What's for Dinner? Monday, Dec. 9, 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kayelle, I'm so happy to hear the good news about your sweet Cheyenne! It's so hard to watch those little preemies catch up to where they should be. I'm keeping her in my prayers.

Forget the pork steaks, we needed REAL comfort food on this dank and gloomy day. I made 3-cheese mac and cheese (used little shells for the pasta part) and fresh broccoli, with a side of reheated ham. Still haven't warmed u.....dang! I was so busy today I forgot to turn up the heat! :ohmy: :LOL:

That's good news on all fronts Kayelle.

I love cucumber pickles of all kinds. How do you make yours?

Never the same way twice it appears. Here's the basics, which is really a starting point.

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup cider vinegar or red or white wine vinegar, rice wine vinegar
1/4 to 1/2 cup water
1-2 cucumbers, peeled and sliced
1/2 medium sweet onion ( Vidalia) onion, sliced
white pepper to taste ( I just use black pepper for everyday at home
Toasted coriander seeds, mustard seeds, celery seeds, fennel seeds ( a few) one or two small hot peppers, for color. or a couple small bay leafs or a herb sprig from the garden. ) Probably a tsp or so of any one or mixed seeds total. Toasted coriander and mustard seeds are my current faves. The only thing that doesn't work is sliced Radishes, turns the liquid pink.

Peel cukes. If de-seeding, slice the long way and scoop out seeds. Thin slice in half moons, otherwise round slices. Or score cucumber skin with a fork before slicing. Heavily salt cukes and allow to drain in a strainer for 30 minutes or so. I usually skip this part.

In a small pan heat vinegar and sugar stirring until sugar dissolves. Doesn't need to boil. Add about half as much water as vinegar and adjust to taste preference.

Rinse salt off cukes, add to vinegar along with sliced onion in a glass bowl.

Add in any herbs or spices if using.

Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.

If all the cucumbers and onions are eaten reserve the vinegar/water/sugar mix and add fresh cucumbers and onion.

Last edited:
Kayelle, great to hear that Cheyenne is thriving.

I'm feeling a bit better, but still doing mostly BRATT diet. So, my supper consists of some French fries, whole wheat saltines, some applesauce, and a banana with a cup of black Earl Grey tea that has a couple of ginger slices at the bottom.

Kayelle, my youngest grandchild was born in July at 31 weeks. He too had initial probs picking up the 'sucking instinct' but came home at 36 weeks. He is now 2 months corrected age and weighs a whopping 11lbs 9oz. Your little Cheyenne will soon be right up there with the rest of the pack!

We had Gravy's mock KFC chicken thighs last night, with roast tatties, baked beans and zucchini. Very delish!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom