What's for dinner, Monday, April 9, 2007?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lulu

Head Chef
So warm here, we are really basking in it now......

I coated some chicken legs in honey and mustard yesterday and we'll have them cold with some ugly tomatos sliced and seasons and some basil, we have a buffulo mozzerella, a nice chevre, some gorgonzola too. But we are out of bread because I forgot how much DH grazes and had not prepared for enough daytime food... so we'll have celery and carrot sticks and a bottle of rose and the rest of yesterday's spanish Cream for pudding. :)

ETA, oh, I'm such a copy cat...Urmaniac's post below has convinced me to throw some polenta into the mix....solves the carb problem for DH!

Last edited:
Agh!! I hate it when we find out that we are out of bread!!:wacko:
So we try to keep a few packages of semi-ready-to-serve baguettes (stuff that are sold vacuum packed and you pop in the oven for 8-10 minutes...very handy and reasonably good) in stock for this sort of emergencies!

Not sure what we would do today yet... maybe some polenta with shrooms and sausage sauce, or chilli, or maybe we will go to Metro this afternoon if it is open, we often find great produce on sale there, so we may pick up something that inspire us for our din-din:-p

I've got a couple racks of spareribs. I'm going to season them with a dry rub here in a little bit, then later this afternoon I'll smoke them. Maybe make some potato salad and cole slaw.

Not cooking -Monday's Girls night out, but can't wait to have our left over Honey Baked ham tomorrow!

Change of plans- bummer - but one friend is sick, one spent too much money for Easter, and one has to be to work at 6am.
Supper will be Ham sandwiches, fries, cole slaw amd pie for dessert, (made three diff. ones for Easter).

Last edited:
I am trying a new recipe, its a mexican/chicken rice type casserole - I got it out of the Cooks Illustrated Make Ahead Recipe book.

I'm with ya HB:)
Guess I'll start a pot of bean soup with yesterday's ham bone tonight while I'm heating up leftovers. It's still chilly here in Md, so a pot of soup will be good.

I'm trying a new recipe I made up, Lentil PIE! It's basically Shephards PIE with lentils instead of meat, hope it turns out good!

It's a friends last night so he wants authentic Mexican. We are going to go to a neighborhood place, Taqueria Medina. They make homemade corn tortillas for all their tacos & their barbacoa is to die for!

Since my son and I were alone yesterday evening, we ordered a chinese feast.
We'll be feasting on the leftovers for days!

It's just one of my holiday traditions--I worry that I don't have enough food and then end up sending leftovers home with everyone and still having a ton in our fridge!:ROFLMAO: :rolleyes: I'm taking the night off from ham, though, and am making a meatloaf and garlic mashed potatoes. Then it'll be back to the ham tomorrow!

VeraBlue said:
Since my son and I were alone yesterday evening, we ordered a chinese feast.
We'll be feasting on the leftovers for days!

OMG I miss Chinese food....:pig:

Caine said:
I am making my world famous Italian Sausage and Peppers tonight.

love anything world famous:LOL:
care to share what makes them tops?
I have peppers and 5 packages, frozen, of Italian sausages, hot and/or mild.
Easter weekend was wonderful. Saw and smooched the 'grands' and our kids too:-p , ate well and had good visits.
Only problem was, I spent a bit too much so I must make use [now that we're home again from Vegas] [for a good while] of what's on hand in the freezers and the frigs. Don't really need to spend anything anyway, I have so much food in this house I could feed several small cities around the globe. I am wanting to make some meatloaf recipes from here and the Korean ribs from KE but those things'll have to wait for a while.:(

LEFSElover said:
love anything world famous:LOL:
care to share what makes them tops?

I finally remembered to bring my recipe disc to work so I can post recipes as soon as someone asks and I don;t forget, but mainly so that I can check a recipe to ascertain if I will need to make any stops on the way home from work, because once I am in the house, it will normally take a fire or a bomb hoax to get me out.

ITALIAN SAUSAGE AND PEPPERS

INGREDIENTS:

2 pounds of Italian sausage, cut into two-inch pieces
Olive Oil
1 green bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
1 large onion, any variety
6 ounces (approx) Portobello mushrooms
4 cloves of garlic
2 cups of chopped tomatoes, fresh or canned in juice
1 Tbs tomato paste
2 Tbs oregano
1 tsp thyme
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste

Cut onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, and celery into strips. Peel and chop garlic cloves. Brown sausage thoroughly in a sauté pan with olive oil. Remove the sausages and sauté the onions, and peppers in the sausage juice, adding olive oil as required, until soft. Add the garlic and mushrooms and continue to sauté until the garlic is just barely browned. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, thyme, bay leaf, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper and reduce heat to medium low. Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning as desired. Add sausage and allow to simmer, at least partially covered, for at least one hour, stirring occasionally.

Last edited:
Leftover lamb, salmon and asparagus from Easter Dinner. I've got to think of something to do with my ham tommorrow.

Caine said:
ITALIAN SAUSAGE AND PEPPERS
INGREDIENTS:
2 pounds of Italian sausage, cut into two-inch pieces
Olive Oil
1 green bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
1 large onion, any variety
6 ounces (approx) Portobello mushrooms
4 cloves of garlic
2 cups of chopped tomatoes, fresh or canned in juice
1 Tbs tomato paste
2 Tbs oregano
1 tsp thyme
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
Cut onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, and celery into strips. Peel and chop garlic cloves. Brown sausage thoroughly in a sauté pan with olive oil. Remove the sausages and sauté the onions, and peppers in the sausage juice, adding olive oil as required, until soft. Add the garlic and mushrooms and continue to sauté until the garlic is just barely browned. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, thyme, bay leaf, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper and reduce heat to medium low. Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning as desired. Add sausage and allow to simmer, at least partially covered, for at least one hour, stirring occasionally.

sounds delish!:chef:

Back
Top Bottom