigon Market!
They are just hot enough to eat without crying, LOL!

Have to say that it is better after a few days in the fridge. There's a great
complex of flavors in it. Sweet, tangy, salty, bit of heat, touch of garlic...

NUOC CHAM DIPPING SAUCE
4.5 oz Palm or golden caster sugar
1 cup very hot but not boiling water
1/2 cup Vietnamese fish sauce (Nuoc Mam)
(becoming available in the Oriental section. Good stuff.)
1 TBSP White rice vinegar
1/4 cup Lime juice (About 1 med fresh lime)
2-5 Red or green chilies, finely chopped (Dry or fresh)
3-5 Large garlic, finely chopped (I like 5!)

Dissolve the sugar in the hot water, then add other ingredients
while the water is still hot.
Give them a good mixing up, then let the mixture cool. Refrigerate
after using. Refrigerate for up to 10 days.
(An empty Frank's Red hot sauce bottle is great!)

oh man that looks good. thank you.

i'm going to have it on some buckwheat noodles mixed with crisp sliced veggies soon!

Page's Restaurant
Home of the Whistle Pig
7001 Packard Rd
Niagara Falls, NY

Whistle Pig: Take a hot dog and slit it from end to end, but not all the way through. Fill the slit with real cheddar cheese. Wrap the hot dog with a bacon strip (two if it's a 1/4 pound dog), and secure with tooth picks. Broil or grill until cheese melts and bacon is crisp. Place in hot dog bun of appropriate size and dress with your favorite condiment(s).

ETA: The place is up for sale, if anyone is interested in purchasing a seasonal restaurant business.

Last edited:
warm french roll willed with thinly sliced pork,lettuce, mayo, a touch of butter and a few grapes..Yum
kadesma:)

I'm glad lunch threads didn't die when I left : D

I had a bowl of rice with some steamed vegetables for lunch. I've been inactive for too long and now I need to compensate ;o)

Back
Top Bottom