What we ate on Wednesday (09/10/14)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Today I used up the other half of the packet of lean steak mince.

Made it into a savoury mince (with leeks, good stock cube, paprika and a little water from the cooked veg) with steamed new potatoes and diced cabbage.

People keep giving me tomatoes from their gardens. Just got home from work so going to do up an easy toasted tomato and cucumber sandwich with a big ice cold mug of......................milk....

dw gave me some boneless chicken thighs to season with my turkish rub to grill, but as soon as i went to skewer then i noticed a faint smell that they'd just gone bad.

the only other meat in the fridge was 93/7 ground turkey, so a quick improvisation i ended up making kofte kebabs and tsatsiki sauce.

2 eggs, a little chipotle seasoned panko breadcrumbs, dried parsley, and a pound and a third of ground turkey were mixed and formed into long cakes. then they were double skewered (turkey is very goopey) and well dusted in the rub.

while they were grilling, i made a quick tsatsiki sauce with non-fat yogurt, a load of minced garlic, some shredded cuke, and since i couldn't find the red wine vinegar i used a splash of raspberry balsamic vinegar.

the tsatsiki took on a kind of pukey beige colour, but it was delicious with the kebabs.

sides were whole grain oat bread and yak butter, and garden grape tomatoes.

People keep giving me tomatoes from their gardens. Just got home from work so going to do up an easy toasted tomato and cucumber sandwich with a big ice cold mug of......................milk....

rock, if you like worcestershire sauce, try it on some of those sliced garden tomatoes. one of my faves.

my dad and i would go into the garden with a bottle of worcestershire instead of a salt shaker when i was a kid.

Last edited:

Never mind the................. milk! You said your son is coming to England for 4 months. Which parts of Britain will he be visiting? Is it work or personal?

(Obviously if it is entirely private/personal, then it is absolutely none of my business and please excuse my curiosity).

I'm going to try my first pot roast tonight. I just today bought a Corningware 2.5 qt casserole dish with lid for $24. The chuck roast is part of a bigger one I cut up into smaller pieces. It's only 13 oz which is fine for 2. I thought I'd use this recipe.

Perfect Pot Roast | The Pioneer Woman Cooks | Ree Drummond

I'll have to scale everything back as it's just 13 oz of chuck roast, and reduce the cooking time some too.

I've believe I've got all the necessary fixins. Fresh Rosemary and Thyme sprigs, Beef Stock, Small Potatoes, Onions, Celery, Carrots, Garlic. I also have some burgundy wine. I'm a bit unsure how much rosemary and thyme to add, that stuff is pretty strong smelling. I suppose I'll add some garlic, just toss a whole clove in there amongst the veggies? I'll peel the small potatoes I guess, so they'll cook up better. Not sure how much stock to add.
I'll brown the meat in some oil of course, and do the same with the onion chunks. I'll deglaze the pan too.

If anyone wants to give me some tips, go ahead, I welcome it. In fact, if you want to start from scratch with what is shown and give me proportions, feel free to do so. I haven't started cooking it yet. I've got a cupboard of dry spices and seasonings of course.

pot_roast.jpg

Last edited:
Well I actually felt like cooking and being creative tonight. Steaks with onions, bacon, and goat cheese and sweet potato crumble.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Attachments

• 1410394757132.jpg
    1410394757132.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 159
Looks great, Dave! Caslon, it sounds like you have all the right stuff. Just follow the recipe for the first time, and tweak it if you need to the next time.

We had potstickers along with cukes, carrots, and dip.

Last edited:
caslon, i do mine in a pot on the stovetop, so i'm not sure how it translates to a casserole but here's how i make pot roast.

be sure to heavily salt and pepper the roast before browning. don't be shy. then make sure you get a good, dark browning on all sides of the meat.

when that's done, toast the garlic over low heat in oil and butter in a ss frying pan, and put into pot with the roast, then sweat the onions in the same pan. you can do all of this in one pot but it can get tricky and stuff can get burnt after a few things are cooked in the same vessel, so i like to use a separate pan. when enough fond is built up, i deglaze it with the red wine and add that to the pot.

in goes the carrots and celery, and add the stock and wine so that it just comes up to around 1/3rd the height of the meat. no more than 1/2 way up or you'll be boiling instead of braising when the meat shrinks and the veggies release their liquids.

strip the thyme leaves from about 3 or 4 of the stems and add to the pot. and mince no more than 1" of the rosemary spikes.

rosemary is strong, so go easy with it.

cover and let it simmer for an hour and a half, then turn the meat over and add the potatoes. if you put the spuds in from the beginning they'll break up and disintegrate into the liquid.

continue simmering until the meat is fork tender and the potatoes are cooked through.

when done, remove the meat and veggies, and crank the heat up to get the remaining liquid to boil and reduce by at least 1/3rd. taste and adjust with salt and pepper, then add a cornstarch slurry to thicken it into a gravy. you can also add butter for a richer gravy.

some people like to blend up the carrots, onions, and celery and strain to add to the liquid before reducing for gravy. i usually just serve them on the side.

also, instead of cooking my potatoes in with the roast, i maked mashed separately. nothing goes better with pot roast and veg than gravy smothered mashed potatoes.

hth.

Last edited:
Ok thanks. I wasn't sure how much liquid to use. I'd rather the potatoes go in with everything else. Is that because they will over cook for that 1.5 hours??? What about if I add them in after 1.5 hours....then I have to keep cooking till the potatoes are done? That may be too long as the meat should be done in those 1.5 hours.

I cooked beef stew with the potatoes in from the get go and they came out alright. I'm sorta trying for ease of cooking here.

I'd like to add in the potatoes from the get go since the cooking temp is only around 225F.

Thanks also about the garlic and not to use too much of the fresh herbs too.

Last edited:
de nada.

yeah, you want the potatoes to just be done, not broken up into bits. 2 hours or more in a simmering liquid would be way too much. just the last 1/2 hour to 45 minutes will do the trick.

For sake of ease, I'm gonna add the potatoes and hope they don't over cook, they are in pretty good sized chunks. I may learn my lesson you understand, hahaha. Thanks for the tips.

Never mind the................. milk! You said your son is coming to England for 4 months. Which parts of Britain will he be visiting? Is it work or personal?

(Obviously if it is entirely private/personal, then it is absolutely none of my business and please excuse my curiosity).
No problem. My son is a musician and last year while he was working on a cruise ship in the Caribbean he met a English girl. He is heading over to spend a few months with her. She is from Leeds.

For sake of ease, I'm gonna add the potatoes and hope they don't over cook, they are in pretty good sized chunks. I may learn my lesson you understand, hahaha. Thanks for the tips.

They will overcook. Hoping won't make them cook more slowly ;) I set a timer to remind me of when it's time to add the next ingredient.

I had a salad of avocado, cherry tomatoes, and sliced red onion, drizzled with a mix of EVOO and lemon juice. One of my fave throw together salads when I have a ripe avocado.

On the subject of avocados, our grocery store now has "ripe now" avocados. They didn't used to, but now they do. I have to dig around the bin a little, as they are mixed in with the rock hard ones. Now I can finally buy different stages of ripeness. It's a pleasure to find an avocado that I can have within a day or two, and have others that ripen a bit later. Sure do love avocados. :yum:

When you are squeezing avocados to find out if they are ripe, do it gently with your whole hand. Don't just press with the end of a finger or your thumb. That bruises the avocado and it will get soft without telling you if it is ripe.

They will overcook. Hoping won't make them cook more slowly ;) I set a timer to remind me of when it's time to add the next ingredient.

Don't forget, there's a ton of other vegetables in there to absorb some of that 225F oven temp. It's going into the oven. It's in god's hands now. :LOL:

roast1.jpg

Last edited:
Don't forget, there's a ton of other vegetables in there to absorb some of that 225F oven temp. It's going into the oven. It's in god's hands now. :LOL:

roast1.jpg

You will be just fine, Caslon. It will be delicious!

I sometimes put the potatoes in with the rest of the pot roast from the beginning. It makes the liquid thicker, because the potatoes fall apart and partially dissolve into the braising liquid.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom