What water is best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I’ve gotten so many great responses to my initial question, and I thank you all! But I’m not concerned much with drinking water, we’ve got that issue solved (I drink tequila and Mark drinks vodka; we use distilled water for the ice, lol). What water is the best to use for cooking? Spring water? Distilled water? Purified water? Different types of water for different recipes? Am I just stuck on minutiae? The only thing that I’m sure of is to avoid chlorinated water when making bread or other fermented foods, as it impedes the growth of bacteria. But what about stocks and broths and stews? And in bread making, does the type of water matter, as long as it’s not chlorinated?

Sweet Moss, I just read that post, and I sound obsessed! Please, forgive me! And thanks again for all of your responses!

I don't think there is any water that's "best" for cooking. For the most part, water is water. Purified water and distilled water are essentially the same. If you look closely at the bottles, they are typically "enhanced" with minerals. That's because people evolved drinking rain water, river water, etc., and studies have shown that people generally don't like absolutely pure water.

Again, I use chlorinated tap water for my bread and I've had no problems. I don't think it matters what kind you use for regular cooking.

I don't think there is any water that's "best" for cooking. For the most part, water is water. Purified water and distilled water are essentially the same. If you look closely at the bottles, they are typically "enhanced" with minerals. That's because people evolved drinking rain water, river water, etc., and studies have shown that people generally don't like absolutely pure water.

Actually rain water is the softest, purest water in nature. It is nature's equivalent of distilled water. Until it is contaminated by contact with the ground or by dust in the air (minimal at most), it is quite pure. The taste of fresh rainwater is quite different from any sort of water on or in the ground.

Again, I use chlorinated tap water for my bread and I've had no problems. I don't think it matters what kind you use for regular cooking.

Same here. I've never had an issue with getting a good rise from the water I use. The age and viability of the yeast is usually linked to the quality of the rise.

Actually rain water is the softest, purest water in nature. It is nature's equivalent of distilled water. Until it is contaminated by contact with the ground or by dust in the air (minimal at most), it is quite pure. The taste of fresh rainwater is quite different from any sort of water on or in the ground.

Right, but it's unlikely that people way back in the past were able to collect and store rainwater such that it remained completely pure.

Interestingly, drinking too much pure water can be dangerous because it upsets the balance of electrolytes in the body.

https://manoa.hawaii.edu/exploringo...water/salty-sea/weird-science-distilled-water

We have well water and that's the water I use for almost everything done in the house. House water goes through the softener. Only the humming birds and orchids get non-softened water. That water comes straight from the well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom