What's for dinner Monday, 1-20-2020

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One pan baked garlic/honey chicken thighs with veggies.. Served with white rice..

Jeannie baked sesame seed cookies for dessert.. Love those things.. :yum:

Ross

Tonight’s dinner will be turkey noodle soup for SO and tomato soup and a tuna sandwich for me.

Slow cooker wine-braised lamb shanks with brown rice and sauteed spinach.

I was disappointed with the braising sauce. (I was following a "classic" recipe).
It used much more wine than broth, and it also piled on the crushed tomatoes. I should have followed my instinct to switch the proportions of wine and broth, and cut WAY back on the tomatoes. I think the recipe author, who offered the slow cooker version as a variant, didn't make enough allowance for the difference in technique.

Still it's made! And it only requires reheating. And I'll get 3 meals out of it one way or another!

Wonderful sounding dinners, everyone. :yum: Stuffed bell pepper here this afternoon - garlicky toasted sourdough bread for a side.

I made an unusual sambar tonight, unusual because I added some quinoa to it, to thicken it some, and add some nutrition, but also because I used a vegetable almost never seen in Indian cooking: Brussels sprouts. I had some that I had to do something with. So I cleaned them up, sliced them in half, and microwaved them for 3 min, then chilled them quickly in running water. I substituted this in a sambar that originally had cauliflower, but instead of cooking them for too long, as well as cooking more when reheating (almost nothing worse than overcooked Brussels sprouts!), I simply cooked the sambar, and ladled some on a serving of the blanched Brussels sprouts in a bowl, and let it sit a couple of minutes, before eating. Turned out great! And I'll repeat this by stirring some of the Brussels sprouts into reheated leftovers, and no overcooking.

In between grinding 12# of pork shoulder and 12# of beef knuckle, I managed to make beef stew.

Back
Top Bottom