What's cooking Tues January 9, 2018?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
The Elders are having meatloaf, scalloped potatoes, peas, small salad for Dad. I am not feeling great. Made hot and sour soup for myself.

I am making a hoagie with ham, Italian hard salami, white American cheese, lettuce, pepperoncinis, mayo, a dash or two of balsamic vinegar and fresh cracked pepper. Some Lay's chips on the side.

CD

I'm trying a new recipe, shakshuka, a dish from the Middle East/ northern Africa. Never had it before but we'll see how it's received.

I'm trying a new recipe, shakshuka, a dish from the Middle East/ northern Africa. Never had it before but we'll see how it's received.

I love shakshuka. I made it for my family once, and they loved it. Just be careful not to overcook the eggs. I did that the first time I made it. They cooked faster than I thought they would.

CD

Shakshuka is perfect for cold weather. I hope you enjoy it, Andy.

We're on the road. Got a VERY late start. So far we each had a Wendy's Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger when we stopped for gas. We'll make an all-in-one stop for food/pit stop in about an hour at a favorite quick stop: Eat n Park.

We are going for Pho because while I can finally eat something and keep it around for a bit, I have no energy to make the food first. I will probably have chicken Pho (You have to ask for it and even then sometimes they say they don't make it LOL)

I love shakshuka. I made it for my family once, and they loved it. Just be careful not to overcook the eggs. I did that the first time I made it. They cooked faster than I thought they would.

CD

Shakshuka is perfect for cold weather. I hope you enjoy it, Andy...

Casey, the eggs took longer to cook than I expected!

In what I consider a complete reversal of the norms around this household, both SO and GD liked it and I did not.

Casey, the eggs took longer to cook than I expected!

In what I consider a complete reversal of the norms around this household, both SO and GD liked it and I did not.

LOL, I overcooked mine the first time. I hope my advice didn't cause you to undercook yours. :angel:

Just curious, what didn't you like about it?

CD

I put together an "on the fly" chicken casserole that turned out to be tasty, and a little different.

The "no details" version was a box of prepared seasoned brown/wild rice, chicken breast chunks, celery/mushrooms/onion/pimentos/slivered almonds. Sauce was white wine mixed with Golden Mushroom Soup, and the casserole was topped with buttered crushed Ritz crackers baked till a golden brown. SC's spinach salads were just right with the meal.

Last edited:
LOL, I overcooked mine the first time. I hope my advice didn't cause you to undercook yours. :angel:

Just curious, what didn't you like about it?

CD

The combination of flavors just didn't do it for me. Considering I enjoy all the ingredients in other recipes, that's odd but I just didn't care for it.

We are going for Pho because while I can finally eat something and keep it around for a bit, I have no energy to make the food first. I will probably have chicken Pho (You have to ask for it and even then sometimes they say they don't make it LOL)

The restaurant is run by several generations of one family and they are getting to know us as we are them. We got one of the last generation, who was ready with the numbers 36 (for me) and 9 Large for TB but we both fooled her. I asked if it was possible to get a small chicken Pho as I haven't been feeling well and she said she would check. TB gave her his order and she was off to talk to "Gramma". I could see them pointing at me. I had already given the tempura I always order as a back-up so we weren't expecting her to come back either way.

When the food came, I had a large bowl of chicken soup like you have never tasted before. It had ginger, lemongrass, and lemon in it and was the best soup (of any kind) I have ever had.

Apparently I am on Gramma's good list as she made it herself! :)

We had a lovely chicken stew, with carrots, celeriac ( (Apium graveolens var. rapaceum) and broccoli steams and served with broccoli florets and potatoes.

It was very yummy and we all loved it so it will be back on the menu as soon as broccoli is cheap again.

Beef Taco, Guacamole Tostada and beans, lovely tomatillo salsa and a fantastic pico de gallo. Ice water.

We had a lovely chicken stew, with carrots, celeriac ( (Apium graveolens var. rapaceum) and broccoli steams and served with broccoli florets and potatoes.

It was very yummy and we all loved it so it will be back on the menu as soon as broccoli is cheap again.

AKA celery root in the US.

Also, broccoli stems have good flavor, and I find that they are better cooked in something, as you did. The florets are best, IMO, just barely cooked.

Nice sounding meal.

CD

Last edited:
caseydog: well since there is a ton of names even in the USA , I am pondering just to go for latin.
Celeriac = celery root = celery knob = turnip-rooted celery = knob celery = Germany celery = soup celery = turnip celery = céleri-rave

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom