Whats for dinner 18th Feb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jikoni

Sous Chef
We are having a japanese dinner in front of the tv watching the winter olympics bob sleigh. Miso soup, sushi and some veggie tempura, and sake for the adults.I better get my mis-en-place.:)

Last edited:
i'm gonna root for sushi/sashimi, but it is up to dw, for what she is able to eat. she'll probably suggest italian take out since we haven't had that in a week or 2, but i'll have to convince her how much better for her health, and how much easier it is to eat sashimi.

Buckytom, how is your wife feeling? how are you doing - taking care of everyone is a work!

Tonight, it will be sticky chicken, roasted red and white potatoes with onions OR potatoe snow balls (haven't decided) - brocolli with cheese sauce - possibly a salad (if I'm in the mood) and rolls - of course, lets not forget the wine.

For dessert, chocolate truffle and caramel pie.

We are celebrating Valentines day tonight (got the grandparents to babysit and everything :)). I think we are going to The Sole Proprietor, but not positive yet. DW likes fish, but is never blown away by it. Whenever she thinks of a date she thinks Italian food (Bucky it sounds like you and I are in the same boat tonight). I have a feeling we will end up at The Sole Proprietor though. I have been staring at the menu for days trying to decide what I would get. So many choices! They serve lunch all day and night so to keep the cost down I might get a lunch dish and then I won't feel so guilty about getting some stuff from the raw bar and some drinks.

last night it was chey le robert on north side of San Fran. The food could have been wonderful but I think wine may have played a part in why it wasn't that wonderful. anyway, tonight, I think I'll make my way to an early adventure on fisherman's wharf and have lobstah/sour dough/and a fruity cocktail before hitting the soft square thing and dozing off...:ermm:

same boat gb, yup, that's us, captains courageous. :)

that restaurant looks good. i woulda said to start with the irish smoked salmon, but it's only smoked in "the irish tradition". it's not the tradition, but irish salmon, from extremely clean waters in and around ireland, that makes it special.

instead, if it were me, i'd order:

for appy - the smoked seafood sampler, the goat cheese cake, and a half dozen oysters on the half. (what is purified oysters?)

for the entree - the swordfish/pancetta or the haddock bouillabase looks really good. a side of spinach with garlic, and asparagus with hollondaise.

i would try to talk dw into getting a 2 or 2.5 lb steamed lobster, and we would share everything. for us, that means she gets the tail, i may get a bite, but i get the claws. dw always goes for the small legs too, saying they're the best part, especially on bigger lobsters. the back end of a butter knife works well to squeeze out the meat.

just curious, what is airline chicken? do they pull it thru a jet engine to tenderize it? and what are super jumbo shrimp? U-3's?

for wine, the suggested fume blanc looks good to go with all of the fish.

have fun man, you deserve it. and give our best to mrs. b., and your sweet baby b.. happy belated valentines.

Thanks Bucky!

I love the raw stuff, but DW won't touch it. I know I would start with a half dozen oysters for sure (not sure what purified is though, but how can it be bad :)). The smoked seafood sampler looks good too, but I am not crazy about mussles since I used to use them as bait and now have a hard time seeing them as anything else. The Tuna Sashimi looks great too, but again DW won't go near it :(

For my meal I am thinking of the Ginger Cream Tuna with Apples or maybe Tuna Tenders with Black Pepper Fettuccini. The Trout with Mango Salsa and the Haddock and Seafood Bouillbaisse are in the running too.

We also though about just going there later instead of for a meal and getting just apps and drinks. I would probably get some mojitos or maybe we would share the Sole Bowl drink for two.

Oh wait, I think I found the winner. I think I will get the Bacon Gorgonzola Shrimp Fettuccine.

We'll either go out to the local burger place... huge burgers and the best milkshakes in WA or... I'll make spaghetti. Depends on what mom is in the mood for.

Having some friends over from church. Mrs. Big Dog is cooking a Crescent Chicken casserole. I just broke down 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts and grilled them on the GF. They are cooling now waiting to be diced. Then Mrs. Big Dog takes over, mixing the chicken with finely shredded mild cheddar, then essentially "stuffing" Pillsbury crescent rolls and baking them in cream of chicken soup and more cheese. Might be a bit more in the sauce, I dunno.

Got some buffalo wings in the oven too. Left over from the Super Bowl party. They were still uncooked and frozen since then, so I figured t'was time to cook 'em up and indulge! :chef:

Like every Saturday night..

It's chinese. We have a great, single proprietor, restaurant we hit weekly. Portions are huge, so we have veggie eggrolls and split a main course and iced tea. It's followed by a complimentary almond cookie, fortune cookie and a all you can eat ice cream from the serve yourself machine. Price? Sit down. With 8.25% sales tax, $14.24. Eat your hearts out :mrgreen:

Since I've had the flu for 2 days, daughter is cooking tonight..All I have to do is be there..Some chicken picatta, withbuttered linguine, veggies and salad, and kugelhof that I made..Just hope I can eat. Food has not bee on my list of lets do these days..
kadesma:) rocky still but on my feet a least.

I was chatting with Michellemarie today and she mentioned my chicken scampi....so that's what I'm making tonight. Haven't decided if I'm making it over rice or angelhair pasta though. Also on the menu is Artichokes with melted butter, romaine/cucumber/tomato/salad and english white cheddar cubes to snack on while I'm waiting for the artichokes to cook.

Back
Top Bottom