What's Cooking Thursday, 3/31/11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I was thinking about RockLobster and his dog's recent advanture with the porcupine.

I was also thinking about dinner, which I decided would be taco meat mixture and some of the wild rice blend I made yesterday using some bok choy broth.

After I mixed them together, i was thinking about how it would make some really nice meatballs, and I came up with this:

PORCUPINE BALLS

Cooked wild/brown rice blend
Taco meat mixture
Egg to bind.

Form balls loosely so the rice sticks out a little.

Put on a baking sheet or in a muffin tin.

Spoon a little taco sauce or salsa on each porcupine.

Bake 350° for about 30 minutes.

So that's what's for dinner here. What are you making?:chef:

Last edited:
I bought some beautiful yellow fin tuna steaks at the market and will marinate them in sesame oil, garlic, lemon juice and zest, ginger, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper, then lightly grill them. We're going to have baked potatoes, steamed Italian green beans, tossed salad, iced tea and raisin pie fresh from the oven. That should do it.

What is in the main dish?:chef:

It's flat round piece of dough about 7" to 8" in diameter covered with a mixture of ground meat, tomato, green pepper, spices, etc. and baked.

I buy mine from an Armenian market in the area. It's a very labor intensive product and I don't have the patience to spend all day making it.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 91
My travels for work have got to change routes. Been feeling pretty crabby today and yesterday. It's been messing with our menu.

Yesterday it was these.
36788-albums309-picture2636.jpg

Now today it's these.
36788-albums309-picture2635.jpg

What can you do?:rolleyes:

Craig

You just have to stiffen your upper lip and work through the pain...

I have some meat sauce simmering for spaghetti.

I know you've had the steamers, but have you ever had Florida stone crab claws. The truely renewable resource, as the crab gets to grow new claws for us to have next season.;) I get to crack and Karen gets to make the mustard sauce, recipe from Joe's Stone Crabs on south beach. The best thing about Grimm's Stone Crabs (where I bought them) is they were off loaded and cooked this morning, from their own boats.

Craig

It's flat round piece of dough about 7" to 8" in diameter covered with a mixture of ground meat, tomato, green pepper, spices, etc. and baked.

I buy mine from an Armenian market in the area. It's a very labor intensive product and I don't have the patience to spend all day making it.

It sounds and looks really good. Thanks.

I know you've had the steamers, but have you ever had Florida stone crab claws. The truely renewable resource, as the crab gets to grow new claws for us to have next season.;) I get to crack and Karen gets to make the mustard sauce, recipe from Joe's Stone Crabs on south beach. The best thing about Grimm's Stone Crabs (where I bought them) is they were off loaded and cooked this morning, from their own boats.

Craig

I don't believe I have had stone crab... will have to add that to the list.

leftovers here. Spaghetti, tacos, butternut squash soup, salads. I'll empty the fridge and folks can fill a plate and nuke it.

Hmmm...something squishy. Tomorrow is lasagna so tonight will be something like tortellini or mac and cheese.

Tonight was Shake-n-Bake pork chops, salad, steamed broccoli, and steamed asparagus.

The Porcupine Balls came out really good. I added what I thought was too much egg to the mix, but the egg tasted really good with the flavors, kind of like the egg in fried rice. I'll definitely make them again.

It was nice to pop them out of the muffin tins and save have a dozen in the freezer for another time.

I've gotten 7 eggs in the last 2 days from my 5 hens, so scrambled eggs for me tonight.

it is 83 degrees here at five thirty. wanted wings but did not want to heat up the oven. so put in a bag with sweet baby rays sauce, squished them all around in sauce. put in micro on high for 12 min. was planning a salad with them but the bean one looks better that what i was going to do. no shrimp , eat a shrimp salad last night. so will do lettuce, white beans, onions, bacon bits and some dressing . have poppy seed and spinach. spinach dressing i am thinking. no muss and no fuss and no hot kitchen. clean up will be a breeze.

cobbled a salad together last night, butter lettuce, sautéed shrimp in butter with seasonings. put on top, then some mandarin orange slices. very refreshing and good. did the poppy seed dressing. was stuffed.

Back
Top Bottom