What went wrong with my roux?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wendy92153

Assistant Cook
I made my first roux last night for a vegetarian surf and turf gumbo. I used 1/4 cup olive oil, and 1/4 cup flour. Heated it over med heat stirring constantly until nice and blond. The recipe called for vegetable stock to be added slowly, as soon as the stock hit the roux, the whole thing turned to a doughy mess, I was able to salvage it my heating and stirring (a lot), but I don't think I was supposed to get glue.

I did some reading and I think that the roux was too hot when I added the veggie broth, although the veggie broth was quite warm at the time.

Any ideas?

Thanking you in advance,

Wendy

:flowers:

Sounds like you needed more broth. How much broth in total did you add to your roux? When you add the broth slowly... it will start out thick and gooey. But as you add more broth, it should thin out. When all broth is added, bring to a boil and you should have the full thickening power of your roux.

HTH!

Try adding the broth a little bit quicker.... that should help you avoid the gloppy mess!

Well then, I guess my first attempt at roux wasn't a disaster after all! When my roux got all thick and gooey, I kinda panicked and added the rest of the broth, brought it to a boil and whisked the daylights out of it until all the gooey stuff was gone. The gumbo turned out very tasty, so all's well that tastes good.

Thank you so much for helping me out. I am just teaching myself to cook, and have had a few disasters (eg. the red beans and rice that tasted like dog food) but more successes than failures so far.

Wendy

LOL.... sorry about the red beans and rice disaster... did ya have any dogs around???

It sounds like you were on track with the roux. I make my broccoli cheese soup using a roux and I get the same thing when I first add the broth to the roux. Just keep adding the broth and whisking and you are good to go!!!

Welcome to DC!!!

...When my roux got all thick and gooey, I kinda panicked and added the rest of the broth, brought it to a boil and whisked the daylights out of it until all the gooey stuff was gone...

This is what you should be doing. Once the roux is ready, you whisk in the broth to make the smooth, thick mixture. It takes a minute or two to get it all blended.

Again, Thank you all so much for your timely response to my question. It is very comforting to know that I did nothing wrong with my roux. I have been very afraid of trying this for a long time, and I was very scared making it. I have a tendency to screw things up in the kitchen and I am desperately trying to change that.

I find that I really appreciate those that welcome the effort and ignore the outcome.

ohh i didnt see anyone touching on this but a roux is support to be fat and flour of equal weights. this also could have been a little bit a of a problem.

but i usually make my roux and I add the roux to the stock till i get it the way i want.

She does have equal parts fat and flour...

...I used 1/4 cup olive oil, and 1/4 cup flour...

A while back, there was a thread that discussed whether people used oil or true fat (butter, shortening, etc...). It was a very interesting thread and if I knew how to link it here, I would :). I'll try to find it though ...

The thread is called just called "Roux". It was started on 10/11/2008 by Zelda529. Again, interesting to read ... :)

She does have equal parts fat and flour...

A while back, there was a thread that discussed whether people used oil or true fat (butter, shortening, etc...). It was a very interesting thread and if I knew how to link it here, I would :). I'll try to find it though ...

1/4 cup of oil and 1/4 cup of flour are not equal weights, they are equal volumes.

I'm not sure what you meanby a true fat. Oils, butter and shortening are all fats.

1/4 cup of oil and 1/4 cup of flour are not equal weights, they are equal volumes.

Right, that's why I said equal parts rather than weights (as GRK had said). I don't cook or bake by weight - I've never had any better results than when I use straight measureing cups / spoons. I know many people have, I just haven't. Anyway ... that's why I said she had used equal parts.

I'm not sure what you meanby a true fat. Oils, butter and shortening are all fats.

In my brain, I was thinking true = solid. Too distracted for my fingers and brain to be working in unison :rolleyes:.

When I make my roux I always do butter and flour (equal parts). I always add stock until it gets to thick then add more. I don't really measure, so I just wait until I get my desired consistency.

I made my first roux last night for a vegetarian surf and turf gumbo. I used 1/4 cup olive oil, and 1/4 cup flour. Heated it over med heat stirring constantly until nice and blond. The recipe called for vegetable stock to be added slowly, as soon as the stock hit the roux, the whole thing turned to a doughy mess, I was able to salvage it my heating and stirring (a lot), but I don't think I was supposed to get glue.

I did some reading and I think that the roux was too hot when I added the veggie broth, although the veggie broth was quite warm at the time.

Any ideas?

Thanking you in advance,

Wendy

:flowers:

Take the pot off the heat and let it cool slightly, then add your liquid a little at a time, whisking until smooth with each addition, then return to heat (med), and cook, stirring frequently, until thickened.

Once you get the hang of it, it will become second nature.

I also do it like Constance does, a friend taught me this, and boy does it help to prevent lumps (and burns on me!). All in all, though, Wendy, you did well. It's true - once you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature. I noticed another thread asking about the best powder for gravy mix....if you're not doing a reduction gravy, you can just do a roux right in your roasting pan on top of the stove, seasoning it with salt & pepper. Sometimes I'll splash a drop of wine in there to give it some acidity. No special powder required.

Back
Top Bottom