What's for dinner? Monday 12-28-15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
I'm going to build a taco salad for this afternoon's dinner. Chunks of iceberg lettuce, scallions, and grape tomatoes, topped with seasoned ground beef, olives, shredded cheddar and jack, and tortilla chips. I don't have any ready made tortilla chips so will make my own.

I'm thinking for the dressing, I'll use ranch mixed with a little adobo sauce.

What's on everyone's plate for this evening? :chef:

Last edited:
It finally cooled off enough for me to make a pot of soup using some of the broth I made the other day. I added the last bits of the Christmas ham, an onion, carrot and celery from the vegetable crisper along with a few split peas from the pantry! That will take care of dinner tonight and lunch for the next couple of days. I need a couple of quick, scrappy meal ideas for tomorrow and Wednesday night. Maybe eggs one night and ???? the next! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Keeping things on the lighter side again tonight, I threw together some shrimp cocktails and stir fried veggies.

img_1448798_0_36f40360a34d6324798868ac6ad0e6d4.jpg

That looks beautiful Steve.

My Steve (SousChef) brought home a value pack of some nice loin pork chops, so after their done with their brine bath later I'll pack them up for the freezer and pan fry two of them for dinner. I'll do some kind of a finish sauce for them, and who knows what else will round out the meal.

Not very hungry, but I might make salads later. DH and I went to the new Star Wars movie this afternoon. It ended about 4 pm and we went to Taco Bell to get a quick bite.

I tried out a strange recipe - variation on spaghetti carbonara except it was baked to form a savoury 'cake'. It had the usual suspects, e.g. cream, eggs, cheese plus sun blushed tomatoes, red chilli and - curiously raw spinach - folded into cooked spaghetti. My instinct told me that the raw spinach would not work well and, sure enough this was the case. The exposed raw bits went crisp and brown (not great).

Needless to say, another recipe hits the bin (I tend to cut out recipes from magazines etc).

I had a ball of pizza dough in the freezer so that's what's for dinner. I suppose, I'll thaw it, roll it out and top it to make it a more complete meal.

Cheryl, I like that idea of the ranch and adodo...

Somehow, the day got away from me, again... what is it when you retire? Time just flys by you... unlike when we were working, retirement couldn't come soon enough, time dragged by.

Tonight will be simple, broiled (dang it, I still don't have a grill, dang it) Flank Steak and a medium sized side salad.

We had a nice big breakfast
001.JPG
leftover dressing from our Day After Christmas Dinner
and like so many dishes I see now, a fried egg on top, MMM!
Man, that was CRAZY good!

003.JPG
Then lunch was a mini version, yaknow, ya gotta eat up those leftovers,
ya don't want `em goin' bad ;)
Dessert will be Rum Cake that I found in the deep freeze, the Apple Crostata is GONE :pig:

Wow....the dinner pics here this evening have my mouth watering! :yum: Steve, your shrimp cocktail and veggies looks amazing.

Joey, I'd love one of your open faced pork sammies.

Kgirl, that's a perfect fried egg, IMO. Just how I love them, and what a good idea to serve one over stuffing. Yum. As for the adobo and ranch dressing mix...it's really good. I buy a small can of Herdez Chipotle Peppers in Adobo, chop the peppers, pour it all into a freezer ziplock bag, flatten it, and freeze. Whenever I need a little, I just break some of it off and refreeze the rest. I can never go through even a small can myself. It's also really good mixed with plain greek yogurt or sour cream as a topping for fish tacos. :yum:

Last edited:
I bet Andy's dough ball with toppings is waay better than the warmed up leftover pizza delivery I got yesterday and hardly put a dent in it. Pepperoni, I added sliced olives.

I had a $4 off any frozen pizza coupon from Ralphs (Kroeger's) and a choice of pizza specials under $5, so I'm having California Pizza Kitchen BBQ chicken with bacon. I'd have a salad but I've been munching raw vegetables (mostly green onions) so I guess it's pizza night.

I didn't like that I couldn't see enough BBQ sauce so I drizzled some of my own on top. :)

Pretty food pics. :yum: Taking photos isn't on my mind right now since I'm too busy visiting!

We're using up the lasagna...slowly. We were first expecting 7, so I cooked for 14. :wacko: Only 4 of us here on Christmas. Lots of leftovers! We managed to clean up about half of the 9x9 pan. Due to feeling withdrawal from veggies, I made a huge salad, too. Salad's gone!

...I'll do some kind of a finish sauce for them...
How did you finish off tonight's chops, Kayelle? This is too late, but this might give you an idea for some of those that went into the freezer: Pork Chops with Thyme Pan Sauce We have small boneless pork loin roasts in our freezer from a big one I bought last month (or October). I'm planning on cutting one of those into chops and using half of them to make this for dinner sometime after we get back.

Pretty food pics. :yum: Taking photos isn't on my mind right now since I'm too busy visiting!

We're using up the lasagna...slowly. We were first expecting 7, so I cooked for 14. :wacko: Only 4 of us here on Christmas. Lots of leftovers! We managed to clean up about half of the 9x9 pan. Due to feeling withdrawal from veggies, I made a huge salad, too. Salad's gone!

How did you finish off tonight's chops, Kayelle? This is too late, but this might give you an idea for some of those that went into the freezer: Pork Chops with Thyme Pan Sauce We have small boneless pork loin roasts in our freezer from a big one I bought last month (or October). I'm planning on cutting one of those into chops and using half of them to make this for dinner sometime after we get back.

Thanks for that CG. The pan sauce I've been doing for chops is almost exactly like that, with some cream and Dijon mustard to the mix. It's so durn good, it's hard to change. Slurp.*

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom