What we ate on Wednesday (09/10/14)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congrats Caslon! When you're learning to cook something, anything you don't throw out is a success.

To get more flavor into the meat, you might want to cut slits into the meat and stuff a spring of thyme or rosemary into each slit. Make sure you remove them when you take the roast out.

Finally, if you want to set a timer to remind yourself when to add the potatoes, but you don't want to be restricted to the kitchen so you can hear the timer, use your smartphone's timer. Better yet, get yourself a new, free app. I use "Thyme" and haven't had any issues. It has five separate timers: four burner tops and one oven. Set the timer for the specific burner you're using and walk away. And don't forget to pocket your phone. ;)

OK. I definitely failed not heading advice about not adding potatoes at the beginning. The potatoes were the right texture when I stopped cooking, but the meat could have used an extra half hour of cooking time, at which time, the potatoes would've been overcooked, mushy.

Anyways, it's not so scary learning...hehe.

Glad it turned out well :) You might want to double-check the recipe. It called for an oven temperature of 275, not 225 (although I agree with Kayelle that 325 would be even better). That would make a big difference in the cooking time. Also, since pot roasts and stews take such a long time to cook, I figure I might as well make good use of that energy and make a 3-4 lb. roast even though there are just the two of us. Leftover pot roast rocks ;)

Congrats Caslon! When you're learning to cook something, anything you don't throw out is a success.

To get more flavor into the meat, you might want to cut slits into the meat and stuff a spring of thyme or rosemary into each slit. Make sure you remove them when you take the roast out.

Finally, if you want to set a timer to remind yourself when to add the potatoes, but you don't want to be restricted to the kitchen so you can hear the timer, use your smartphone's timer. Better yet, get yourself a new, free app. I use "Thyme" and haven't had any issues. It has five separate timers: four burner tops and one oven. Set the timer for the specific burner you're using and walk away. And don't forget to pocket your phone. ;)
Thanks for the app recommendation CG. It's available for Android now too, so I installed it. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=no.hyper.thyme

Way to go Caslon...I bet your dinner was great!

We had a basket of grilled marinated veggies, along with TJ's Brown Rice Medley (love that stuff) with grilled sticks of shrimp brushed with olive oil and seasoned with Tajin' (lime, salt and chili). Good eats...

img_1386633_0_d70878f7bce20204b85421b7cb29e124.jpg
That looks sooooo good.

TB had gluten free smokies with tomatoes and cucumber out of our garden.

I had the fresh veggies as part of a quinoa salad with some goat cheese sprinkled on top and a raspberry vinaigrette.

I am trying to use up as much of our organic produce as possible so will have another form of salad for my lighter meal at 5. TB has sandwiches packed as usual!
LP--I saw a segment of Vegan Mash-up today and thought of you re: the frozen tofu grill recipe.

Vegan Mashup | Delicious TV

Thanks for the app recommendation CG. It's available for Android now too, so I installed it. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=no.hyper.thyme

I like it, too. I actually have two timers on my stove and one on the microwave right above it, but I sometimes forget what I set each one for ;) This app would fix that. I also use the countdown timer on the toaster oven, since it turns off after it counts down. That has saved my bread many a time :ermm: :LOL:

I like it, too. I actually have two timers on my stove and one on the microwave right above it, but I sometimes forget what I set each one for ;)...
I forget which burner too. :wacko: My only complaint about "Thyme" is that the ringer isn't really loud. If there is too much noise going on I'm afraid I'll miss hearing it, but that hasn't happened yet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom